Media Day Pictures.

Real Sasquatch

2 hours ago, Counts said:

Ridgeview Wolf PackFB_IMG_1660133884469.thumb.jpg.e78cc79c9b234469641c906af37d01a2.jpg

RV…and Marion and Central, should have put their seniors in a white jersey.  I think it looks so much better.  Put them in white and in the front row numerically.  Such a sharp look.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

RV…and Marion and Central, should have put their seniors in a white jersey.  I think it looks so much better.  Put them in white and in the front row numerically.  Such a sharp look.

There are some people involved in taking the team picture that say its "too hard" for them to tell who the kids are if they are all in numerical order regardless of class. I agree it looks so much better but sometimes its not worth the trouble. Also media day is the worst day of the year for most coaches. Having to hand out everything then take it back up, losing 30 minutes of practice time and the focus of some of your younger players on top of that. 

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Help me, Union fans.  Is it normal to have 20 coaches/ assistants on the team?  I vaguely recall someone mentioning something about this a year or two ago…..remarking that it is getting ridiculous with the amount of people on the sidelines.  

For comparison I just checked RV and they have 10 and Central as 11.  Marion had a smaller group than that.

7 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Help me, Union fans.  Is it normal to have 20 coaches/ assistants on the team?  I vaguely recall someone mentioning something about this a year or two ago…..remarking that it is getting ridiculous with the amount of people on the sidelines.  

For comparison I just checked RV and they have 10 and Central as 11.  Marion had a smaller group than that.

A lot of the coaches in Tazewell County are non-paid volunteers and go through a background check.  Maybe Union does something similar.

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

We're working on our 1 to 1 initiative. One coach for each player. LOL

Yea, it's ridiculous and always has been. Although, some of the folks pictured aren't really coaches. They just setup/transport equipment and help with "housekeeping" duties. There is no shortage of volunteers in BSG/Appy when it comes to football!

12 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

We're working on our 1 to 1 initiative. One coach for each player. LOL

Yea, it's ridiculous and always has been. Although, some of the folks pictured aren't really coaches. They just setup/transport equipment and help with "housekeeping" duties. There is no shortage of volunteers in BSG/Appy when it comes to football!

I can only speak for Smyth county as far as number of stipends but they only get a head coach stipend and 4 assistance. That is at a bear minimum 1 stipend too short. Most programs like you said rely on volunteers to fill those other spots that you need to run a good program. Some school split stipends and pay under the table. Chilhowie (rumor but this is what I heard) give some coaches indoor and outdoor track stipends to fill out there 13 man coaching staff. Then you have schools like Northwood with very few male teachers in the building and have to rely on people from the community to coach which usually ends up being dads. 

Union is trying to beat JI Burton's Guinness World Record for largest high school coaching staff, they're well on their way!

@Jags52  do those 5 paid positions include JV?   That's nowhere near enough to run a program correctly. Dad's are good to have around but there are inherent problems with relying on them to actually coach and not just help out

5 hours ago, redtiger said:

Union is trying to beat JI Burton's Guinness World Record for largest high school coaching staff, they're well on their way!

@Jags52  do those 5 paid positions include JV?   That's nowhere near enough to run a program correctly. Dad's are good to have around but there are inherent problems with relying on them to actually coach and not just help out

5 paid spots for both jv and varsity it’s tough football takes a lot of time if you coach you don’t do it for the pay but it’s hard to ask someone to put in that time for nothing or even half a stipend 

1 minute ago, Jags52 said:

You are right, but just like every other tread we ended up going down a completely different rabbit hole

It’s the nature of the beast! I would post pictures but I don’t know how to shrink the size to allow them to post 😂 I need insert pic on SWVA Sports for Dummies crash course.

11 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

It’s the nature of the beast! I would post pictures but I don’t know how to shrink the size to allow them to post 😂 I need insert pic on SWVA Sports for Dummies crash course.

If you have Graham's send it to me. Don't modify it please.