SWD Predictions

bulldog05-CO2017

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

1.  Graham

2 - 4: V-High, Tazewell, Richlands

(any of these 3 could wind up 2nd)

5.  Marion

Definitely Graham first, as far as Tazewell, V-High and Richlands, I’m waiting til the first regular season game before I make any true statements. But if I’m gonna go with my gut. 

1. Graham

2. Tazewell

3. Richlands

4. Va High

5. Marion

As said, that’s my gut/hope. Lol. Good luck to all area teams. 

Graham is the clear favorite and its not close regardless of their skill positions they have the best line on both sides of the ball in the district.

2-5 could go anywhere though each team in that group has their pros and cons

Tazewell- probably has the most coming back with Harris and Creasy but until I see consistent line play out of them and some sort of run game I will still question their ability to win the big game. Very talented and high numbers compared to recent years. If anyone can knock off Graham its them IMO but they have to play a perfect game. You also have to wonder how they handle the success from the last few years. Do they have a taste of winning and they know what it takes and keep it going or do they get complacent. 

Richlands- They are a polar opposite of Tazewell. Traditional great line play but they lack a truly explosive play maker.  Webb and Simmons are gone and they are going to rely heavily on Brown and the run game. If that gets going It may be the first winning season since Mance. If not it could be another long year for big blue nation.

VA high- Can they replace the production of Stevie. For the past 4 years their offense has been put the ball in Stevie's very capable hands and get the hell out of the way and that has worked out for them. Now all the pressure falls on Brody Jones and Poku. Brody is a man child and Poku can fly can make plays to keep them in a lot of games. Defense was a weak spot for them last year if they are more sound on that side of the ball and find a run game so they can air it out they might be in good shape.

"Candy Canes"- Last few years have been a struggle but one thing that Marion has going for them that is an advantage is they did not lose a single play maker from last year. These guys also have another year to grow under their belt. New coach, new system, and maybe a new mind set. If they can build some momentum early in the season they could be dangerous. If they sweep Chilhowie, Northwood and Grayson and slipt or play Central and GC close they could be 4-1 3-2 going into the Abingdon game full of confidence and starting to gel they could surprise one of the teams above them. Or they could crash and burn who knows but this district has to potential to be very interesting the last 4 weeks with the 2-5 teams fighting for seeding or a playoff birth.  

I think Tazewell was working on their routes with the younger receivers in their scrimmage with Radford.  Harris was only targeted 3 or 4 times and sat out a lot of the scrimmage.  It's hard to tell from the first scrimmage for Tazewell, Creasy did a good job of escaping pressure and making good throws.  Several passes were dropped or just out of reach.  The run game wasn't worked on much.  Defensively, they held Radford in check pretty well, except for a couple of long Touchdown throws.  Radford has some good looking athletes and I'm sure they were working on specifics also.  We'll see how it goes next week.  The Virginia High game being in that first week will be very telling for both teams.

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I think Tazewell was working on their routes with the younger receivers in their scrimmage with Radford.  Harris was only targeted 3 or 4 times and sat out a lot of the scrimmage.  It's hard to tell from the first scrimmage for Tazewell, Creasy did a good job of escaping pressure and making good throws.  Several passes were dropped or just out of reach.  The run game wasn't worked on much.  Defensively, they held Radford in check pretty well, except for a couple of long Touchdown throws.  Radford has some good looking athletes and I'm sure they were working on specifics also.  We'll see how it goes next week.  The Virginia High game being in that first week will be very telling for both teams.

Radford has a change at QB, maybe.  The VT commit, Marcell Baylor, who is also electric at QB and would be an All State type QB this year didn't take one snap at QB in this scrimmage for Radford.  He's recruited to VT as athlete/DB. They put Baylor at WR and he is the one who caught the first TD pass.  They had another kid at QB and Radford had him throwing it a bunch, far more than a normal Radford team likes to throw it.  It was clear they were working on getting that new kid at QB settled in.  He could sling it pretty good.  Baylor will be WR, unless Radford just didn't want to get him hurt and wanted to find depth at QB or something.  Baylor did not play much.  I have no idea if they are going with the other kid at QB or not. 

20 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Creasy needs to work on looking for the big hitter when teams gang up to take away Harris.  On several plays, Radford ran single-high safety and committed the cardinal sin of allowing an uninterrupted release to the WR.  If Creasy recognizes that and hits the WR in stride (which he’s more than capable of doing), it’s an automatic TD.  Harris is resting a little, mending some wear and tear from 7-on-7s, hence the limited play and limited targets.

Tazewell’s run defense was pretty doggone impressive.  That was a huge problem last year: Tazewell couldn’t get teams off the field who set up the run well.  That problem looked solved.  As you say, the big plays were on secondary novice and miscommunication leading to broken big gainers.  

Certainly much to work on, but the margin didn’t seem as lopsided as the numbers made it look.  The pieces are there: they just have to click.

22 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Creasy needs to work on looking for the big hitter when teams gang up to take away Harris.  On several plays, Radford ran single-high safety and committed the cardinal sin of allowing an uninterrupted release to the WR.  If Creasy recognizes that and hits the WR in stride (which he’s more than capable of doing), it’s an automatic TD.  Harris is resting a little, mending some wear and tear from 7-on-7s, hence the limited play and limited targets.

Tazewell’s run defense was pretty doggone impressive.  That was a huge problem last year: Tazewell couldn’t get teams off the field who set up the run well.  That problem looked solved.  As you say, the big plays were on secondary novice and miscommunication leading to broken big gainers.  

Certainly much to work on, but the margin didn’t seem as lopsided as the numbers made it look.  The pieces are there: they just have to click.

Agree.  Not sure how long Noel or Rizo are out, they should help when they are back.  Pugalee is out for the season it appears.  I thought the run defense did well.

3 hours ago, bigblue1988 said:

tazewell is sorry as hell richlands will just like they always do lol

Either this person was born in 1988, or graduated in 1988.  Either way, I can’t imagine being 34 years old or 52 years old and thinking this is worthy of memorializing on the internet.

He’s not wrong though Richlands has  owned them for the last 20 years never seems to matter the talent gap. I can name many other years when Tazewell should have won but didn’t. They have a coaching issue in Tazewell and that hasn’t went away. I think it will be a close game either way, Richlands is young they will get better before that game.