Union @ Richlands

UnionGuy2017

6 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

That's great

Tazewell has great hot dogs so the other thread said if that counts for anything 😂 But yes, that’s a great visual. I’m all about some food & fun myself (sadly TCPS School Board isn’t) never really been into pain though. 😂😂

Okay, I'm a true Blue fan, but don't have much faith in lady luck showing up at every game.  Could Union borrow Gate City's center for the first half, please.  Feel bad for the kid, but those over the head snaps were a defining moment in the game.  I'll go out on the limb with this one, I'm gong Richlands 24--Union 21.  Bandy kicks a 47 yard field goal on the last snap of regulation to win the game.  Buckle up boys, it's going to be another fun game to watch. I'm not delusional, just old, and it could happen, you never know with these two.  Hope all Union fans have safe travels, and if it's good food you want to eat, visit the Railroad Depot in the center of town.  Good people.

10 hours ago, vhs_falcon_volfan said:

Are you a student or a player or something?

Also didn’t Richlands get in trouble 25-30 years ago for using illegal cleats against a team by Roanoke?

What the actual ^*%# does a game played in 1992 have to do with any of this?? 

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

Is it really football season if no one brings up the cleats? Some people have a hard time letting go 😂

Oh you have no idea. I hear that crap in the dead of winter in different states sometimes. 

In other news from this decade, Richlands is attempting a white out again for this game. The last time it happened, the Blues donned new white helmets and upset Union on the final play. 

Not saying that will happen Friday, but it’s still a fun memory. 

Also, all local Veterans are being allowed into Friday night’s game for free, and the school will present a special flag to them pre-game around 6:30. Be sure to be in your seats for that. 

Also also — Friday night marks the end of a very special era at Ernie Hicks stadium. More on that Friday night. 

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

Truthfully, Richlands probably could have won in tennis shoes. They were that good that year. 

I was there. But I was also 2. So all of my opinion comes from very sketchy 1992 film — but I would agree. We would have beaten Salem if we played with a bowling ball, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

In other news from this decade, Richlands is attempting a white out again for this game. The last time it happened, the Blues donned new white helmets and upset Union on the final play. 

Not saying that will happen Friday, but it’s still a fun memory. 

Also, all local Veterans are being allowed into Friday night’s game for free, and the school will present a special flag to them pre-game around 6:30. Be sure to be in your seats for that. 

Also also — Friday night marks the end of a very special era at Ernie Hicks stadium. More on that Friday night. 

I remember they came out with those white helmets after warming up in the blue helmets and you would have thought they won another state title. Lol. Union was up 21-7 with like 5 minutes in that game and then Richlands went to the 5 wide and Asbury went OFF. And then on that 2 point in OT, Mitchell was standing WIDE OPEN in the back of the end zone. That loss is up there for the most disappointed I’ve been. Getting excited for Friday night! 

2 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I remember they came out with those white helmets after warming up in the blue helmets and you would have thought they won another state title. Lol. Union was up 21-7 with like 5 minutes in that game and then Richlands went to the 5 wide and Asbury went OFF. And then on that 2 point in OT, Mitchell was standing WIDE OPEN in the back of the end zone. That loss is up there for the most disappointed I’ve been. Getting excited for Friday night! 

Just another part of the lore of “The Game.” 

That helmet is still my favorite Richlands helmet ever… until they decide to use my black helmet that I mocked up. Then that will be it 😂

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

I was there. But I was also 2. So all of my opinion comes from very sketchy 1992 film — but I would agree. We would have beaten Salem if we played with a bowling ball, IMO. 

I was in my 20s and no dog in the fight but I know when I see a great team and that team was great. Why Vaught thought he needed the cleats is beyond me. That team was winning, period. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

I was in my 20s and no dog in the fight but I know when I see a great team and that team was great. Why Vaught thought he needed the cleats is beyond me. That team was winning, period. 

I would love to get Brady back in the room with me and revive the SWVA Sports Podcast just to have Vaught on the line and ask him that very question lol. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I would love to get Brady back in the room with me and revive the SWVA Sports Podcast just to have Vaught on the line and ask him that very question lol. 

I miss your & Brady’s show. Maybe y’all can do one every now & then. Y’all did a great job.  Yes, someone needs to ask him, lol. 

5 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I miss your & Brady’s show. Maybe y’all can do one every now & then. Y’all did a great job.  Yes, someone needs to ask him, lol. 

Thank you! Some of the most fun I’ve had was those couple of seasons. 

Way I see it if it didn’t make a difference then why do it? If you’re not trying to gain an unfair advantage, why do it? That was a great team but now they have that black mark on their record. The championship will always be tainted by that decision. 

But something more current,

Union 28, Richlands 13. 

I really want to believe, but it seems that every year I watch this game, I feel helpless watching it happen. The last few times has been frustrating watching simple basic blocking and hard running that leads to one or two big passes after loading up to stop the run. I haven’t seen Union play to make a prediction. Richlands 24-Union 21 based on good old optimism or wishful thinking.