Union @ Richlands

UnionGuy2017

2 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

No Tarter was not an assistant.  There is no connection between this team and the 92 team, other than Brannon Breeding, who I believe is on staff under Tarter.  I was lucky enough to be a member of the 92 team, my ring still reads "State Champion."  Football has changed, the game, much like our society has become more about prestige and less workmanlike.  The teams were better, the players were tougher, the coaches were more focused on the fundamentals, and yes, better.  Dennis Vaught will always have nay-sayers, the people that know him and played for him know better.  In my opinion, he is the best pure football coach to ever walk the sidelines in Richlands.  If you want to talk about state titles, he won two titles with schools that never had won one before, Lexington and Richlands.  He was a throwback coach cast more in the mold of a Bear Bryant compared to today's coaches (high school and collegiate.)  In the past, I would get upset when people brought up the cleats.  Not so much now, my feelings are mixed.  I am grateful that my path crossed his as he taught me many lessons, more about life than football.  It also saddens me that the players on that team are not celebrated as they should be.  I am sure everyone remembers Breeding and Harrison.  There were others on that team that worked their asses off and did not waste their opportunity.  Yancy Tabor was the tackle that no one knows, yet he is probably the best pure OL technician to ever play at Richlands.  Chris Crawford and Brian Triplett were the guards and Adam Yost was the other tackle, all supremely talented.  The center was Sam Barnett.  Willis White himself remarked at the VHSL All-Star game in 92 that Barnett was the best High School center that he ever saw.  There were Brad Salyers, Terry Monk and Brad Davis, all three exceptional and all three taken from us way too soon.  The assistant coaches were all tremendous as well.  Richie Thomas, Brian Johnson, Dennis Palmer (probably the best football coach in SWVA right now), Terry Wess...etc.  With the mention of the Marion game, I remember that it was a very sloppy field and Marion had run the double wing with a 5'8" 240 lb. full back or "B" back.  That guy was impressive and had no quit in him.  The mud made him impossible to bring down.  The game winner was rung up by Josh Perkins who by far was the best kicker ever at Richlands at that point in history.  They have had a few good ones since.  Also, Powell Valley pushed us to the brink in Big Stone as we slipped by them 16 to 15, I think.  Many good local teams then.

Great post! While not on that team, I remember most of the moments and players during that year. If I recall correctly, Brad Salyers was the “fullback” with Breeding during most games when in split backs. Kevin Smith, Kenny Lowe, and/or Matt Deel were the lead backs in front of Breeding in that state semifinal.

10 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

No Tarter was not an assistant.  There is no connection between this team and the 92 team, other than Brannon Breeding, who I believe is on staff under Tarter.  I was lucky enough to be a member of the 92 team, my ring still reads "State Champion."  Football has changed, the game, much like our society has become more about prestige and less workmanlike.  The teams were better, the players were tougher, the coaches were more focused on the fundamentals, and yes, better.  Dennis Vaught will always have nay-sayers, the people that know him and played for him know better.  In my opinion, he is the best pure football coach to ever walk the sidelines in Richlands.  If you want to talk about state titles, he won two titles with schools that never had won one before, Lexington and Richlands.  He was a throwback coach cast more in the mold of a Bear Bryant compared to today's coaches (high school and collegiate.)  In the past, I would get upset when people brought up the cleats.  Not so much now, my feelings are mixed.  I am grateful that my path crossed his as he taught me many lessons, more about life than football.  It also saddens me that the players on that team are not celebrated as they should be.  I am sure everyone remembers Breeding and Harrison.  There were others on that team that worked their asses off and did not waste their opportunity.  Yancy Tabor was the tackle that no one knows, yet he is probably the best pure OL technician to ever play at Richlands.  Chris Crawford and Brian Triplett were the guards and Adam Yost was the other tackle, all supremely talented.  The center was Sam Barnett.  Willis White himself remarked at the VHSL All-Star game in 92 that Barnett was the best High School center that he ever saw.  There were Brad Salyers, Terry Monk and Brad Davis, all three exceptional and all three taken from us way too soon.  The assistant coaches were all tremendous as well.  Richie Thomas, Brian Johnson, Dennis Palmer (probably the best football coach in SWVA right now), Terry Wess...etc.  With the mention of the Marion game, I remember that it was a very sloppy field and Marion had run the double wing with a 5'8" 240 lb. full back or "B" back.  That guy was impressive and had no quit in him.  The mud made him impossible to bring down.  The game winner was rung up by Josh Perkins who by far was the best kicker ever at Richlands at that point in history.  They have had a few good ones since.  Also, Powell Valley pushed us to the brink in Big Stone as we slipped by them 16 to 15, I think.  Many good local teams then.

God, what a fantastic post. I love hearing about the history that haunts over old Ernie. The legacy and pride of the games played there. Amazing. 

I won't argue that football now a days is less hard nosed, but I will argue talent and safety when it comes to the sport today. A lot of people might use the word "sissy" to describe, but the sport now a days is more skill passed than ever before and less about battling in the trenches, knocking yourself out for that one extra yard. Back in the day, you could see, like you say, a full back run an entire game. But now, you have skill players in the middle of an offense that make it almost unmanageable to do. However, I would love to see it go back to a time like that... Safety first though. No one wants to see an 16 year old kid out there being carted off because he suffered his fifth concussion of the game because the coach and doctor told him to just "suck it up." 

41 minutes ago, CzarYakov said:

God, what a fantastic post. I love hearing about the history that haunts over old Ernie. The legacy and pride of the games played there. Amazing. 

I won't argue that football now a days is less hard nosed, but I will argue talent and safety when it comes to the sport today. A lot of people might use the word "sissy" to describe, but the sport now a days is more skill passed than ever before and less about battling in the trenches, knocking yourself out for that one extra yard. Back in the day, you could see, like you say, a full back run an entire game. But now, you have skill players in the middle of an offense that make it almost unmanageable to do. However, I would love to see it go back to a time like that... Safety first though. No one wants to see an 16 year old kid out there being carted off because he suffered his fifth concussion of the game because the coach and doctor told him to just "suck it up." 

To respond to Tornado99 first, Kevin Smith played a little fullback and was a starting linebacker, Kenny "Mossy" Lowe was the starting strong safety, that was more of an outside linebacker position.  Matt Deel was a tight end along with Harrison.  Brad Salyers was the "fullback" in the split back veer, he was as dangerous as Breeding.  Brad was a brilliant student and an exceptional football player and wrestler.  Now to the Czar.  I feel there are more athletes today and less what I call, "football players."  From a safety standpoint, at least in high school, I feel yesteryear was safer for players.  These spread offenses place players in positions that have defenders teeing off on them from distances that allow them to get up to speed.  As the saying goes, "speed kills."  I firmly believe these types of offenses breed injuries especially head injuries.  When you think about big hits, passes to the flats, crossing patterns or special teams is where you will find them.  A four-yard fullback dive, not so much, too many bodies.  I will concede that concussion protocols are now paramount, back then there wasn't any awareness or information available as there is today.  One more tidbit about the Marion game, Chris Harrison, who was an all-state player at linebacker and tight end, collected over 30 tackles in the Marion game as it went into multiple overtime periods.

1 hour ago, CzarYakov said:

However, I would love to see it go back to a time like that... Safety first though. 

"old school" football leads to more bumps and bruises but modern spread football leads to a lot of serious injuries. More speed, more space, more force. 

56 minutes ago, redtiger said:

"old school" football leads to more bumps and bruises but modern spread football leads to a lot of serious injuries. More speed, more space, more force. 

I agree you don’t generate half the force from 5 yards in a ground and pound game as you do from a safety running 20 yards across the field to make a play. 

GC and Richlands looked to be very even teams. GC made some really big mistakes in that 1st quarter and Richlands took advantage. After that, GC slightly outplayed the Blues, but couldn't overcome that deficit. With that being said, I think both GC and Richlands are improved from last year, but not enough to take out the top teams in the region. Might play tight a game here or there as the season goes along, but they still have a lot of things to work on.

Brown is a good RB. Decent speed and runs hard. If Union keys on him, I'm not sure that Richlands can win any other way. I know that Coach Tarter mentioned in one of the previews that they would go as Brown goes. I think this Bears D will be really good against the run this year, so I'm picking Union by 21.

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

GC and Richlands looked to be very even teams. GC made some really big mistakes in that 1st quarter and Richlands took advantage. After that, GC slightly outplayed the Blues, but couldn't overcome that deficit. With that being said, I think both GC and Richlands are improved from last year, but not enough to take out the top teams in the region. Might play tight a game here or there as the season goes along, but they still have a lot of things to work on.

Brown is a good RB. Decent speed and runs hard. If Union keys on him, I'm not sure that Richlands can win any other way. I know that Coach Tarter mentioned in one of the previews that they would go as Brown goes. I think this Bears D will be really good against the run this year, so I'm picking Union by 21.

Would loved to seen the two play mistake free. That 1st quarter was a killer for GC. But that's part of it. 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Would loved to seen the two play mistake free. That 1st quarter was a killer for GC. But that's part of it. 

It was. All things being equal, GC would have had the same chance of winning that game as Richlands. Football is a game of momentum, and sometimes HS kids just can't overcome mistakes.

18 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Hey Union fans, where has jarhead been???? Seems like there is a few of yall missing this year.

That's a good question. Been wondering myself.

There were several that had kids playing. I guess they left the board once they graduated.

8 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Both teams made some big mistakes for sure. Richlands really probably should have put at least 2 more TD’s on the board. Had a 3rd and short inside the red zone and a holding killed that and forced a FG that was apparently just wide. 

Also had the fumble on the 1 yard line. If he holds on there, that’s another one. 

Richlands will need to play perfect ball tomorrow night to have a shot. Hopefully the magic of the White Out helps 😂😂

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Both teams made some big mistakes for sure. Richlands really probably should have put at least 2 more TD’s on the board. Had a 3rd and short inside the red zone and a holding killed that and forced a FG that was apparently just wide. 

Also had the fumble on the 1 yard line. If he holds on there, that’s another one. 

Richlands will need to play perfect ball tomorrow night to have a shot. Hopefully the magic of the White Out helps 😂😂

Banning our cowbells will help more! Haha 

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

There were several that had kids playing. I guess they left the board once they graduated.

They are gonna have to wake up and come out of hibernation in a couple weeks. I may have to talk some trash to get them going lol

17 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Both teams had chances to put more points on the board. Two evenly matched teams. Would been a classic if mistake free from both sides. 

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Jarhead didn't have a kid playing and I didn't notice him standing at fence either home game so not sure where he's been

On 8/28/2022 at 6:41 PM, Tornado 🌪 99 said:

UVA-O as you will see in a few short weeks our line was back at full strength and bullying people around, can’t wait to see them against the puppy dogs. Your freshman ol will have Creasy running all night.

put that on everything ole son

I guess a lot of people are picking Union, but I'll have to go with the "Blues" in this one by a field goal.  Always seems to be one of the better games for these two teams and hopefully the TCSB regulations don't upset to many fans, this too will pass. Safe travels to all those Union fans, and hope all players have a safe game.

If youve ever been to Ernie Hicks in the last several decades, you know the voice that comes through the PA system. Tonight will be Slick Cook’s final night on the mic for Richlands as he retires and hands the PA mic over to Jeff Hurst (who does the basketball PA duties). 

Slicks voice, to me, IS Richlands Football. Excited to get to hear him one final time tonight.