2022 Playoff format

SwvaOG

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

As far as I know, back to normal this season.

Thanks.  I think I had the minority opinion; however, I enjoyed the cross over seeding from last year.  Produced more cross conference matchups in the first round. 

On 8/29/2022 at 5:11 PM, Wolf1207 said:

Highest point rating. No matte the district. 

So between region A, B,C,D no matter which one you u fall in highest points get top seeding meaning D could play A in first round  and have true top two teams in in state. correct?

4 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

So between region A, B,C,D no matter which one you u fall in highest points get top seeding meaning D could play A in first round  and have true top two teams in in state. correct?

False. Teams in each region will be seeded 1-8. You’ll have the regional quarter finals, regional semifinals, then region championship. The region champion from C will play the region champion of D in the state semifinals. The winner from that will play the winner between A and B in the State Championship. 

I'm probably in the minority here, but I miss the East and West format from several years ago.  When Ridgeview played Giles in the first round and Wise Central had to go to Dan River... I think Union played Stuart's Draft in the first round one year if I recall correctly.  The way the playoffs are now, a lot of the matchups are regular season rematches until you get to the semis.

19 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I miss the East and West format from several years ago.  When Ridgeview played Giles in the first round and Wise Central had to go to Dan River... I think Union played Stuart's Draft in the first round one year if I recall correctly.  The way the playoffs are now, a lot of the matchups are regular season rematches until you get to the semis.

More travel but I agree, liked that format so much better.

The VHSL allows the Regions to determine which teams make the playoffs based on how that individual region chooses. If Reg D wants to take the top 8 teams based on how they finish in their district, and take the top 4 in the SWD and M7 instead of power rating, they can do that. Last year in Region A, they actually created their own power rating formula for their top 8 teams. They took the VHSL formula and added additional variables to literally come up with a power rating. 

Already Decided in Region D.  My understanding from one contact in the VHSL is that whatever seeding system a Region chooses to use, it is discussed/agreed upon Up Front at the beginning of the season.  They do not shoot from the hip in week 8 and then decide how to seed their teams. The ADs are aware and already know how teams will be seeded from very early in the season. So, for example in 2D, whatever system they are using (Top 8 in power rating regardless of district) or taking the top 4 teams from the SWD and M7, etc, the ADS and coaches from each 2D school already knows...as in....they know right now, today, how the Region will determine playoff seeding. According to the VHSL, this is the way it is supposed to be.

59 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I agree with you. It was nice getting to play different opponents even if you did have to travel. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

That's why I hate Union playing Graham and Richlands now. It makes for a great regular season matchup, but it does nothing for PP ratings and playoff excitement. I wish we'd take a note from the other sports and cross bracket the regional finals.

D #2 at C # 1, and C #2 at D #1, and then the highest PP rated team left host the semis. If they're both from the same region, so be it. Might be a compromise to both formats. I will say, there's no reason for a #16 seed to travel 5 hours just to get beaten 50-0. Let them stay in region and take their beating. haha

9 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

there's no reason for a #16 seed to travel 5 hours just to get beaten 50-0. Let them stay in region and take their beating. haha

This is very true! a few years back a 3-7 VA High had to travel to Appo which is just dumb! The region format is much better for travel overall. I do really like the cross bracket between the M7 and SWD much better than going by pure power points. Most of the district games are played at the end of the season so hypothetically lets say Marion was able to get the 8 seed and Graham was the 1. They would have to play in back to back weeks and neither game would end up being pretty. At least now that 3-7 8 seed gets to go somewhere new to get blown out in the first half.  

There are pros and cons to both. Travel favors the region set up. Less rematches favors east west. I honestly believe the east/west format put more importance to getting a 1 or 2 seed because those teams where not tested until the 3rd round while the 4-12 seeds where more competitive games. While in the region format we have better games in the second round. There has been a number of 1 and 2 seeds get knocked off early in region play that we did not see with the east west.