Narrows @ Bland County has been cancelled

SW_VA_boy

Any body that puts Bland on their schedule is just asking to lose a game IMO. They have got to do a better job recruiting the hallways or just give up football. I hate to say that for the kids that are there and want to play but that is also hurts the seniors of the other side that now have one less game they get to play.  

6 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Any body that puts Bland on their schedule is just asking to lose a game IMO. They have got to do a better job recruiting the hallways or just give up football. I hate to say that for the kids that are there and want to play but that is also hurts the seniors of the other side that now have one less game they get to play.  

i agree, now all season long teams are gonna be wondering if their game will be played or not. Its not fair to the kids.  the VHSL should set a minimum roster in order to schedule games. I think bland only had 19 player. 22 should be cut off. well if they go ahead now and  cancel the rest of season maybe teams on their schedule can find solid games. 

19 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Unfortunately this may happen again when Narrows plays Craig since they also had to cancel against Auburn today for not having enough health players.

when does narrows play craig

17 hours ago, Dobb83 said:

i agree, now all season long teams are gonna be wondering if their game will be played or not. Its not fair to the kids.  the VHSL should set a minimum roster in order to schedule games. I think bland only had 19 player. 22 should be cut off. well if they go ahead now and  cancel the rest of season maybe teams on their schedule can find solid games. 

I agree. I don't know what the cutoff should be, but there has got to be a cutoff and there needs to be a rule where if you cancel 2 football games in a season, then automatically you are without a football program for the next 2 years as other teams can prepare schedules. This prevents a team that starts with 24 players and is ready to go only to drop down to 16 players by week 2. 

Agree with you all on 8 man football and make it SWVA/Southern WV, say from Charleston down to the TN/KY border and over to I 81. It doesn't have to be state specific. Get 15 teams and play.  West VA has consolidated school districts (different counties) and this could be done.  Doesn't have to be confined to one state.   Craig Co, Auburn, Bland, Montcalm, a few more in WV and draw in eastern Kentucky, etc. Yep, longer traveling distances, but you also aren't hauling 50 players 10 coaches, a band, etc. Hauling 15 players and 5 coaches can be done in one school bus, so the cost is a whole lot less than 2 or 3 buses and that would offset the travel distance that I'm sure kids would be more than happy to do 5 road games per year in regular season in order to play. 

Pembroke played 6 man football in the Monroe County League for about 20 years in the 30's and 40's.   I agree 6 or 8 man is a good idea. The only draw back is the travel. Don't worry about state playoffs. Come up with your own system. Look at all the schools struggling to put a team on the field. Auburn, Bland, Montcalm, Phelps KY, Jenkins KY, Bath County, River View, Castlewood, Craig, Twin Springs, Rye Cove, North Greene, TN, Unaka, TN, East Montgomery. 

Another issue is that the field is not as wide or as long. Go watch an Oklahoma 8 man championship game on youtube.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Jags52 said:

You definitely hit the nail on the head with statement. Why would anyone schedule Bland knowing how the past 4 or 5 years have gone?