Week 2 Scores/Updates

Iceman2553

I told yall this week, Princeton is the real deal. Just got back from Bluefield and Princeton was as good in person as they were in watching them against S. Charleston in the scrimmage. Folks, it should have been Worse than 28-7 imo. It felt more like a 35-7 type game. Princeton will absolutely screen the he$# out of you. Their QB is the best in the area.

1 hour ago, tbgfan said:

FINAL

Loris Lions  46

South Columbus Stallions  14

Soph QB Jackson Huff threw 4 TD's to Duke Bellamy

Per Announcers this was the 15th meeting of these two teams and Stallions had won 11 of them.  First time since 2014 Lions had scored this much points in a game.  

Lions off to a 3-0 start

Said it in week 1, Loris should not have beat Green Sea by the margin that they did and it was something Different. It was improvement, then they beat N Myrtle beach and now South Columbus. They have beat 3 good schools that they don't normally beat. This is a program that has Turned the corner

35 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Said it in week 1, Loris should not have beat Green Sea by the margin that they did and it was something Different. It was improvement, then they beat N Myrtle beach and now South Columbus. They have beat 3 good schools that they don't normally beat. This is a program that has Turned the corner

Maybe that Mance guy knows what he is doing.  😂 It is a dang shame he didn’t get another title at Richlands.

Gents- my apologies for no updates but I left my phone in the car at the game and couldn’t post.  Ridgeview/ Grundy.  Lots to unpack.

First, RV’s Dline is undersized.  It showed tonight and that will be a problem against Union and potentially next week against Central.  Not sure they can overcome that….they just aren’t a big team, especially for 2D.

Second, they don’t seem to play with energy.  Noticed it last year when I watched them. 

I still think they have the best set of skill positions in 2D….not sure that’s enough. Don’t see them getting out of the region.

Not the QB’s best night.  Threw two bad picks.

Now, the positive stuff.

After three consecutive turnovers and a horrible first half they made good adjustments at the half and turned it on and dominated the second half.  Not really a two score game as Grundy scored late and Ridgeview went into prevent offense on last two possessions.  Probably should have been 41/48 to 20.

This is a great prep came for Central.

Final note- The RV fans and Dads almost rioted at this game and I don’t blame them.  I can’t say I’ve ever seen a game so horribly one sided in terms of calls.  You had to be there to see it.  I have never seen anything like that and I’m in my 50’s and have played and watched alot of football.  Before anyone says “that’s just Grundy” ….no, this was really abhorrent reffing.  

2 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Gents- my apologies for no updates but I left my phone in the car at the game and couldn’t post.  Ridgeview/ Grundy.  Lots to unpack.

First, RV’s Dline is undersized.  It showed tonight and that will be a problem against Union and potentially next week against Central.  Not sure they can overcome that….they just aren’t a big team, especially for 2D.

Second, they don’t seem to play with energy.  Noticed it last year when I watched them. 

I still think they have the best set of skill positions in 2D….not sure that’s enough. Don’t see them getting out of the region.

Not the QB’s best night.  Threw two bad picks.

Now, the positive stuff.

After three consecutive turnovers and a horrible first half they made good adjustments at the half and turned it on and dominated the second half.  Not really a two score game as Grundy scored late and Ridgeview went into prevent offense on last two possessions.  Probably should have been 41/48 to 20.

This is a great prep came for Central.

Final note- The RV fans and Dads almost rioted at this game and I don’t blame them.  I can’t say I’ve ever seen a game so horribly one sided in terms of calls.  You had to be there to see it.  I have never seen anything like that and I’m in my 50’s and have played and watched alot of football.  Before anyone says “that’s just Grundy” ….no, this was really abhorrent reffing.  

Unfortunately with the referee shortage we’re going to see a lot a questionable calls with there being many new refs. I don’t feel like a ref intentionally tries screwing another team, just lack of experience that will get better with time. There’s no way I could be a ref and get criticized by coaches and fans an entire game, which is why ill never say that a ref decides the game. 

43 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Unfortunately with the referee shortage we’re going to see a lot a questionable calls with there being many new refs. I don’t feel like a ref intentionally tries screwing another team, just lack of experience that will get better with time. There’s no way I could be a ref and get criticized by coaches and fans an entire game, which is why ill never say that a ref decides the game. 

Understood; however, there were numerous (8-10) times where they incorrectly started the clock or failed to start the clock.  The ref would fail to give the signal to start or would give it and the booth would not start the clock.  On one drive there was an error with the clock on all but two plays.  It was actually embarrassing to watch.  I don’t write that statement lightly…no embellishments.  I hope it was just a bad night for the whole crew.  I know it a tough job and they are stretched thin; however, if you know the basics cold it shouldn’t be that difficult.

Wondering how long it would take to turn on Tarter. Richlands fans, especially all the moms and dads, don’t want to hear it, but the talent is just not there, and I’m not throwing off on the kids either, it just is what it is.

There’s not a living, breathing coach anywhere that can make Richlands dominate in football. I hate it, especially since the kids work so hard and have unrealistic expectations thrown their way. It starts from a weak youth program and the fact that all the talent that Richlands used to attract is going to Bluefield. 

5 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

Wondering how long it would take to turn on Tarter. Richlands fans, especially all the moms and dads, don’t want to hear it, but the talent is just not there, and I’m not throwing off on the kids either, it just is what it is.

There’s not a living, breathing coach anywhere that can make Richlands dominate in football. I hate it, especially since the kids work so hard and have unrealistic expectations thrown their way. It starts from a weak youth program and the fact that all the talent that Richlands used to attract is going to Bluefield. 

There's a guy out there named Mark Dixon. And while he might not bring them back to what they were they would certainly be better than they are now. It's been a disaster since the day they hired Wells.

5 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

The youth program was not always weak.  It has fallen sharply in the last eight to ten years.  The key to a successful youth program is to retain and develop players.  Too many coaches trying to be geniuses or social icons.  That directly correlates to poor performances on Friday nights.  "Attracting" talent is a slap in the face to your hometown kids.  Retain and develop, both kids and coaches.

6 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

I agree, overall. My biggest question is why? I see firsthand how hard the youth program works to revive/strengthen the program. 

The largest factor in my opinion that speaks to the talent situation is simply numbers. There are fewer kids, but still enough to remain in the same classification. It is evident in the number of teams in the youth programs. In the last 10-15 years the number of Richlands area teams has shrunk from 5 to 2.

As I was typing this post, old school blue has replied. My next thought is based upon a sentiment often lamented by him, and that is the toughness and style of play that is better suited to the talent. I often use Union as a standard because there are many parallels with numbers and former success. Their lineplay is second to none most years. Unfortunately, our recent path is more along the lines of Gate City (no disrespect Blue Devils). That is a once, proud successful program falling on hard times. 

Finally, coaching is extremely important to success breeding success. While a little turmoil transitioning from Vaught to Mance, generally the bulk of the staff had worked together for years and years. For many of these kids, a lot of change and adversity is a recipe for hard times. No disrespect for any particular coach, again talent is an obstacle. Just searching deeply through my analytical lens for a why?

13 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Mike Smith of Hampton High retired as his final season was last season (2021). Tonight, Booker T Washington beat Hampton High 40-0, and that gave Hampton High its 2nd worse football loss in 60 years (since 1962). Think there will be a drop-off?  

There already was a drop off with Smith. It just went from a gentle slope to a free fall. Phoebus in killing them in recruiting.

8 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I agree, overall. My biggest question is why? I see firsthand how hard the youth program works to revive/strengthen the program. 

The largest factor in my opinion that speaks to the talent situation is simply numbers. There are fewer kids, but still enough to remain in the same classification. It is evident in the number of teams in the youth programs. In the last 10-15 years the number of Richlands area teams has shrunk from 5 to 2.

As I was typing this post, old school blue has replied. My next thought is based upon a sentiment often lamented by him, and that is the toughness and style of play that is better suited to the talent. I often use Union as a standard because there are many parallels with numbers and former success. Their lineplay is second to none most years. Unfortunately, our recent path is more along the lines of Gate City (no disrespect Blue Devils). That is a once, proud successful program falling on hard times. 

Finally, coaching is extremely important to success breeding success. While a little turmoil transitioning from Vaught to Mance, generally the bulk of the staff had worked together for years and years. For many of these kids, a lot of change and adversity is a recipe for hard times. No disrespect for any particular coach, again talent is an obstacle. Just searching deeply through my analytical lens for a why?

Good post!  The bottom line is that all programs fall.  Sometimes they come back quick, sometimes they don't.  It was Richlands' time to struggle.  Not knocking Mance, but he probably saw this coming and opted to go south.  He seems to be having some success this year and has turned the corner at Loris.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, old_school_blue said:

The youth program was not always weak.  It has fallen sharply in the last eight to ten years.  The key to a successful youth program is to retain and develop players.  Too many coaches trying to be geniuses or social icons.  That directly correlates to poor performances on Friday nights.  "Attracting" talent is a slap in the face to your hometown kids.  Retain and develop, both kids and coaches.

Greg Mance didn’t have a problem with a slap in the face to some hometown kids by bringing in better talent. Winning is your ticket to longevity, even if you make a few enemies along the way. A revolving door of coaches happen when the talent isn’t interested in your program anymore. The youth program may not have always been weak, but it is now and will be for the foreseeable future. Hate it for the kids, but sometimes the truth hurts. 

13 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

Greg Mance didn’t have a problem with a slap in the face to some hometown kids by bringing in better talent. Winning is your ticket to longevity, even if you make a few enemies along the way. A revolving door of coaches happen when the talent isn’t interested in your program anymore. The youth program may not have always been weak, but it is now and will be for the foreseeable future. Hate it for the kids, but sometimes the truth hurts. 

Coach Mance left because he has always loved the Beach and golf, and he wanted to get vested in another pension just like so many other coaches do as they leave one state for another after a period of time.  Mance has turned Loris around and they have a good chance to be 5-0 on the season before they travel to 3A powerhouse Dillon, who has won 7 state titles.  The little area close to South of the Border on the way to Myrtle Beach turns out high level football players.  Dillon is ranked 2nd right now in 3A and if Loris could somehow win that one, then look out.  It may be a situation where Loris is 5-0 coming in, and lose 47-14, and that is no knock on Coach Mance, it's just stating how nasty Dillon is.

https://www.myhorrynews.com/sports/high_school/football/loris-makes-appearance-in-state-football-poll/article_4641aa28-2e2e-11ed-ab4e-bf819a9885f0.html

17 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Coach Mance left because he has always loved the Beach and golf, and he wanted to get vested in another pension just like so many other coaches do as they leave one state for another after a period of time.  Mance has turned Loris around and they have a good chance to be 5-0 on the season before they travel to 3A powerhouse Dillon, who has won 7 state titles.  The little area close to South of the Border on the way to Myrtle Beach turns out high level football players.  Dillon is ranked 2nd right now in 3A and if Loris could somehow win that one, then look out.  It may be a situation where Loris is 5-0 coming in, and lose 47-14, and that is no knock on Coach Mance, it's just stating how nasty Dillon is.

https://www.myhorrynews.com/sports/high_school/football/loris-makes-appearance-in-state-football-poll/article_4641aa28-2e2e-11ed-ab4e-bf819a9885f0.html

My entire point is that Richlands dominance in football is history, not that Greg Mance saw the upcoming talent level drying up and left for greener pastures. Richlands fans are fair weather and it’s a sad day for anyone in the HC position. Even worse for the kids. 

2 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

My entire point is that Richlands dominance in football is history, not that Greg Mance saw the upcoming talent level drying up and left for greener pastures. Richlands fans are fair weather and it’s a sad day for anyone in the HC position. Even worse for the kids. 

Agree.  

On 9/4/2022 at 2:58 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Rustburg defeated Appomattox 27-20.  Rustburg kept Appo in check, except for 3 big plays that went for td's by Pennix. 

I got to watch this on NFHS. Appo still has speed to burn, but they didn't even look as good as last year. Rustburg isn't a very big team, but they had no problem with Appo on the LOS. Might just be Radford's year in Reg C.