Twin Valley taps out

VHSLhelper

Due to unforeseen circumstances which have diminished our existing roster, Twin Valley HIgh School regretfully announces the suspension of our Varsity football program for the 2022 Fall Season. The administration and coaching staff have determined that this decision is in the best interest of the safety and well being of our student athletes.

https://www.facebook.com/tvpathletics/posts/pfbid02agfn5uHCVKtj4hKoyPawUN1MbSY8Xvck5gapVQrWgtDjqKBKttKnsC1MqthRxmnvl

So now, 8 teams or however many were left on the schedule are left scrambling and all of those fans, kids, coaches just got screwed when the CORRECT thing to do was to tap out in early August when they KNEW the circumstances would not allow a full season.  When teams make these decisions to "give it the ole college try," it's noble and we give them credit and I respect that, but these teams need to consider not just THEMSELVES, but the remaining opponents on their schedules when they make these decisions in early August.  

The best argument for 8 man football is not just Team A having limited numbers/roster.  The argument that is equally valid is the teams left on Team A's schedule that are left scrambling after Team A cancels the season 2 or 3 or 4 weeks in.

One more thing with Twin Valley. Why use the word suspension? I mean.....why? Just freaking say the word Cancel and label the dam$ thing for what it is. Suspension means...."there's a chance in 3 or 4 weeks." I bet you the opponents aren't "waiting to see if TV resumes." They are making phone calls today to find opponents. I feel bad for TV and the circumstances and if my kid was on the team, I know I would be upset. I truly do have empathy for TV, but they Knew this was going to happen in early August.

4 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

So now, 8 teams or however many were left on the schedule are left scrambling and all of those fans, kids, coaches just got screwed when the CORRECT thing to do was to tap out in early August when they KNEW the circumstances would not allow a full season.  When teams make these decisions to "give it the ole college try," it's noble and we give them credit and I respect that, but these teams need to consider not just THEMSELVES, but the remaining opponents on their schedules when they make these decisions in early August.  

The best argument for 8 man football is not just Team A having limited numbers/roster.  The argument that is equally valid is the teams left on Team A's schedule that are left scrambling after Team A cancels the season 2 or 3 or 4 weeks in.

A community devastated by catastrophic flooding attempts to give their kids normalcy but by all means let’s think of the poor other schools losing a game/gate.

GTFOH with that…for real. Do I hate we are losing a game? Sure, but it’s BS to criticize those kids/coaches/admin. 

11 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

2 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

A community devastated by catastrophic flooding attempts to give their kids normalcy but by all means let’s think of the poor other schools losing a game/gate.

GTFOH with that…for real. Do I hate we are losing a game? Sure, but it’s BS to criticize those kids/coaches/admin. 

Yeah man... normally I agree with your posts, but that's a bad take.  Respect the Panthers for giving it a go and continue to pray for those affected by the awful flooding  in and around Oakwood and Pilgrim's Knob.

Hate it for all the people involved there, when Bland had to cancel a few years back it didn't effect Galax we just decided to have a off week instead of trying to feel the slot. If I remember correctly it didn't hurt our playoff points either but I could be wrong.

Just now, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah man... normally I agree with your posts, but that's a bad take.  Respect the Panthers for giving it a go and continue to pray for those affected by the awful flooding  in and around Oakwood and Pilgrim's Knob.

And I respect your opinion, but I stand by my post. Of course we give support and help and prayers for those effected by flooding, and I have done that. I also mentioned it in my post. The administration Knew they would not be able to have a full season. They Knew that early on, and aside from the devastating flooding, that should be reason to cancel the season. Again, my opinion only, and I stand by it.  It's also dishonest to state the players and coaches were criticized when they absolutely were not. 

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

. The administration Knew they would not be able to have a full season. They Knew that early on, and aside from the devastating flooding, that should be reason to cancel the season. Again, my opinion only, and I stand by it.  It's also dishonest to state the players and coaches were criticized when they absolutely were not. 

Pretty sure they shared the BDD title with 21 players last year-why would they have KNOWN they couldn’t have a full season this year?

Oh and I will pass along to the TV admin how a message board poster randomwordsbunchanumbers gave his thoughts and prayers and support for the flooding which therefore gives him the right to be critical.  Cheers! 

3 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Pretty sure they shared the BDD title with 21 players last year-why would they have KNOWN they couldn’t have a full season this year?

Yeah coming off the best year in school history, there would be no reason to think you couldn’t give it a go. Iron man football is not appreciated enough. Places like Graham, Richlands, Giles etc are spoiled with having enough players that if you truly wanted to could just play one side of the ball. These BDD teams and teams of the past (Whitewood, Garden, Pocahontas etc.) some kids go on the field the opening kickoff and don’t come off until it’s time to go through the handshake line. I’m sure before that game with Montcalm it looked like TVHS could field a team for the season but when you lose a few kids, those visions change. Important to have perspective. 

11 minutes ago, rvtne216 said:

Yeah coming off the best year in school history, there would be no reason to think you couldn’t give it a go. Iron man football is not appreciated enough. Places like Graham, Richlands, Giles etc are spoiled with having enough players that if you truly wanted to could just play one side of the ball. These BDD teams and teams of the past (Whitewood, Garden, Pocahontas etc.) some kids go on the field the opening kickoff and don’t come off until it’s time to go through the handshake line. I’m sure before that game with Montcalm it looked like TVHS could field a team for the season but when you lose a few kids, those visions change. Important to have perspective. 

No argument of the administration's choice to have a season prior to the flooding, nor did anyone ever make that claim as angry Tiger suggested. There was a massive flood that changed lives and uprooted people and caused catastrophe. That is when the decision should have been made imo.  As for support, I sent mine to Vansant Church of Christ which had an offering to help the victims. Vansantchurch.com and get a hold of Mike Rife, their Minister who is good buds with our Minister at Glenn Lyn. The Church in Glenn Lyn supports similar ministries as the one in Vansant such as local Bible camps, Mountain Mission, etc.

Like I wrote, prayers and literally monetary support gladly and gratefully sent for the flood victims, but in my opinion, again, just my opinion and it may be a bad take, the season should have been canceled soon after that flooding occurred.

53 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

As stated above, this is a really shitty take from a usually shittyposter. TV had the best season in school history last year, an August coaching change, and the worst flooding the area had ever seen. Sucks they cancelled their season but this is not going to make or break anyone's season, except their own. The folks at Twin Valley have built that program up from nothing in a decade and this is very unfortunate. Its hard to get your "empathy" in this message when you are busy bashing them for something they had no control over. I very much doubt Crigger, or anyone else in that program wanted to shut down their team after one game, but it is what it is. 

Also why cancel the season after the flooding? That was an awful time for the community, and cancelling the program in July or August would've only made it worse. 

Hate it for the TV community. Hopefully they can continue with a JV squad for the remainder of the season to keep kids in the game, mind off of the other issues in the community due to the flooding, give them an opportunity to resume the program next year. Which is also why I believe they are calling it a suspension for the Fall of 2022. 

It hurt when it happened at RC last year but was the right thing to do for the program at that time. I hope TV can rebound next year and be back after it. Not sure how many seniors they have but hate it the most for those young men, cheerleaders and band members. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

GW needs a game so this will help

GW looking for a game. Is Narrows looking to replace last weeks game with Craig or has it been rescheduled?  

I would bet a few schools started talking back in the summer when floods happened just in case. You may see some quick schedule adjustments for those wanting to get to 10 games really quick. 

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

For the record, it is best to take assumptions out of the equation. With all due respect, we had every reason to think that we would be able to complete the current season. With a roster of 18 players, we have played with this many in the past, we expected to take our share of knocks this season but we also expected to finish the season. This wasn't the "good old college try," I assure you of that. Nonetheless, circumstances, which I cannot discuss, put the team in a very awkward predicament that the administration could not, in good conscience, allow the team to continue. Player safety became our number one priority and our hand was forced. Barring unforeseen circumstances, we would have never been in this situation and would not have been forced to make this decision and in all likelihood have finished the season. 

30 minutes ago, bucfan64 said:

For the record, it is best to take assumptions out of the equation. With all due respect, we had every reason to think that we would be able to complete the current season. With a roster of 18 players, we have played with this many in the past, we expected to take our share of knocks this season but we also expected to finish the season. This wasn't the "good old college try," I assure you of that. Nonetheless, circumstances, which I cannot discuss, put the team in a very awkward predicament that the administration could not, in good conscience, allow the team to continue. Player safety became our number one priority and our hand was forced. Barring unforeseen circumstances, we would have never been in this situation and would not have been forced to make this decision and in all likelihood have finished the season. 

Bucfan64, very fair and reasonable and that is language I respond to.  You make a valid point without the personal stuff and cursing and name-calling of which the other two are more than capable of.  Very true in not making assumptions, of which I in fact, DID.  Great post and on point. 

6 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

🤡 post right here smh 

4 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

GW looking for a game. Is Narrows looking to replace last weeks game with Craig or has it been rescheduled?  

I would bet a few schools started talking back in the summer when floods happened just in case. You may see some quick schedule adjustments for those wanting to get to 10 games really quick. 

for some reason GW always has an excuse when this happens and we cant fill the spot. for some reason no one wants to play GW from down that way in swva, at least that's what i hear from people at GW not saying its true but its what I'm pretty much being told. I would just like to have 10 games for the first time in 4 years

55 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

for some reason GW always has an excuse when this happens and we cant fill the spot. for some reason no one wants to play GW from down that way in swva, at least that's what i hear from people at GW not saying its true but its what I'm pretty much being told. I would just like to have 10 games for the first time in 4 years

I feel like the powers that be at GW like yanking your chain or is it the other way around? 😂

Kudos to Coach Crigger & TV folks for trying to give these players something to look forward to but when you don’t have adequate numbers to safely field a team, I hate it but you don’t want to put kids left in jeopardy. It stinks for them & their opponents now having to find a game but it is what it is. That area has been through so much devastation. No one can fault them for trying to give the kids a football season.  BC needs to consolidate sooner rather than later IMHO.  

6 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Thank you for saying that before I saw that classless post, It's easy to sit all comfy and cozy and slam that bunch. Walk a mile in their shoes. You can best believe that were Twin Valley on our schedule,the vast majority of the folks in BSG would understand. There's SO MUCH more to life than this little game.

My sons a Panther. Our season got cancel cause of a fight with players and more players quit after fight.  We had low nummbers cause of flooding and this fight between players and the ones that quit lowered us to when we aint got enough to play.  We started with 22 from after the flood, but the fight is what did it and caused stopping the season

1 hour ago, TValleyDad said:

My sons a Panther. Our season got cancel cause of a fight with players and more players quit after fight.  We had low nummbers cause of flooding and this fight between players and the ones that quit lowered us to when we aint got enough to play.  We started with 22 from after the flood, but the fight is what did it and caused stopping the season

Terribly sad. Just a few short weeks ago, this community was devastated by flooding. They came together and supported one another as you would hope would happen. Now because of kids acting like brats and parents allowing it to happen the football season is over. Selfish! Shame on the parents for not setting a better example. Put your differences aside and teach your kids to be the bigger person.