Toughest places to play in 1A and 2A

Optimal62

Currently: 2A: Bullitt Park (Union); 1A: Warriors Stadium (Chilhowie)

In the past:2A: Legion Field (Gate City), Bullitt Park (Powell Valley), Stephen C. Ragsdale Stadium (Giles); 1A Riggs Stadium (Appalachia),  Ralph Cummins Stadium (Clintwood)

18 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Train horn or no train horn. My vote would be Union as well. I hate the drive down there but dang if it's not a cool atmosphere for HS football. 

Can we bring our cow bells & noise makers to Bullit Park? I know we can’t in Tazewell County but wonder if there are any restrictions in BSG? We’re such party poopers up this way.

@Union_Fan or @BigWinners can you all let us know what contraband is allowed down your way? 

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Can we bring our cow bells & noise makers to Bullit Park? I know we can’t in Tazewell County but wonder if there are any restrictions in BSG? We’re such party poopers up this way. 😂

I'm gonna say thats a negative on cowbells for Graham fans ghost rider😂. Jarhead will be at the gate telling us to turn around and put them back in the car. If they can't have theirs at Mitchell I doubt we'll be ringing ours at The Park lol

37 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Can we bring our cow bells & noise makers to Bullit Park? I know we can’t in Tazewell County but wonder if there are any restrictions in BSG? We’re such party poopers up this way.

@Union_Fan or @BigWinners can you all let us know what contraband is allowed down your way? 

No restrictions in BSG. We like to actually have fun and enjoy games. Haha

Bring your cowbells, chairs, tents, bottle rockets, broken glass, outside food and drinks, ex-lax for the G-Men, just whatever.

On a related note, I was told that jarhead retired. Not sure if he did so from the board or not.

47 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I'm gonna say thats a negative on cowbells for Graham fans ghost rider😂. Jarhead will be at the gate telling us to turn around and put them back in the car. If they can't have theirs at Mitchell I doubt we'll be ringing ours at The Park lol

Retired after 34 years, and even if I was there in uniform bring it if you can carry it ! Louder the better

52 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

I will say this , I understand the train horn is under the bleachers at Giles , although that still has to be loud on those sitting above it 

It’s not under. It’s mounted on the top row at the 40 yard line above the back rail. I tried uploading a pic but it says the image it too large.

I will say this, I have always enjoyed the big loud crowds, cowbells horns cannons and even that Lee county horse, the Big Rig with horns on it from Gate City, I will be at my normal spot on the visitors side scoreboard end , the only thing that bothered me was bands that had no purpose except beat on the drums for 4 quarters, I really enjoyed Surry County band when they used the park playing Appalachia for state. Bring it all insult the refs ( within reason) leave the kids alone and enjoy the the game, if I wanted to be quiet I would go to a funeral, there must be a lot of democrats in Tazwell county, because us Republicans like to raise sand when we get fired up

13 minutes ago, T8KNDookeez said:

Speaking of home field advantage, name a place where you are most certainly getting a TD or 2 called back.

1. Richlands

2. Union

😁

I was going to watch PV at Breathitt Co. A friend who played at Belfry told me that PV would need to be 3 TD better than Breathitt, because they'd be down 2 TD when they got off the bus. I laughed it off, but he was 100% correct. 

I miss the atmosphere of the SWVA games so much, especially in the old LPD, where everywhere was tough to play. Down here in south Florida, the atmosphere is terrible, with most places being a parents/relatives and students looking to socialize type of crowds that are well under 1K. It's kind of nice after the games because there's no traffic to fight, but the atmosphere is terrible. The one exception is Vero Beach, who gets a ton of community support on game night, and even has a train horn. They take the horn on the road with them as well. It's by far my favorite place to watch a game down here. 

8 hours ago, sixcat said:

In my mind, the best home field advantage in 1A will always be Sandlick. Just a wholly unique experience. Ridgeview should have to play a game there once a year by decree. 

Great idea, but are the bleachers still at Sandlick? I know all of the bleachers at Ralph Cummins stadium are gone. As we get ready for the splash pad and new Food City here in the wood. 

In 2A Union is just a different atmosphere than any where else I've been. When Bullet is rocking its hard to go in there and get a win unless you are Appo. Even though I am sure it was different when they were making deep playoff runs but Gate City is also tough just for the fact the the visitors stands are right on top of the field and it is full of blue. Ive been there when the student section was on the away side which was different for sure. IMO no body is the southwest has much of a home field advantage. Tazewell, VA high and Marion really dont have the crowds that make a difference. Graham plays in such a big stadium that unless they are playing Bluefield it just feels empty. Richlands would be the best I guess but its no where close to Union or GC.

I have said on here before Chilhowie has to be the toughest 1A place to play. The crowd is rowdy and they usually always get the bounce of ball plays when they play at home. I dont know this for a fact but I would say Chilhowie has the widest gap in winning percentage for home and away games. I could be wrong but they dont usually lose at home. Rural Retreat is a dark horse in this conversation. The atmosphere feels a lot like Chilhowie it may just be a mascot thing but who knows. I've only been to Giles once but that was an experience for sure. You really do feel like you are behind enemy lines on that one.