Giles/Narrows Officially Consolidating

SWVAgridiron

16 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

The 3-2 vote to did happen.  However, the vote, as I understand it, was to open the discussion about making consolidation an option.  Not to consolidate. 

No official media releases on this yet but that's what i'm hearing.

Still a few things to work out but from what I'm hearing there is a very good chance this finally happens....thankfully

When they combined Fries and Independance the kids for the most part did great . The adults was upset because the then superintendent of the schools knew the school consolidation was coming and yet let the parents of the Fries students pay for brand new lights at the ball field. The man was despised by the town for the rest of his time.  The only big issue with the kids was that they didn’t change the name Blue Devils that Independence had prior.  

The coaching staff integrated well and Grayson County became a powerhouse in sports for several years after. 

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Got to be single wing.  If not, it will take me years to adjust.  I will support em of course, but I'm telling ya now, it's gonna be a problem for me.

I hope they keep the single wing. Would the new school be 2A or 3A? 

2 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

When they combined Fries and Independance the kids for the most part did great . The adults was upset because the then superintendent of the schools knew the schools  was coming and yet let the parents of the Fries students pay for brand new lights at the ball field. The man was despised by the town for the rest of his time.  The only big issue with the kids was that they didn’t change the name Blue Devils. 

the coaching staff integrated well and Grayson County became a powerhouse in sports for years after. 

There were a lot of transportation issues for the first few years but that was more on Carroll if I remember correctly. They had never had to send buses past Iron Ridge near Cliffview before and didn’t want to start because Fries and Independence were consolidating. 

Other than that, it was one of the most successful consolidations I can remember. Mike Phipps had an awful lot to do with that successful transition too.

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Class 2

Good. I believe they would still be very competitive if they were to keep the single wing. If they change to a more spread offense then they wouldn't be any different than most other teams. 

1 minute ago, nrv_football said:

Good. I believe they would still be very competitive if they were to keep the single wing. If they change to a more spread offense then they wouldn't be any different than most other teams. 

That's kind of how I feel about it.  I'm not arguing which offense is greater or this or that, but lots of it is just tradition and personal preference for me.  The results of Giles and state titles speaks clear though.  The single wing has worked pretty well, but I'm more in favor of it due to tradition and what I'm use to.  If we came out in a spread offense, it would hurt me, but I would adapt and be fine after a year....actually...more like two years.

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

That's kind of how I feel about it.  I'm not arguing which offense is greater or this or that, but lots of it is just tradition and personal preference for me.  The results of Giles and state titles speaks clear though.  The single wing has worked pretty well, but I'm more in favor of it due to tradition and what I'm use to.  If we came out in a spread offense, it would hurt me, but I would adapt and be fine after a year....actually...more like two the so

Single wing is alot of misdirection and doesn't require as many skill positons. Relying heavily on the offensive line and blocking schemes. The spread or other offenses rely more on skill positions. So you then need wideouts, running backs, and a good QB to make that work. Of course a good offensive line is still necessary. I just feel like Giles is unique and the offense Narrows runs is generic.

Personally, if it does happen which I feel it will then I’m okay with it. It’s crazy to have 2 Class 1 schools 10 mins from each other in the same county. But if it doesn’t happen then I’m okay with that as well. Mainly because I know that starting next year and many years after that we’re going to have a very solid football program that could make a few appearances in December at Salem Stadium(no disrespect to Galax or GW) but I feel like we will have similarities to the 2013-2015 Giles teams. With consolidating and potentially losing the single-wing I think it’s going to hurt us for awhile. 

48 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Personally, if it does happen which I feel it will then I’m okay with it. It’s crazy to have 2 Class 1 schools 10 mins from each other in the same county. But if it doesn’t happen then I’m okay with that as well. Mainly because I know that starting next year and many years after that we’re going to have a very solid football program that could make a few appearances in December at Salem Stadium(no disrespect to Galax or GW) but I feel like we will have similarities to the 2013-2015 Giles teams. With consolidating and potentially losing the single-wing I think it’s going to hurt us for awhile. 

The thing about that kind of thinking is it doesn’t take into account that the other teams the George Wythes, Chilhowies , Perry Mccluers Holston of the worlds don’t stop getting better either. GW especially keeps getting better.
 And that’s not to even mention Galax that just reloads year after year. They have what three starting QBs and three different feature backs in the past three  years and still wearing people out not named Riverheads .  So no guarantee in getting to Salem if staying 1A. Hell Grayson County and Fort Chiswell have done worse since dropping to 1A .  
   2A had the potential to be  very exciting in a couple years. 

13 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It’s the biggest town in Giles. Was that a rhetorical question? 

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

No it was a stupid question 

No. It's a legit question. You never hear anyone say they are from Pearisburg. They say they are from Giles.

It's like someone from Bluefield, VA or WV saying they are from Tazewell and Mercer.

46 minutes ago, BHS03 said:

No. It's a legit question. You never hear anyone say they are from Pearisburg. They say they are from Giles.

It's like someone from Bluefield, VA or WV saying they are from Tazewell and Mercer.

I see what you’re saying. I too default to saying I’m from Giles because outsiders are more family with the term Giles than Pearisburg.