Graham vs Union

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Didn't I read in the paper where Graham has a new band director or something like that and the Graham Band direction is about to have a bigtime uptick in numbers over the next few years?  I think the BDT or somebody wrote that.  I don't know much about bands other than the kids that participate in them are outstanding individuals and I'm grateful for them just like the players, but Graham hired some kind of a new director that has some serious credentials if I'm not mistaken.

Are they offering band scholarships now too? 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Are they offering band scholarships now too? 

I’m not sure how many scholarships are awarded in band 😂😂😂😂 but I know for a fact the football team doesn’t run over their band members  nor do I expect them to plow down members of Union’s band not that any other Tazewell County team would ever do such a thing 😂😂😂😂

8 hours ago, T8KNDookeez said:

This comment brought to you by, Hater-Aid, the drink that keeps the fiery hate in your soul burning! 🤣

Yeah I was thinking that. 

I recall it was Graham and Richlands who would run the show at some competitions around. 

Graham may not have been quite as good as Richlands most of the time but they were still pretty damn good. 

Richlands was usually louder than Graham anyway. 

I was a bandy back in the day. Wanted to teach it. Now I teach Special Education in NE Tennessee. Love it. 

A few differences since the GMen last came to town. There is a new fieldhouse/restrooms/concession stand/ticket booth on the visitors' side.

Also, lots of new restaurants in BSG. One note here, the Red Fox Grill is the MECC cafeteria. It's open to the public, but would likely be closed long before game time.

https://bigstonegap.com/things-to-do/where-to-eat/

Link to the GoFan mobile tickets.

https://gofan.co/app/events/631732?schoolId=VA13262

15 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

A few differences since the GMen last came to town. There is a new fieldhouse/restrooms/concession stand/ticket booth on the visitors' side.

Also, lots of new restaurants in BSG. One note here, the Red Fox Grill is the MECC cafeteria. It's open to the public, but would likely be closed long before game time.

https://bigstonegap.com/things-to-do/where-to-eat/

Link to the GoFan mobile tickets.

https://gofan.co/app/events/631732?schoolId=VA13262

Go to the new brewery!! It’s great 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:47 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. Too loud and sounded like doodoo. 

But enough about Richlands, what about Graham’s band?  😉

On 9/12/2022 at 7:04 PM, Gridiron60 said:

Dr. Carl Hess, very impressive resumè. He's originally from SWVA, a graduate of Graham. Most recently,  director of the Moravian College Marching Band. 

Carl’s the best pure musician that Graham’s ever produced, and that’s saying something considering the sheer numbers and talent that have gone through that place.  He’s a great, solid individual as well, and Graham is very lucky to have him.

A great musician does not always a good director make, but I have faith that Carl will certainly be both.  Just this year alone, Graham’s band sounds much better than it has in the last decade.  

I do chuckle that, for all the Richlands/Graham band rivalry in the 1990s and 2000s, 2 of the 3 directors in the County are Graham alums, and Graham alums I played alongside.  The circle of life, man.

This thread started off good and then lost steam. I guess everyone is expecting both teams to lose. haha

It's game day, and I'm expecting a great one. Hope both teams have a clean game with no turnovers or excessive penalties, so we have a clear victory without any "what ifs." However, it may be cliché, but this could very well be one of those games where both teams are evenly matched to the point where mistakes truly decide the game. I expect the crowd to be loud and the atmosphere to be great.

7 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

At Morehead St, and doing well from what I hear.

https://msueagles.com/sports/football/roster/zavier-lomax/6770

He's up to 3rd on the RB depth chart there.  2 of their 3 RBs (Chancellor Harris - Tazewell) are SWVA products.  If I were an FCS school, I would establish pipelines in places like SWVA, where the talent is D1 quality but frequently overlooked.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

This thread started off good and then lost steam. I guess everyone is expecting both teams to lose. haha

It's game day, and I'm expecting a great one. Hope both teams have a clean game with no turnovers or excessive penalties, so we have a clear victory without any "what ifs." However, it may be cliché, but this could very well be one of those games where both teams are evenly matched to the point where mistakes truly decide the game. I expect the crowd to be loud and the atmosphere to be great.

Not much buzz about football in BSG this season.  I guess no one really expects much from them this year not sure what’s going on 

16 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Not much buzz about football in BSG this season.  I guess no one really expects much from them this year not sure what’s going on 

Based on the playmakers we lost, I understood low expectations coming in to the year, but after 3 games, they've looked pretty good to me. Maybe everyone is waiting until they play "somebody." Well, that "somebody" is tonight. Perhaps the buzz will increase a bit if we beat Graham.

19 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Based on the playmakers we lost, I understood low expectations coming in to the year, but after 3 games, they've looked pretty good to me. Maybe everyone is waiting until they play "somebody." Well, that "somebody" is tonight. Perhaps the buzz will increase a bit if we beat Graham.

There doesn't seem to be as many Union fans on here compared to recent years. Post us a pregame video @Union_Fan.  That always seems to get people going. 😂

45 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

There doesn't seem to be as many Union fans on here compared to recent years. Post us a pregame video @Union_Fan.  That always seems to get people going. 😂

Shew, I'm not posting anything that resembles the 2018 video! haha

Although, I do think Union is going to win 84-0. 😂

On 9/13/2022 at 12:39 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Remind me where you got your music degree from, again? 

I got mine from the best radio announcer in America, Ron Brown...

And you can learn more about in three minutes after a word from our sponsor Burger King in Richlands and Randy's Gateway Drug in the Gateway Shopping Center beside the high school.

Union’s backfield can’t get enough praise this year. They’re always solid but they’re a lot better than I expected them to be. The freshman Chandler can block and run the rock. Satterfield and Honeycutt are both hard nosed and get downhill quick. I’d hate to be opposing defensive back having to meet them for a solo tackle! They’ve got some decent depth too, that Lowery boy who scored against Burton has some speed. I only hate the Bears when I play against them, otherwise the folks of Big Stone are good people. I played across from Lomax since middle school when he was on the line, tied with him in a 100m dash back then too lol. Funny guy and a hell of a ball player, not afraid to admit I’ve been on the receiving end of a few of his crushing hits. 😅

3 hours ago, CzarYakov said:

I got mine from the best radio announcer in America, Ron Brown...

And you can learn more about in three minutes after a word from our sponsor Burger King in Richlands and Randy's Gateway Drug in the Gateway Shopping Center beside the high school.

**bows head**

Amen.

• GMan locked this topic