Fan Conduct

Observer

3 hours ago, Observer said:

What are the best/worst places to go to a game when it comes to how the fans are in the stands?

If you come to Tazewell, don’t sit in the lower section on the 20 yard line near the score board. The Moores, McDonald’s and Jordan’s sit there, and myself and we all tend to say what’s on our minds. 

I would say the most brutal place to be is on the side line as a coach of a team that had high expectations and your teams falls short or someone you should beat beats you. I have heard some nasty things over the years yelled at coaches that would make your grandmother blush. I feel for the wives and children of those guys because it can get pretty ugly. I can think of 2 games this weekend that I am sure were very bad.

Fort Chiswell comes to mind for me as being one of the worst fan bases. I recall a game at Mitchell in which they talked trash non-stop. The following year I got to the game late and decided to just sit on Fort's side. That was a mistake. Kinda surprised me honestly. When I think of Fort Chiswell I think of a quiet farming community. They can sure raise some hell on Friday nights.

I enjoyed my first experience at Giles a couple of weeks ago. The atmosphere was amazing. The community support was impressive. The environment was welcoming even though you knew you were in hostile territory. Couldn't ask for anything better from Friday (Thursday) Night Lights.

I will never go back to Gretna!!!

39 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Fort Chiswell comes to mind for me as being one of the worst fan bases. I recall a game at Mitchell in which they talked trash non-stop. The following year I got to the game late and decided to just sit on Fort's side. That was a mistake. Kinda surprised me honestly. When I think of Fort Chiswell I think of a quiet farming community. They can sure raise some hell on Friday nights.

I will second this.  I heard a story about a FC fan going down onto the field at Rural Retreat and somehow got right beside an official and threatened him.  When the police tackled the man a knife flew out of his pocket.  

Worst ever experience for me was Gate City.  Won't hurt my feelings if never go back to a game there.  Ran into some rude people at Marion.  Had a few rough occasions at Mitchell Stadium as well.

Ironically Grundy has always been good when I've been there along with Abingdon, John Battle and Hurley.

I will second this.  I heard a story about a FC fan going down onto the field at Rural Retreat and somehow got right beside an official and threatened him.  When the police tackled the man a knife flew out of his pocket.  

Maybe there is a reason their home side sits in the dark

Back in the day, there was no place worse than Gate City.  Hostile and aggressive fans would sit next to the visitors' section, circle the track, or hang around the opponents' side concession stand. They'd incessantly taunt and harass adults, children, cheerleaders, band members, and football players. The old steam engine train whistle (The Blue Cannonball) was parked nearby, which only incited the crowd even more.  Basically, the only Gate City people not found in the visitors' section were law enforcement and GCHS Administrators. 

2 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

If you come to Tazewell, don’t sit in the lower section on the 20 yard line near the score board. The Moores, McDonald’s and Jordan’s sit there, and myself and we all tend to say what’s on our minds. 

I actually have observed a worse experience on the opposite side (field house) in the past. My best experiences were probably around the 30-40 on the scoreboard side. Sometimes, it was as a neutral observer rooting for Tazewell. The best I remember there was oddly enough when Richlands beat Tazewell in that Region Championship in 2008. It was an overflow crowd, and I sat with family that graduated from Tazewell. That was many years ago now. 

I agree with Liam about Gate City being most hostile historically. I couldn’t say recently.

Depends on who the hostility is directed at, opponent's fans, players, coaches, our own, or officials.

I hear quite a few insults hurled at officials and our own coaches from the Union fans on a weekly basis. As far as hostile to the visitors, it would have to be GC back in the day, and even so recently. I heard some GC fans yelling at the Radford players after the game last year, calling them cheaters. No reason for a grown man to be yelling at teenagers just trying to play a HS sport. It's different if they're on your lawn. haha

Nicest place would have to be David Crockett. Very nice folks there. I will say that I think Richlands and Union have a mutual respect for one another. I've had several friendly ribbings with random Blues fans over the years, and they've all been great.

The all around just sucks place has to be Central. From students yelling racial slurs to smack talking fans or just beyond rude gate workers. Can't stand going there.

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Back in the day, there was no place worse than Gate City.  Hostile and aggressive fans would sit next to the visitors' section, circle the track, or hang around the opponents' side concession stand. They'd incessantly taunt and harass adults, children, cheerleaders, band members, and football players. The old steam engine train whistle (The Blue Cannonball) was parked nearby, which only incited the crowd even more.  Basically, the only Gate City people not found in the visitors' section were law enforcement and GCHS Administrators. 

Early and late 2000's for me and exactly what you said

38 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Depends on who the hostility is directed at, opponent's fans, players, coaches, our own, or officials.

I hear quite a few insults hurled at officials and our own coaches from the Union fans on a weekly basis. As far as hostile to the visitors, it would have to be GC back in the day, and even so recently. I heard some GC fans yelling at the Radford players after the game last year, calling them cheaters. No reason for a grown man to be yelling at teenagers just trying to play a HS sport. It's different if they're on your lawn. haha

Nicest place would have to be David Crockett. Very nice folks there. I will say that I think Richlands and Union have a mutual respect for one another. I've had several friendly ribbings with random Blues fans over the years, and they've all been great.

The all around just sucks place has to be Central. From students yelling racial slurs to smack talking fans or just beyond rude gate workers. Can't stand going there.

Or sitting 80 yards from the field at Central

12 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Or sitting 80 yards from the field at Central

Central takes the cake.  Several reasons:

1) They are Abingdon lite in their self perception….look down on their counterparts.  An unearned arrogance…..especially with their “super class” last couple of years.

2) Spoke to the Richlands coaches after Mance’s last game (playoff game loss) and everyone of them asked “Are they always this mouthy?” And “mouthiest team we’ve ever played.”

3) Was talking with Trenton Adkins after a RV win at Central and the kid had about 300 yards and dominated them and he said “They trash talked me and called me names up to the last minute and we won by 20+.”

4) They started the practice of taking a team picture sitting on the other teams logo with their “W” sign and then had an absolute fit when RV did that to them last year in the playoffs.

5) Absolutely responsible for the handshake line throw down with the RV Little league team.

Just a team and program that takes every opportunity to rub it in your face when they win.  And a crappy place to watch a game.

6 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

1) They are Abingdon lite in their self perception….look down on their counterparts.  An unearned arrogance…..especially with their “super class” last couple of years.

2) Spoke to the Richlands coaches after Mance’s last game (playoff game loss) and everyone of them asked “Are they always this mouthy?” And “mouthiest team we’ve ever played.”

3) Was talking with Trenton Adkins after a RV win at Central and the kid had about 300 yards and dominated them and he said “They trash talked me and called me names up to the last minute and we won by 20+.”

4) They started the practice of taking a team picture sitting on the other teams logo with their “W” sign and then had an absolute fit when RV did that to them last year in the playoffs.

5) Absolutely responsible for the handshake line throw down with the RV Little league team.

Just a team and program that takes every opportunity to rub it in your face when they win.  And a crappy place to watch a game.

I get this feeling you don't much care for Central😂. Was it the 2019 game that Graham had a starter ejected at the very end of the game versus Central? That ejection hurt us really bad the following week. Of all the kids on Graham's team that year I would have put money on that kid not getting ejected. He was almost too nice to play football. I recall our kids talking after the game how mouthy they were.

Oh I could tell stories about different fan bases. 

Gate City-Historically, among the worst fans in SWVA. You had grown men and women mouthing off to kids on the opposing team. You’d have some fans kicking the drum major’s podium to make her fall. You’d have students throwing objects at opposing fans in the visitor section. In 2002 or 2003 I was talking to friends from Gate City and was threatened bodily harm because I was from Powell Valley. 

Come to find out that the majority of Gate City fans on here act like they have a lick of sense. 

Breathitt County KY-In 2003, PV football and band buses vandalized. Death threats to a freshman PV band member. 

JJ Kelly-The cockiness of the fans was on another level. They are the only fanbase I have ever seen making a t shirt for winning a game. I remember back in 1999, when they pulled off the biggest upset in 30 years vs. PV. It snapped a fairly lengthy winning streak for PV’s program, so emotions were obviously running high. But when a pickup truck full of Kelly fans throws a rake at high school football players then that’s ridiculous. 

Another incident was when I was 9 or 10 years old. Back in like 1997. PV was at Kelly. Beat the stuffing out of Kelly too. PV mascot Dennis Durham had gotten killed in a car wreck (I think it was a wreck) before the season. A memorial wreath for Dennis was on the sidelines for PV every game. Some girl from Kelly grabbed it off the sideline, ran with it, and ripped it up. 

Central-The arrogance is about as bad as JJ Kelly. Their football program just started getting good. The arrogance started getting even more off the charts. The fan base is obnoxious. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

6. This is why Ralph Cummins and a few others said Jesus Christ couldn’t coach at Wise.

One of the worst I have seen players treated was when I went  and watched PH play Chilhowie at Chilhowie in the regional championship game a few years back. PH players was having to stand in water completely over their ankles on the sidelines because Chilhowie wouldn’t move the game to Emory. 

Gate City back in the day.

Fort Chiswell I agree.

Narrows, I haven’t been recently but I can remember some pretty bad behavior. 

EC Glass not fans but some of the coaches were making comments that were derogatory towards our players.