Week 5 Scores & Updates

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

RV won 40-14 but it really wasn’t that close.  They had two TDs taken off the board by penalties, fumbled into the end zone for a touchback and fired a bad snap 14 yards behind the QB while on the Lee three yard line.  
They’ve got a good mix of running, deep shots to Beavers and Counts and working Hill underneath in the LBs.  O’Quinn creates such problems in the run game.  They have to stop shooting their selves in the foot, though. They took 28 points off the board tonight.

I still don’t feel like the RV coaching staff has their horse in front of the cart.  Why in the hell do they go four wide and then run the QB over to the sideline to get the play?  Why don’t they try to isolate their big play WRs on single coverage. Time mgt and play calling seem like a big struggle.  Man….a lot of coaches around the region would love to have that talent though.

I hope so. It appears with the scores tonight that there is not a clear cut favorite to make it to Salem from this side of the state.  
Graham is number 1 there until proven otherwise, but the opportunity is there. Especially since it looks like there is a great shot at a 10-0 season.  Though I still think Union, Abingdon, Bluefield, and now GC bpts some speed bumps up. 

10 hours ago, 70Chip said:

That honor goes to Ridgeview 

I wouldn’t say the worst.  I would say the offensive calls lately may be some of the worst.  Dad and son trying to call them together  jumping around on the sidelines, and at the same time is doing nothing but causing confusion.  And why not go under center on the 3rd and goal on the half yard line??   Instead we line up shotgun and snap it 25 yards over the QB.  If we expect to go anywhere and beat any good teams we have to cut out the mistakes and sure up some coaching responsibilities.   Those unforced mistakes are going to catch up to us soon. 

3 hours ago, Gmen2021 said:

I think GC is improving but Union likely overlooked them with Ridgeview next and getting beat up last week . 

Don't sleep on Union. When you are heavy run and shorten the game, you are often in games you maybe shouldn't be in and you should be ahead. But......when you are heavy run and shorten the game, you are also often in games against a better team that you shouldn't be in. Union has the ability up front for one day, for one given game, to beat Graham or RV in the playoffs. I'm not saying they do, but it's absolutely no shocker to me if it happens. 

GC went into that game probably playing out of their minds and thinking Powell Valley is the opponent and it was their Superbowl compared to Union with Graham last week and upcoming RV. Credit GC for being up and ready to go. That's part of the game.

Martinsville blasts Halifax County who was previously undefeated and they also beat Dan River worse than Appo beat Dan River. The Dogs go to 4 and 0. I don't think the Dogs are beating Radford in Region C come playoff time, but if they meet Appo or Glenvar before Radford, they have a legitimate chance to knock off Appo or Glenvar. After all, they have already beat Glenvar.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Martinsville blasts Halifax County who was previously undefeated and they also beat Dan River worse than Appo beat Dan River. The Dogs go to 4 and 0. I don't think the Dogs are beating Radford in Region C come playoff time, but if they meet Appo or Glenvar before Radford, they have a legitimate chance to knock off Appo or Glenvar. After all, they have already beat Glenvar.

Martinsville showed potential last year at having a very good team this year so im not surprised by their success thus far. Appo is a small and kinda young team this year.  They have some growing to do but coach finds a way to make them mesh as 1 for playoffs. 

Congrats to the Southeast Whitfield Raiders (Dalton, GA) in their win over Druid Hills last night.  This gives them a 4-1 record.  Best showing since 2017.  

Watching the Blues play Bluefield last night and listening to the Loris game, at same time was nerve wrecking.   I thought the Blues defense did well last night,  showing no quit in them.  Having a one dimensional game is the Achilles Heel for the Blues.  The running game can't be maximized, because the opponent knows what's coming.  I was glad to see Dylan playing QB the last couple of series and completing some throws.  It may be a "turn down day", but I saw some stepping stones for the Blues.  Don't throw stones, it isn't beneficial for anyone, especially these young players.  Hats off to Coach Tarter who stepped up and in at a tumultuous time for the Blues.  

GO BLUES 

GO LORIS LIONS

GO SOUTHEAST WHITFIELD RAIDERS

12 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I hope so. It appears with the scores tonight that there is not a clear cut favorite to make it to Salem from this side of the state.  
Graham is number 1 there until proven otherwise, but the opportunity is there. Especially since it looks like there is a great shot at a 10-0 season.  Though I still think Union, Abingdon, Bluefield, and now GC bpts some speed bumps up. 

No worries with Union y’all will win by 30-40 pts no problem cant defend pass