Week 5 Scores & Updates

Gridiron60

11 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We aren't as good at certain positions as I thought we would be this time last year...and the musical chairs in our backfield needs to be put to bed

That was BandanaBabyVTDavis prediction not yours and I agree with the musical chairs. I would almost go back with the backfield from week one that scored the most points than in any game since? Scored 35 then change things every single week since? Yep ... solid coaching decisions once again 

4 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

That was BandanaBabyVTDavis prediction not yours and I agree with the musical chairs. I would almost go back with the backfield from week one that scored the most points than in any game since? Scored 35 then change things every single week since? Yep ... solid coaching decisions once again 

Just the world we live in these days...got to keep every kid happy stuff...#5 has to be TB IMO but Baylor needs to be somewhere...kid is a player

5 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Just the world we live in these days...got to keep every kid happy stuff...#5 has to be TB IMO but Baylor needs to be somewhere...kid is a player

#5 tip toes into the hole, can't run between the tackles and has a terrible arm. He's great in open space but is not a tailback. Switching him and #23 around gives him opportunities to get into open space which he is hands down the most dangerous ball carrier on the team. If you wanted to get better as team and be a more productive offense you need to address the elephant in the room and maybe put Baylor at the other backfield position that hasn't changed and prevents us from gaining yards play after play after play

11 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

#5 tip toes into the hole, can't run between the tackles and has a terrible arm. He's great in open space but is not a tailback. Switching him and #23 around gives him opportunities to get into open space which he is hands down the most dangerous ball carrier on the team. If you wanted to get better as team and be a more productive offense you need to address the elephant in the room and maybe put Baylor at the other backfield position that hasn't changed and prevents us from gaining yards play after play after play

I said IMO....#5 is our only homerun hitter and IMO has to be at TB with our OL not being very good

3 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

And our passing game is non existent no matter who throws it

Our line can not pass block, period. No matter who has tried to pass, they have had no time whatsoever. Had to hurry, try to throw on the run, or tuck and run with no where to go. 

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

And our passing game is non existent no matter who throws it

Our line not being very good is the exact reason why we should switch the backs like we did against Blacksburg. #23 will give you 3-4 yards between the tackles and #5 will might give you 1-2. #5 can hit a home run if he gets in space which isn't very likely playing solely at TB. Take the Narrows game for example.... 

8 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Our line not being very good is the exact reason why we should switch the backs like we did against Blacksburg. #23 will give you 3-4 yards between the tackles and #5 will might give you 1-2. #5 can hit a home run if he gets in space which isn't very likely playing solely at TB. Take the Narrows game for example.... 

We just disagree....#5 IMO is our best player and needs to ball in his hands...it's about the only way we have scored this year by the long runs

12 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

Our line can not pass block, period. No matter who has tried to pass, they have had no time whatsoever. Had to hurry, try to throw on the run, or tuck and run with no where to go. 

The announcers on the radio broadcast from Saturday said that pass to an extremely wide open Jacob Edwards looked like a punt lol A DB in a wheelchair could have gotten back in time to defend that one. Every play can change a ball game. I believe the last Giles State title game was won on a pass was it not? It's a shame the catcher of that pass is coaching at a rival school 

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We just disagree....#5 IMO is our best player and needs to ball in his hands...it's about the only way we have scored this year by the long runs

Offense seemed improved in the second half honestly Sat did it not?! You are repeating my exact point though. #5 got space by not being at TB every play. How many of those long plays has came from him at TB??? I know that answer actually...they came from him at Wing not TB. I believe the radio crew have numerous times referred to his running style as very "tentative" I agree once again that he is the most dangerous ball carrier we have however they need to find ways to get him in space. Him at TB completely eliminates the bread butter of of the single wing. 

9 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Offense seemed improved in the second half honestly Sat did it not?! You are repeating my exact point though. #5 got space by not being at TB every play. How many of those long plays has came from him at TB??? I know that answer actually...they came from him at Wing not TB. I believe the radio crew have numerous times referred to his running style as very "tentative" I agree once again that he is the most dangerous ball carrier we have however they need to find ways to get him in space. Him at TB completely eliminates the bread butter of of the single wing. 

Go tell Jeff and see if he agrees

4 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Well I can't change your football IQ over a thread. Some people just watch with a better knowledge base than others it seems

Go tell Jeff he just lost to an 0-4 team will finish with a losing record for the 4th out of the last 5 years and see if he agrees 🤷

3 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Go tell Jeff he just lost to an 0-4 team will finish with a losing record for the 4th out of the last 5 years and see if he agrees 🤷

Why don't you go tell him your opinions on what would definitely make us a better team....afterall you have a state championship as a coach...oh wait that's him

6 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Why don't you go tell him your opinions on what would definitely make us a better team....afterall you have a state championship as a coach...oh wait that's him

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for you to go tell him what a bang up job he's doing instead? Like Giles Football is on top of the world right now!!! Went from an annual contender to.....oh nevermind 

I do think Giles has a good coaching staff with many former state championship players/coaches. And after watching a few practices this year I don’t think Jeff is burnt out yet. I can tell by the emotions in practices that he still cares and wants to be successful. Our O-line needs some improvements and we have to try getting consistent with our backfield situation. When I look at 23, 5, and 4 they all have strengths and weaknesses so I can see why they are getting rotated around. And it’s likely going to continue until someone steps up and shows they deserve the TB spot. I’m also not going to rule out 35 because that kid is just a very good athlete and could be successful running the ball as well.

Looking forward, next year we’re going to be adding a few other good sophomore running backs to the mix. But we have got to fix the line play or none of the running backs will have success.

15 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for you to go tell him what a bang up job he's doing instead? Like Giles Football is on top of the world right now!!! Went from an annual contender to.....oh nevermind 

No cause you seem to know more than me,Jeff or anyone on the giles coaching staff...so go ahead dude give them your valuable input 

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

No cause you seem to know more than me,Jeff or anyone on the giles coaching staff...so go ahead dude give them your valuable input 

Well, I definitely know more than you..... that's for sure! 

3 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I do think Giles has a good coaching staff with many former state championship players/coaches. And after watching a few practices this year I don’t think Jeff is burnt out yet. I can tell by the emotions in practices that he still cares and wants to be successful. Our O-line needs some improvements and we have to try getting consistent with our backfield situation. When I look at 23, 5, and 4 they all have strengths and weaknesses so I can see why they are getting rotated around. And it’s likely going to continue until someone steps up and shows they deserve the TB spot. I’m also not going to rule out 35 because that kid is just a very good athlete and could be successful running the ball as well.

Looking forward, next year we’re going to be adding a few other good sophomore running backs to the mix. But we have got to fix the line play or none of the running backs will have success.

Agree...somebody in this year's backfield is likely to get moved to another offensive position next year

But with no OL it will be more of the same