Thomas Walker @ Union

UnionGuy2017

15 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

absolutely no way this is close.. Gate City has a pretty good team even though no one wants to admit it. The only way this is kinda close is if Union throws it 50 times just to work on that and TW picks them off a bunch! They should just hang out in the T and do what they do best and run the ball stay healthy get a running clock by half time and move on. 

GC is fundamentally sound, and is a much better team than they appeared to be against Richlands. Look forward to seeing how they match up with Ridgeview.

Union's coaches have to put the pride behind them and realize they need to make changes at QB. They have the talent to do so many things on offense IF they utilize EVERY weapon at their disposal. #10 would be awesome at receiver, RB(on jet sweeps, counters, etc) and could really be used at DB.

12 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

GC is fundamentally sound, and is a much better team than they appeared to be against Richlands. Look forward to seeing how they match up with Ridgeview.

Union's coaches have to put the pride behind them and realize they need to make changes at QB. They have the talent to do so many things on offense IF they utilize EVERY weapon at their disposal. #10 would be awesome at receiver, RB(on jet sweeps, counters, etc) and could really be used at DB.

Exactly #10 can play all over the field just not QB.  It’s not 1980 you can’t win anymore just running 5 plays 

Once again this 1 is closer then the experts think. Union will not change anything if the past doesn't show you anything I don't know what will. They are stubborn out there and Turner is surrounded by yes MEN. Union has had 3 games they've won easily and could have worked on the passing game did he nope sure didn't. So once again I'll buy a ticket to go watch my daughter in the band and watch rayshean run the same 5 plays. 3 of them will work and the other 2 will not. It's a monkey show out there. 🙊🙊🙊

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

This. #10 is an amazing amazing athlete. He would succeed anywhere he was placed. Would be an awesome DB/Rover safety. 

On 9/24/2022 at 4:47 PM, Union_Fan said:

A couple weeks ago, I thought this thread wouldn't be worth a thought let alone a discussion. Now, the coaching staff has much to figure out if they want to be taken seriously by any team left on their schedule.

If they can't win this game by a very comfortable margin, they can forget being competitive against Ridgeview.

Union will no doubt win this week, but the question is by how much. Union was better than Gate City by at least 3 touchdowns just had mental mistakes with the bad snap and mis communication on the 4th down in the late 4th quarter and had terrible coverage on any pass past 10 yds. D-line struggled at times but for the most part #70 done his job. Need more from #33 and #16 on the defensive side. Would love to see a 5 front with 33 and 16 on the edge and adding 52 at nose guard with 70 and 62 at DT. the two CBs are no good for use. The Bostic kid is for sure the better defender but is also a freshman and has much room for improvement. The senior on the other side has so excuse. On the offensive side you have what should be one of the most talented ones in the region turned into an average offense with 2 below average receivers which once again like defense the freshmen is better but also has room for improvement and the senior just needs to be taken out. would love to see the Cochran kid get some PT on both sides this week against T-dub and see how he does. though he played good in the Elizabethton scrimmage with a couple good break ups at corner. Against Gate City #13 should have had at least 15-20 touches along with QB1 #10 needs to have a chance to drop back and throw to his receivers (which should be #4, #7, and #23) the Bostic kid needs to be out there too some but plays need to be directed to #4, #13, and #10. Another problem Union had against gate city was chewing clock. Union has one of the best "chew clock" formations ever with the T formation. Give the ball to #28 and pound and give it to #13 and #17 every now and then in that formation. #17 does his job with or without the ball and that is what makes him a necessity on both sides of the ball. Turner also needs to trust #10 with the ball and let him be the mobile QB he is. He can drop back when needed but can also take off on any given occasion. Now speaking of the offense, the O-line needs redone almost completely. you have to have #70 in there as a 3-year starter there was no need to pull him off at all this year. #61 has been completely disappointing this year blocking the edge on any type of run or pass. I honestly feel bad for the Anderson kid as he really just runs for his life on most passing plays and honestly gets positive yards most of the time. Thomas Walker might score a pity touchdown with Jv team and probably a passing one against #18 in but should be Union dominating all game. Calling 51-16 Union 

With the number of returning players union has this season, I don't think they should be getting beat on the silly mistakes they're making.  Kids are kids and are going to make mistakes on the field.  Gotta put them where they belong to make plays even if that means putting them lower on the depth chart. They have an offense that suits them and allows them to move the ball but they don't stay in it. Defense has some shifting to take care of as well.  A couple of current starters look out of position.  Both sides of the ball have personnel issues that need addressed, yesterday.  Kids and politics don't decide what goes on the field. Get your best 11 on the field and get the ball to your playmakers. Sometimes the adults need to do a little self- reflection also. They've still gotta chance at making a great run in the post season.  Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

With the number of returning players union has this season, I don't think they should be getting beat on the silly mistakes they're making.  Kids are kids and are going to make mistakes on the field.  Gotta put them where they belong to make plays even if that means putting them lower on the depth chart. They have an offense that suits them and allows them to move the ball but they don't stay in it. Defense has some shifting to take care of as well.  A couple of current starters look out of position.  Both sides of the ball have personnel issues that need addressed, yesterday.  Kids and politics don't decide what goes on the field. Get your best 11 on the field and get the ball to your playmakers. Sometimes the adults need to do a little self- reflection also. They've still gotta chance at making a great run in the post season.  Good luck. 

I don’t know why people think Union returned alot of players this season.  They lost most of the backfield and this year they’re starting 5 or 6 freshman.

11 hours ago, Inside_Informer said:

Union will no doubt win this week, but the question is by how much. Union was better than Gate City by at least 3 touchdowns just had mental mistakes with the bad snap and mis communication on the 4th down in the late 4th quarter and had terrible coverage on any pass past 10 yds. D-line struggled at times but for the most part #70 done his job. Need more from #33 and #16 on the defensive side. Would love to see a 5 front with 33 and 16 on the edge and adding 52 at nose guard with 70 and 62 at DT. the two CBs are no good for use. The Bostic kid is for sure the better defender but is also a freshman and has much room for improvement. The senior on the other side has so excuse. On the offensive side you have what should be one of the most talented ones in the region turned into an average offense with 2 below average receivers which once again like defense the freshmen is better but also has room for improvement and the senior just needs to be taken out. would love to see the Cochran kid get some PT on both sides this week against T-dub and see how he does. though he played good in the Elizabethton scrimmage with a couple good break ups at corner. Against Gate City #13 should have had at least 15-20 touches along with QB1 #10 needs to have a chance to drop back and throw to his receivers (which should be #4, #7, and #23) the Bostic kid needs to be out there too some but plays need to be directed to #4, #13, and #10. Another problem Union had against gate city was chewing clock. Union has one of the best "chew clock" formations ever with the T formation. Give the ball to #28 and pound and give it to #13 and #17 every now and then in that formation. #17 does his job with or without the ball and that is what makes him a necessity on both sides of the ball. Turner also needs to trust #10 with the ball and let him be the mobile QB he is. He can drop back when needed but can also take off on any given occasion. Now speaking of the offense, the O-line needs redone almost completely. you have to have #70 in there as a 3-year starter there was no need to pull him off at all this year. #61 has been completely disappointing this year blocking the edge on any type of run or pass. I honestly feel bad for the Anderson kid as he really just runs for his life on most passing plays and honestly gets positive yards most of the time. Thomas Walker might score a pity touchdown with Jv team and probably a passing one against #18 in but should be Union dominating all game. Calling 51-16 Union 

Brutal but honest assessment. Yes Union should have came out in the T the second half and wore GC out. They moved the ball very well from that formation. I'm note sure why they keep running base double wing offense with #13 not playing %100 healthy. I think he (13) is the reason that formation works so well. 

#17 or #16 in the T formation? #16 is the best blocking back on the team!

Union will easily will this week however it’s simply foolish to not give the ball to 13 more often, he’s clearly our best back and if we keep up running our qb as much as we do he’s going to get hurt, yes i know he’s our best player but we have to try other things, if 70 and keith are back on the o line he may actually have a chance to pass the ball this week. On the defensive side not making any changes or subs to our secondary is probably the stupidest thing we have ever done. It’s almost as if someone makes a mistake it’s just ignored.

Union will easily will this week however it’s simply foolish to not give the ball to 13 more often, he’s clearly our best back and if we keep up running our qb as much as we do he’s going to get hurt, yes i know he’s our best player but we have to try other things, if 70 and keith are back on the o line he may actually have a chance to pass the ball this week. On the defensive side not making any changes or subs to our secondary is probably the stupidest thing we have ever done. It’s almost as if someone makes a mistake it’s just ignored.

if u think turner knows what he’s doing after last week then you’re crazy. he’s gone soft. most of the o line is pitiful. need hall and keith back out there. but we’ll just see another week of 18 getting burnt and the same plays ran. if he’s not careful then 10 gonna get hurt and we’re screwed because we don’t have any other good qbs. also need to get huff the ball on some sweeps and bubbles, get him open field to do his thing 

No chance TW stays close after the first Q. This’ll be a tune up game for Union. Hopefully they can iron some kinks out before they have to face better competition. I don’t think the Pioneers have any ability to slow down Unions run game. They may score once or twice but they won’t have any sustained drives. Bears win 54-6

45 minutes ago, UnionFella23 said:

if u think turner knows what he’s doing after last week then you’re crazy. he’s gone soft. most of the o line is pitiful. need hall and keith back out there. but we’ll just see another week of 18 getting burnt and the same plays ran. if he’s not careful then 10 gonna get hurt and we’re screwed because we don’t have any other good qbs. also need to get huff the ball on some sweeps and bubbles, get him open field to do his thing 

Are you serious the Sykes kid would be starting QB for alot of schools 

10 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

That's where the frustration is amongst us. When you see Sykes throw the ball it's obvious. He may very well be as good as the Wolfpack QB,but we'll never know:(.

12 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

2 minutes ago, Unchained said:

That's where the frustration is amongst us. When you see Sykes throw the ball it's obvious. He may very well be as good as the Wolfpack QB,but we'll never know:(.

I’d imagine we’ll be seeing him playing next season a couple miles up the road 

Sykes showed he could throw the ball well in the Elizabethton scrimmage, and the GW benefit game.  I am taking nothing away from the current QB, the kid is an athlete and can make plays, but not from the QB position. Put him in the backfield or at WR and get him some touches, and let him make some plays. I agree he would make a difference on the defensive side of the ball as well, not scared of contact.  Cochran not on the field blows my mind, the kid put in a ton of work from last season to this season, and from what I heard had a excellent summer at the 7 on 7 games, and I thought for sure he would be out there on the defensive side of the ball.  Satterfield not touching the ball more than 4 to 5 times a game is just insane, Satterfield has blocked for every running back that he has played with and got his few carries here and there, and seems to always be getting tough yards, and running hard nosed, and BAM he no longer gets more than 4 to 5 carries a game.........

Not sure why Union took Zach Hall from center, he has been a starter at center his whole high school career if I am not mistaken, and Izaak Keith is stout at the MLB position, and had played on the line for a couple of years, and now he's not even playing offense. I understand that you want to keep as many kids from going both ways as much as possible,  but when the job is not getting done, it's time to suck it up, and put your best 11 out there, whether you have to have kids going both ways or not.  Sitting at 3-2, with Thomas Walker, Ridgeview, Abingdon, Central and John Battle left, you would think changes would be made, and the best 11 would be placed on the field, no matter whose mommy's or daddy's get their feelings hurt.

5 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Sykes showed he could throw the ball well in the Elizabethton scrimmage, and the GW benefit game.  I am taking nothing away from the current QB, the kid is an athlete and can make plays, but not from the QB position. Put him in the backfield or at WR and get him some touches, and let him make some plays. I agree he would make a difference on the defensive side of the ball as well, not scared of contact.  Cochran not on the field blows my mind, the kid put in a ton of work from last season to this season, and from what I heard had a excellent summer at the 7 on 7 games, and I thought for sure he would be out there on the defensive side of the ball.  Satterfield not touching the ball more than 4 to 5 times a game is just insane, Satterfield has blocked for every running back that he has played with and got his few carries here and there, and seems to always be getting tough yards, and running hard nosed, and BAM he no longer gets more than 4 to 5 carries a game.........

Not sure why Union took Zach Hall from center, he has been a starter at center his whole high school career if I am not mistaken, and Izaak Keith is stout at the MLB position, and had played on the line for a couple of years, and now he's not even playing offense. I understand that you want to keep as many kids from going both ways as much as possible,  but when the job is not getting done, it's time to suck it up, and put your best 11 out there, whether you have to have kids going both ways or not.  Sitting at 3-2, with Thomas Walker, Ridgeview, Abingdon, Central and John Battle left, you would think changes would be made, and the best 11 would be placed on the field, no matter whose mommy's or daddy's get their feelings hurt.

Agree with everything you said, this season has many scratching their heads about what's going on 

All these comments where do I start. Just be ready to be disappointed tonite tdub will keep this close. Skyes will be up the road in red and black next year fact and I hope he torches union next 2 years. Cochran will not see the field because that would take off the field the 18 kid because he looks good in pads 1 of unions coaches words not mine, also #2 wont never be taken off the field redshirt freshman and Bostic's son. Also after going back and watching some tape the offensive line couldn't block my dead grandmother. It's shameful in order for the T Formation to work the line must block bigs up front let rbs get to next level. Hell Satterfield and Anderson are blocking DT'S DE'S in the backfield. I'm going union 34 t dub 30. Just remember last year.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Agree with everything you said, this season has many scratching their heads about what's going on 

If turner has made any good decision this year it is keeping #10 at QB. Tired of y’all bashing this kid when he is a top player in the district. Yes Sykes has had his moments but I would much rather have 10 running my offense. Y’all are forgetting the fact that the O line is gonna be the same and the Sykes kid will not escape pressure as well as 10 does. Y’all need to start thinking about the other factors of switching  QBs . Throw power, footwork, mobility is all 10 while the Sykes kid has slightly better accuracy but hardly at all. 10 has turned many what should be 10 yd sacks into 10-15yd gains this year.

I'm just trying figure out why Turner is scared to play certain kids and take certain kids off the field. Look before this year. There has only been 3 freshman to ever start for Union Jeb Stidium and James Mitchell then some bum Zac Hall the last 3 years. Aint no way some of these freshman start if Turner wasn't trying to make certain daddy's happy. Tell me I'm wrong ill be waiting. 

14 minutes ago, Inside_Informer said:

If turner has made any good decision this year it is keeping #10 at QB. Tired of y’all bashing this kid when he is a top player in the district. Yes Sykes has had his moments but I would much rather have 10 running my offense. Y’all are forgetting the fact that the O line is gonna be the same and the Sykes kid will not escape pressure as well as 10 does. Y’all need to start thinking about the other factors of switching  QBs . Throw power, footwork, mobility is all 10 while the Sykes kid has slightly better accuracy but hardly at all. 10 has turned many what should be 10 yd sacks into 10-15yd gains this year.

Nobody on here is debating his mobility or athletic ability. He's an asset to the team,but at QB you have to have an arm, Gone are the days of lining up and running all over folks. If you want to go far you absolutely have to throw the ball effectively to keep the defense honest. Right now to stop predictable Union just load the box.. This has to change or it will be an early exit.