Week 6: Richlands @ Ridgeview

SwvaOG

10 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

The Blues are struggling and the Pack seems to be rolling.  It has been a strange year, do the Blues have a chance to keep this close?  Will the Pack finally put together a complete game?

Yelp

I’ve not been to every game like some have, but it seems to me the turnovers are the biggest issue.  The coaching staff is new, and it does seem that they do make adjustments throughout the games.  I’d like to see Ridgeview run more screens and short to intermediate passes.  Let the wide outs do the heavy lifting,  Beavers and Hill in open space will be a secondary’s nightmare. 

7 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I’ve not been to every game like some have, but it seems to me the turnovers are the biggest issue.  The coaching staff is new, and it does seem that they do make adjustments throughout the games.  I’d like to see Ridgeview run more screens and short to intermediate passes.  Let the wide outs do the heavy lifting,  Beavers and Hill in open space will be a secondary’s nightmare. 

For whatever reason beavers and hill always seem to be on the same side and on the short side of the field.  Seems a waste to me to bunch them up on the short side.  Give them space 

3 hours ago, Backpack said:

For whatever reason beavers and hill always seem to be on the same side and on the short side of the field.  Seems a waste to me to bunch them up on the short side.  Give them space 

Staff doesn't fully understand spacing and how to best utilize their toys.  They actually make it easy, by formation, to align coverage.  You absolutely need to utilize motion and shifts to confuse the defense.  Don’t utilize Beavers in the slot or inside which limits his route options.  Hill is built for short and intermediate routes but can go get it deep.  Counts should win every single coverage situation he is in.   Against Lee, they lined up all three on the same side in a bunch and left #4 WR in single coverage.  Why?  Switch the #4 WR with Counts or Beavers and get that single coverage, or, better yet....motion someone out of the bunch and across the formation.  

41 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’ll be interested to see if we see Brown move to QB and run the wildcat going forward. 

Is that an adjustment or are they bailing on their offensive scheme?  I understand he is their best weapon.  Can he throw or are they just giving up the passing attack?

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Staff doesn't fully understand spacing and how to best utilize their toys.  They actually make it easy, by formation, to align coverage.  You absolutely need to utilize motion and shifts to confuse the defense.  Don’t utilize Beavers in the slot or inside which limits his route options.  Hill is built for short and intermediate routes but can go get it deep.  Counts should win every single coverage situation he is in.   Against Lee, they lined up all three on the same side in a bunch and left #4 WR in single coverage.  Why?  Switch the #4 WR with Counts or Beavers and get that single coverage, or, better yet....motion someone out of the bunch and across the formation.  

You took the words out of my mouth.  I ask the same question week after week.  Why? 

47 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Is that an adjustment or are they bailing on their offensive scheme?  I understand he is their best weapon.  Can he throw or are they just giving up the passing attack?

They went to it in the 4th against Bluefield and actually scored. Brown threw a couple passes in there, too. He used to be a QB until he got to varsity, so he’s not unfamiliar with what to do. 

Who knows. Maybe they go back to Simmons. 

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

From what I seen against Bluefield there is little to no drop off in passing ability from Simmons to Brown. However I never really seen them throw a deep ball. 

8 hours ago, EH31 said:

From what I seen against Bluefield there is little to no drop off in passing ability from Simmons to Brown. However I never really seen them throw a deep ball. 

Might be an improvement? 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:50 AM, SwvaOG said:

Ridgeview has a "#4" receiver that can be just as talented and good with the ball in his hands. As an added bonus he will move from his stance and actually block on running plays or run a route when he knows he's not getting the ball. I've said it previously and I'll say it again, until Ridgeview coaching staff and players start doing a better job of spreading the ball around and quit trying to force it to one or two players they will never beat the top tier teams. 

12 hours ago, 70Chip said:

Ridgeview has a "#4" receiver that can be just as talented and good with the ball in his hands. As an added bonus he will move from his stance and actually block on running plays or run a route when he knows he's not getting the ball. I've said it previously and I'll say it again, until Ridgeview coaching staff and players start doing a better job of spreading the ball around and quit trying to force it to one or two players they will never beat the top tier teams. 

I initially agreed with your response but I went back and studied the film.  Ridgeview does spread it around and they don’t pass it like everyone thinks they do.  The debate is if they spread it around correctly.
Total touches to include pass targets:

Hill (14), Hartsock (11), Profit (11), O’Quin (8), Ratliff (6), Beavers (5), Honaker (3), Counts (3) and 1 attempt was undetermined who the target was.  Ridgeview ran the ball 44 times and passed 18.  What sticks out to me is Beavers, Counts and Honaker account for only 11 touches/ targets combined. 

41 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I initially agreed with your response but I went back and studied the film.  Ridgeview does spread it around and they don’t pass it like everyone thinks they do.  The debate is if they spread it around correctly.
Total touches to include pass targets:

Hill (14), Hartsock (11), Profit (11), O’Quin (8), Ratliff (6), Beavers (5), Honaker (3), Counts (3) and 1 attempt was undetermined who the target was.  Ridgeview ran the ball 44 times and passed 18.  What sticks out to me is Beavers, Counts and Honaker account for only 11 touches/ targets combined. 

Beavers should be touching the ball a minimum of 15 times a game. Same for Hill.  The rest will depend on what defenses are doing each week. 

After 4 games RV has a yardage breakdown of 51% Run 49% pass you cant get much more balanced than that.

2 most impressive stats behind that is a 66% complexation percentage on the year and a 13.2 yard Average per pass ATTEMPT (20.1 per completion)

In my opinion if RV can eliminate the turnovers they will be a tough out for anyone

3 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Beavers should be touching the ball a minimum of 15 times a game. Same for Hill.  The rest will depend on what defenses are doing each week. 

RV doesn't get the ball to Counts enough either, he is a mismatch against most defenders.   Beavers touches the ball 10% of the time....but RV has never really featured him.  Not sure why.  I think this year the run game is much better so they should run the ball more.  If they run into a defense that can shut that down they have a pretty good passing game to fall back on.  I'd like to see more intermediate passes mixed in but they do mix it up pretty well.