Week 6: Richlands @ Ridgeview

SwvaOG

Just now, tornado99 said:

Definitely, from the each sideline to the crown at midfield at old Ernie Hicks. You’d have to stand on your tiptoes to see the opponent on the opposite sideline.

Gate city used to be like that but it didn’t look as crowned as it used to.  Or maybe I just got taller 

4 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Gate city used to be like that but it didn’t look as crowned as it used to.  Or maybe I just got taller 

Josh Shoemaker couldn’t have seen over ours lol. At the time, he was one of the tallest and best quarterbacks I had ever seen. Obviously, a great basketball player. I seem to remember him playing alongside Tim Duncan at Wake Forest.

I guess since I steered this thread way off track with my musings, I will steer it a little toward the right track and at least direct it back to Ridgeview, and it’s predecessors. I don’t think the current states of each program warrant a prediction. 

Who is the best Clintwood/Haysi/Ervinton/Ridgeview player you have ever seen? My vote is either Justin Hamilton or Gavin? Meade.

1 hour ago, Smnzmom said:

Actually this is completely inaccurate and I’m sure it’s come from the select few that run things at Richlands.  

😂😂😂Yeah, because us Graham fans have the Richlands’ coach & principal on speed dial! Y’all keep all that drama on the western end of the county. We don’t want any part of it! 😂😂😂

53 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, if you're going to hang out here you need to understand a few things:

Union folk are never happy.

Giles is experiencing a civil war.

Tazewell somehow has become overrated.

Graham is Graham

Ridgeview will only go as far as their Dline will take them.

We can't figure out Gate City

Lee is on the upswing.

Eastside is on the downswing.

We're not sure about Burton.

We have our own internal drama, so you may not go directly to the front of the line.

Enjoy.

You win! You win! You win! 🏆 The trophy is yours 😂😂😂😂

Since this thread went completely off the rails 😂, do y’all think the rain favors Richlands? After all, Ridgeview passes a lot, that can be tricky in rain & wind. Maybe some turnovers go in the Blues’ favor??? That would be a bigger upset than GC over Union. The board would literally implode 😂

5 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Since this thread went completely off the rails 😂, do y’all think the rain favors Richlands? After all, Ridgeview passes a lot, that can be tricky in rain & wind. Maybe some turnovers go in the Blues’ favor??? That would be a bigger upset than GC over Union. The board would literally implode 😂

Most definitely favors Richlands but maybe not as much as Richlands would like.  I've watched the RV games this year and they run much more, and effectively, than people realize....about 67%.  I would consider it a bigger upset than GC/Union.  I think RV made a mistake not pushing for an earlier start.  If the game starts with little or no rain look for them to throw "while the powder is dry".  I think a steady rain is worth 10-14 points in Richlands' favor, but I still see a 14+ point win for the Pack in adverse conditions and 20+ points in "meh" conditions.  

On 9/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, SwvaOG said:

I initially agreed with your response but I went back and studied the film.  Ridgeview does spread it around and they don’t pass it like everyone thinks they do.  The debate is if they spread it around correctly.
Total touches to include pass targets:

Hill (14), Hartsock (11), Profit (11), O’Quin (8), Ratliff (6), Beavers (5), Honaker (3), Counts (3) and 1 attempt was undetermined who the target was.  Ridgeview ran the ball 44 times and passed 18.  What sticks out to me is Beavers, Counts and Honaker account for only 11 touches/ targets combined. 

I should have went into detail a little more, but if any has watched Ridgeview the last two years they will (or should, with any football knowledge) understand what I meant. As good as 7 and 13 are, especially 7, the Qb will rarely, if ever look away from their side of the field. He will also throw into double and triple coverage to these two when there are two other receivers wide open. I know 7 is a really good receiver and can make the spectacular catch, and 13 can do the same, but there has to be a coach watching film that sees this. That is the forcing the ball that I am talking about. I love running the ball and I am very happy they are doing better in that facet this year, and I wasn't campaigning about some other player getting more touches. Get the f'n ball to someone who is open. Take the short throw and do something that isn't the sexy thing to do. The 4 receiver I was talking about is the one doing the things all players should do and being unselfish to help everyone else out, even though he is explosive with the ball. He knows he's not going to get a chance but he still plays hard anyway. The way it's supposed to be. 

25 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Most definitely favors Richlands but maybe not as much as Richlands would like.  I've watched the RV games this year and they run much more, and effectively, than people realize....about 67%.  I would consider it a bigger upset than GC/Union.  I think RV made a mistake not pushing for an earlier start.  If the game starts with little or no rain look for them to throw "while the powder is dry".  I think a steady rain is worth 10-14 points in Richlands' favor, but I still see a 14+ point win for the Pack in adverse conditions and 20+ points in "meh" conditions.  

I agree here. It would help more in a mud hole, but with turf not so much.

5 minutes ago, 70Chip said:

I should have went into detail a little more, but if any has watched Ridgeview the last two years they will (or should, with any football knowledge) understand what I meant. As good as 7 and 13 are, especially 7, the Qb will rarely, if ever look away from their side of the field. He will also throw into double and triple coverage to these two when there are two other receivers wide open. I know 7 is a really good receiver and can make the spectacular catch, and 13 can do the same, but there has to be a coach watching film that sees this. That is the forcing the ball that I am talking about. I love running the ball and I am very happy they are doing better in that facet this year, and I wasn't campaigning about some other player getting more touches. Get the f'n ball to someone who is open. Take the short throw and do something that isn't the sexy thing to do. The 4 receiver I was talking about is the one doing the things all players should do and being unselfish to help everyone else out, even though he is explosive with the ball. He knows he's not going to get a chance but he still plays hard anyway. The way it's supposed to be. 

They absolutely rely waaaaay too much on the deep ball and don't mind throwing into double coverage.  Seems we agree on that.  The QB really needs to work on looking off the safety or at least feigning the backside throw.  A backside post with a front side deep route to # 7 would be effective.  And, I think the whole board is in agreement that they should throw short and intermediate more often.  What you are referring to is the fact that the routes and throws seem to be pre-determined and there are no reads.  That is true.  They did try to throw backside to # 4 three times against Lee.  The truth is that RV isn't throwing that much....probably about 15-18 times a game and they have four WRs that every other team in the Region would love to have.  To quench all the thirst they'd have to throw around 25-30 times a game.

4 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Josh Shoemaker couldn’t have seen over ours lol. At the time, he was one of the tallest and best quarterbacks I had ever seen. Obviously, a great basketball player. I seem to remember him playing alongside Tim Duncan at Wake Forest.

Oh yeah I remember him he played around same time as Travis Turner played at Appy

5 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Shoemaker was a stud. He was a near miss playing with Duncan at Wake. Shoemaker was a freshmen at WF in 97-98, and Tim Duncan was a rookie in 97-98 in the NBA. Shoemaker also missed the 97 GC state title team led by Jake Houseright. Shoemaker would have been a freshmen at WF the year GC won the VHSL Div 3 state title.  I watched him play once in person at QB and it was freaky. At that time, the tallest QB I had ever seen play the game in person or on TV, and he was dam@ good too.

10 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the fog that always rolls in around halftime on the ridge.  This could definitely hamper RV's ability to throw the ball around.

12 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I guess since I steered this thread way off track with my musings, I will steer it a little toward the right track and at least direct it back to Ridgeview, and it’s predecessors. I don’t think the current states of each program warrant a prediction. 

Who is the best Clintwood/Haysi/Ervinton/Ridgeview player you have ever seen? My vote is either Justin Hamilton or Gavin? Meade.

I know you’re referring to football, but a lot of people forget about Trazel Silvers. 

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

I know you’re referring to football, but a lot of people forget about Trazel Silvers. 

This end of Va will never see the group of athletes ever that came thru in the 90s.  From Shoemaker Houseright Beasley at GC to Julius Thomas Josh Warren who went to Wake Forest and Zirkle at PV and Turner, Clark snd Mabe at Appy Sensabaugh at Norton and Hamilton at Clintwood.  I know I’m forgetting some but what a great decade of football for such a small area 

1 hour ago, Duke2015 said:

This end of Va will never see the group of athletes ever that came thru in the 90s.  From Shoemaker Houseright Beasley at GC to Julius Thomas Josh Warren who went to Wake Forest and Zirkle at PV and Turner, Clark snd Mabe at Appy Sensabaugh at Norton and Hamilton at Clintwood.  I know I’m forgetting some but what a great decade of football for such a small area 

Lets not forget about the guy who played at the end of the 90's up in Honaker. Heath (The Steeler) Miller! IMO he has been the best NFL carrier wise

I dont think the rain will be as big of a problem as people think. This game is going to be played on turf which eliminates a lot of the slipping and sliding that you usually see in rainy games. Yes the ball will be wet but as long as the ball are doing a good job with those towels that shouldnt be enough to give Richlands a chance. 

I personally think this game is already over just because of what is going on in Richlands locker room. This is a team sport and if your locker room is fractured to the point its being broadcasted on social media that is a major problem. If that doesnt get fixed then its going to be a long year for the blues. What makes it worst is problems like these dont just go away in November when the clock hits zero on that last game. I not pointing fingers at players, coaches, or parents but in the current state of the program even the worst Richlands team of the past 20 years would beat this one by 40

23 minutes ago, foosballer said:

Lets not forget about the guy who played at the end of the 90's up in Honaker. Heath (The Steeler) Miller! IMO he has been the best NFL carrier wise

Yeah forgot about him Graham and Richlands had some good ones too 

16 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I dont think the rain will be as big of a problem as people think. This game is going to be played on turf which eliminates a lot of the slipping and sliding that you usually see in rainy games. Yes the ball will be wet but as long as the ball are doing a good job with those towels that shouldnt be enough to give Richlands a chance. 

I personally think this game is already over just because of what is going on in Richlands locker room. This is a team sport and if your locker room is fractured to the point its being broadcasted on social media that is a major problem. If that doesnt get fixed then its going to be a long year for the blues. What makes it worst is problems like these dont just go away in November when the clock hits zero on that last game. I not pointing fingers at players, coaches, or parents but in the current state of the program even the worst Richlands team of the past 20 years would beat this one by 40

It’s gonna take a whole lot of going wrong for an upset here 

On 9/29/2022 at 8:43 PM, Smnzmom said:

I’m that kids mom.  That kid did ask multiple times to be switched to a different position after Richlands many failed attempts at recruiting.  He did just fine in the 7v7s.  And totall accurate I am that mom.  I’ll advocate 100% for my  kid.  You all are looking from the stands you don’t know the way those kids are bullied and treated on that team.  But that’s not a conversation you are willing to have