Tazewell @ Grundy

bulldog05-CO2017

Would say this is must win if Tazewell wants a round 1 home game in the playoffs.  The only 2 that I’d say are pretty much guaranteed that are Graham and Ridgeview. The other 2 will come down to Union, Va high, Central, Tazewell, and Gate City. 

Well, if this is at Nelson Field, I'm going to give the edge to Grundy if they can limit Harris.  Grundy has good size in the trenches and is a physical team and I think they are built to potentially give the Dawgs some fits.  I think this is a close game.

From what I’ve seen/heard Grundy is a physical team and could possibly give the Dawgs a run. Home field advantage for Grundy will surely help. I still think Tazewell’s offense is to much for the wave and the 4th quarter will be the difference for them. Tazewell by 12

Grundy is definitely very physical and could cause Tazewell issues on both sides of the ball.  Tazewell’s offense had some really good moments against the Riverheads. Creasy & McDonald are a very good QB/Receiver combo in addition to other offensive playmakers. Can Grundy defend the pass because Creasy with a game under his belt after being out for two weeks will only get better & click more with his receivers. Honestly, I thought Tazewell’s defense held up decent against a tough Riverheads offense too. I’d like to see Tazewell take this one but won’t be surprised if Grundy pulls it off. 

The dirty little secret about Tazewell is that they’re pretty darned good at stopping the run and a fairly sound defensive team overall.  Despite a 2-3 record, no team has topped 364 yards on Tazewell this season (and that was Riverheads, who ran 57 offensive plays to do it).  Graham (who passed for more yardage than they rushed) barely broke 300.

Grundy is playing some solid ball right now, and will be physical and aggressive trying to establish the run.  But Grundy is not Riverheads, not even close.  I just think Tazewell presents a unique matchup problem for the Golden Wave.  If Tazewell brings the same intensity as yesterday, Tazewell should win by a comfortable enough margin.  But will the intensity be there?  That’s on the team to decide.

22 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, if this is at Nelson Field, I'm going to give the edge to Grundy if they can limit Harris.  Grundy has good size in the trenches and is a physical team and I think they are built to potentially give the Dawgs some fits.  I think this is a close game.

If Grundy thinks Harris is all they have they are in for a rude awakening. I’m taking Tazewell by at least 14 giving the teams Grundy has beat wasn’t really much of a caliber. Yes, they hung with ridgeview, so so. But from what I hear Ridgeview wasn’t fully up to par in that matchup. I’m giving it to the dawgs, 35-21

10 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Tazwell wins by 21 and some thinks that means they’ll make a deep run. If you think Bears delusion, the Dawgs 10x worse

I can never truly figure out the Bulldogs. Do I see potential? Yes. Even when expectations are high, they can’t seem to crack the top tier of 2D. I think this result will prove the divide between 1D and 2D, and give a glimpse of Tazewell’s improvement. However, I see them as middle of the pack below Graham, Ridgeview, and Union. Possibly, on par with GC. 

Union’s loss to GC puzzles me. Could it be a Graham hangover, or are they not as good as previously thought?

Edited by tornado99
Added comment:

10 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Tazwell wins by 21 and some thinks that means they’ll make a deep run. If you think Bears delusion, the Dawgs 10x worse

Dogs have a good shot at this one with their stout run defense and being able to pass.  Just have to play smart and with intensity.  We are not delusional, we see what is there and is what is the possibility.  We should make the playoffs barring crazy things happening.  Depending on the matchup will determine a week 2 appearance.  

At least we knew where we stood with Graham.  Bears were so torn up over their game with Graham that they forgot to play against GC and lost one that they probably should have won.  So by logic I've seen mentioned before dictates that GC should be able to beat Graham 🤣

15 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I can never truly figure out the Bulldogs. Do I see potential? Yes. Even when expectations are high, they can’t seem to crack the top tier of 2D. I think this result will prove the divide between 1D and 2D, and give a glimpse of Tazewell’s improvement. However, I see them as middle of the pack below Graham, Ridgeview, and Union. Possibly, on par with GC. 

Union’s loss to GC puzzles me. Could it be a Graham hangover, or are they not as good as previously thought?

It was the penalties that affected the games so we didn't get to see the real team

7 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Some of the Union fans have said it’s a rebuilding year and it’s showing, the next couple years look good with the 5 or 6 freshman starting but it’s gonna be rough this year and next without a passing threat 

This is a matchup of a high floor, low ceiling team in Grundy vs a low floor, high ceiling team in Tazewell.  Grundy will test the Dawgs and will be the more physical team….playing at home definitely helps (get ready for a police check point on the drive in Dawg fans).  Tazewell has to avoid turnovers because Grundy wants to limit possessions and grind the clock down.  Also, be prepared for misdirection and off- tackle runs.  They won’t just pound it up the middle and they will take a few shots down field.  Against Ridgeview they played a two deep shell and spread the safeties on the hashes.  Should be able to run slants on that, especially with Harris.  RV made mistake of throwing into the strong coverage too frequently in the first half. Should be a good game.  

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

There are only a few Bulldog posters on here.  None of whom have any delusions of grandeur.  I'll continue to support my team.

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

There are only a few Bulldog posters on here.  None of whom have any delusions of grandeur.  I'll continue to support my team.

Some of the Tazwell faithful said they could win SWD and 2D this year preseason 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Quote the comments so we can see, but if they said “they could” then what’s wrong with that? Everyone in the SWD “could”, but not everyone will. Go dawgs!

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Know I sure didn't say that and don't remember any others saying that.  Everyone on here that I know was realistic about it.

As also said above, no harm in having hope that we have a shot and wanting to win it.  Lots of pride here with the Dogs.

17 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I'm pretty sure there was a comment or two after the Virginia High win in the Graham thread that Tazewell would win the district

Actually, this isn’t true at all. Go back and read the thread. Most Tazewell posters said they were hopeful they could keep it close but the only person that actually claimed a win for Tazewell was @GMan

https://www.swvasports.com/ipb/index.php?/topic/46023-graham-vs-tazewell/