Rye Cove@Lee High

VFL

8 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I just read online that Rye Cove has an 8th grader with an offer to EKU already. That’s amazing.  I’d love to see them win, but I think the streak ends at Five Star. 

I think hes in 9th now, not sure. He is a BIG kid. It will be interesting to see how he develops. I will say he doesn't look as impressive to me as Meadows was when he was young but he has a ton of potential.

Were about to find out how big the gap between 1A and 2A is in SWVA

15 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I just read online that Rye Cove has an 8th grader with an offer to EKU already. That’s amazing.  I’d love to see them win, but I think the streak ends at Five Star. 

6 hours ago, redtiger said:

I think hes in 9th now, not sure. He is a BIG kid. It will be interesting to see how he develops. I will say he doesn't look as impressive to me as Meadows was when he was young but he has a ton of potential.

Were about to find out how big the gap between 1A and 2A is in SWVA

He is in 8th. Big strong kid. Will need to work on speed as he develops.

I have to say, I think this game intrigues me more than any other this week. Was hoping it might be moved to Thursday, so I could watch it. Wondering how far RC has come since last year, and curious to see if they can be competitive with a 2A team. Will it be 42-28, 50-0 or 17-14??

I fully expect Lee to win, but happy to see RC having a great season.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

I have to say, I think this game intrigues me more than any other this week. Was hoping it might be moved to Thursday, so I could watch it. Wondering how far RC has come since last year, and curious to see if they can be competitive with a 2A team. Will it be 42-28, 50-0 or 17-14??

I fully expect Lee to win, but happy to see RC having a great season.

I Agree. Very intriguing game.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Good Lord!  An 8th grader with an offer already and man is he big.  That's outstanding!!!

EKU wanted to be known as the first. It’s amazing to me the schools who are following him already.

Very good kid who works hard. Hopefully he stays healthy because the sky is the limit for him. Watching him playing MS basketball last year was probably more entertaining than football. He was a force on the boards. 

13 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I hope he's another future D1 kid and NFL player from SWVA.  I love it when kids in SWVA get in the spotlight at an early age.  I'm going to be sure to keep an eye on Rye Cove over the next few years.  It's going to be fun watching him.

Some of the big Schools, probably from Tenn. will wind up with him, no way he stays at Rye Cove.

Union would be my guess. No need to run all the way to Tennessee when Union obviously provides enough exposure to get a kid to a big time program and beyond. 

I believe his family lives in Duffield so its a easy change 

I mean I understand he is only in 8th grade but some of the videos he posted on twitter were of him getting pushed around by kids half his size. His size will get him offers because you cant teach that but he has a long way to go. I hope he develops and improves but I honestly hate school "offering" a kid in 8th grade that is way too soon. I feel like most of those kids never make it to Saturdays. That kid just needs to focus on high school ball have some fun, hit the weight room, and improve his craft. 

Supposed to rain after kickoff. That may affect the passing game for both teams and will probably result in some fumbles. The Generals have the better back in Huff as far as I know of, but the Eagles have the option of running their QB as well. I don’t know what Rye coves line play consists of but I know Lee’s is relatively undersized and have struggled to create lanes at times against good D-Lines like RV and Union. I’m hoping the Generals will get out to a decent early lead and get the chance to open up their playbook so they can work on some things. Lee 48 Eagles 14 

On 9/29/2022 at 9:39 AM, redtiger said:

Union would be my guess. No need to run all the way to Tennessee when Union obviously provides enough exposure to get a kid to a big time program and beyond. 

I fail to see how Union can provide any more exposure than any other school in our area.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:39 AM, redtiger said:

Isn't Rye Cove in Duffield? Which is closer to Duffield, Gate City High or Union High. I know Duffield is in Scott County like Gate City, but which driving time is closer, or is it roughly the same?

36 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Isn't Rye Cove in Duffield? Which is closer to Duffield, Gate City High or Union High. I know Duffield is in Scott County like Gate City, but which driving time is closer, or is it roughly the same?

It’s about 5 min closer to BSG than GC. 

5 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I fail to see how Union can provide any more exposure than any other school in our area.

I had a long response typed out that I lost, it all boils down to competition and talent produced. Union plays big games vs tough competition and has 3 players currently in NCAA Division II or higher and one in the NFL that all came through the program in the past 5 years. The Cumberland District as a whole has no one playing in college and to my knowledge hasn't sent a player to Division II or higher in at least the past 2 decades. 

How will this kid perform on the field vs good competition? If he stays at Rye Cove a recruiter will never know until they get him on campus. At Union he will play against good competition in the M7, not to mention non-conference games against good SWD teams and from what I hear big time NET teams.