Offensive schemes

tornado99

It seems like Union runs everything. The problem with that is there's no offensive identity. They switch back and forth and I don't think it allows the players to settle in.

The T is the only scheme they run that they look comfortable in.

For this year's personnel, it doesn't allow the more athletic kids to get in space and use their ability to make plays. The opposing Ds are just loading up the box and throwing bodies at them, overwhelming the line, limiting blocking schemes, and not allowing the backs to get started. Due to the lack of a passing threat, they get away with it.

I remember a lot of different offenses growing up that have come and gone. I just wonder if the old ways would work today as a counter culture to the spread. Talent and ability vary from town to town. I’ve always been fascinated by the ins and outs. In my youth, before the spread became widespread it seemed almost every school had a particular identity. For example, Graham ran wishbone, Richlands ran I formation or split veer, Tazewell mixed I and/or some T formation, Giles continues to run single wing, and the smaller schools ran Wing T.

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

It seems like Union runs everything. The problem with that is there's no offensive identity. They switch back and forth and I don't think it allows the players to settle in.

The T is the only scheme they run that they look comfortable in.

For this year's personnel, it doesn't allow the more athletic kids to get in space and use their ability to make plays. The opposing Ds are just loading up the box and throwing bodies at them, overwhelming the line, limiting blocking schemes, and not allowing the backs to get started. Due to the lack of a passing threat, they get away with it.

Maybe you should be helping coach there’s only 30 of them now lol

4 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Maybe you should be helping coach there’s only 30 of them now lol

Guess one more wouldn't hurt, huh? Haha

I'm too old school. I'd be teaching the linemen to hit the D in the chin with their forearm. I would imagine that would illicit some penalties these days.

13 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Guess one more wouldn't hurt, huh? Haha

I'm too old school. I'd be teaching the linemen to hit the D in the chin with their forearm. I would imagine that would illicit some penalties these days.

Old school coaches are a rare breed these days. Kids are too soft (not all kids) for that type of coaching. 

Comes down to heart, that's never gonna change.  You can't fake tough or overlook the intangible skills of blocking and tackling at full speed.  We never had a doughnut to tackle and we lived on a sled weekly.  So to answer, yes the power I, bone,  T, wing t, all that still effective. Bits and pieces of those have been cut up and exist as parts of modern offenses. 

Wing T and conventional Double Wing. 

Advantage- ball control and does not require a bunch of athletes to be successful 

Disadvantage- hard to come back if you fall behind

Some local teams are running the Double Wing Pistol which is similar with a couple of variations that lend to a more athletic team 

7 hours ago, tornado99 said:

What offensive scheme does your team run? Advantages? Disadvantages? 

Do I really need to clarify what scheme my team runs? That's a given.  Biggest thing with any run oriented offense is.....the Joe's up front. If you have em, you will likely run it well. If you don't, you are not going to run it well.  Only my opinion and there's far more complex and intricate facets of single wing ball, but all offenses, especially run oriented ones, start with the bigs up front.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Comes down to heart, that's never gonna change.  You can't fake tough or overlook the intangible skills of blocking and tackling at full speed.  We never had a doughnut to tackle and we lived on a sled weekly.  So to answer, yes the power I, bone,  T, wing t, all that still effective. Bits and pieces of those have been cut up and exist as parts of modern offenses. 

I’d like to think so. If you don’t have a lot of speed, these things make up for it. This makes me wonder why more won’t do so today.

Because of the silly climate of everything today. The misconception that spread doesn't mean physical but finesse. With the popularity/appeal of spread offenses getting more athletes on the field that wouldn't be included in a full house formation.   Would love to see more of school with play action, maybe even some true option instead of this rpo garb. But hey,  I have informed every coach I've saw that it would be simpler if they only called touchdown plays on offense and pick 6s and qb sacks on defense.  Bahahaha 

@RedPrideNation I'm a big fan of what Riverheads does offensively. Old school offense that threatens every gap up front and every zone is the passing game with relatively few plays so that the players get really good at what they're doing.

Old school offenses still work; Union in the T is a force, Central has been Wing-T for a few years(more Wing-T shotgun this season), Abingdon has been primarily a I-Formation team for several years now,  a few years ago Lebanon was struggling and went Power-I with some success, Twin Springs has been a I-Formation teams for a few years now. The move away from "spread" offenses is already happening, TEs and Wings are becoming the norm with fewer WRs, most are just in Shotgun now.

Ridgeview Summer 2022...

Son and WR coach play Madden 2018

Son to dad "New idea for an offense", Dad "run it"

Fall 2022...

Son and WR coach to QB, run this and don't deviate...

Ridgeview... spread formation. 7 and 13 twins left, 5 and whoever twins right. QB cadence, snap ball, QB look left. Continue to look left, continue to look left. 5 and whoever stand wide open  and continue to be wide open, wave arms. QB look left, throw fade or streak to 7, hook to 13 while being triple coveraged. Defense, intercept ball/knock ball down. 

Coaches... "We'll get 'em next time"

Dad/s... "That 7/13 needs to touch the ball more"

On 10/1/2022 at 10:42 PM, 70Chip said:

Ridgeview Summer 2022...

Son and WR coach play Madden 2018

Son to dad "New idea for an offense", Dad "run it"

Fall 2022...

Son and WR coach to QB, run this and don't deviate...

Ridgeview... spread formation. 7 and 13 twins left, 5 and whoever twins right. QB cadence, snap ball, QB look left. Continue to look left, continue to look left. 5 and whoever stand wide open  and continue to be wide open, wave arms. QB look left, throw fade or streak to 7, hook to 13 while being triple coveraged. Defense, intercept ball/knock ball down. 

Coaches... "We'll get 'em next time"

Dad/s... "That 7/13 needs to touch the ball more"

It is VERY obvious where the ball is going when the ball is snapped.  Eyes go straight to the intended receiver and never come off.  The interception that was thrown Friday night was thrown into triple coverage with two receivers standing wide open.  If RV will ever learn to look off a safety or go through progressions in the passing game they will be even more deadly.

I would think most coaches mold their play-calling but not necessarily formations/schemes around their talent. I think one of the only teams that I have witnessed successfully change mid stream was Essex a few years ago. They were running a lot of spread and trying to toss it around then ended up in various forms of Wing and ran mostly power in the playoffs. IMO every formation has the variability to put a defense at jeopardy via run or pass. While certain  formations lend itself to specific types of offense more, one could argue that the there are a ton of teams that come out in spread formation in order to run inside. 

And to answer the youth part of the question, I don’t think it matters much to be honest until they play the last age group before JV. Then they need some of the concepts of the offense that the HS runs but still probably can’t execute it correctly. I laugh when I see 6-7th grade teams with huge splits running spread and only one kid that can actually catch a football. The other factor is the kids that don’t play youth football or the ones that develop later on. It’s a slippery slope in one sense to pigeon hole a kid when they are just leaving elementary school and “build” a team around them. A scenario like that can impact the number and quality of player that comes out when it starts to matter more in HS. Everyone here has seen it happen and about all have 4-6 players walking the halls that won’t come out because of the crappy experience they had as a youth player. 

Just my .02

4 hours ago, Observer said:

It is VERY obvious where the ball is going when the ball is snapped.  Eyes go straight to the intended receiver and never come off.  The interception that was thrown Friday night was thrown into triple coverage with two receivers standing wide open.  If RV will ever learn to look off a safety or go through progressions in the passing game they will be even more deadly.

But…but…he’s the best QB in SWVA!  

/sarcasm

Gotta start kids early running something similar to what the Varsity does imo. If the Varsity HC is a Spread guy that likes to throw it around then the youth teams need to throw the ball some, doesn't have to be 30 times a game but they need to throw the ball. If the Varsity is a Wing-T based offense, including those running Pin 'n Pull type blocking schemes, then the youth teams need to be pulling linemen.  Doesn't need to be a carbon copy, and of course they should set up their schemes/plays to make the most of the talent they have; if they have a stud RB then focus on him, if they have a QB that can do a lot of things then go shotgun more, etc.

Kids cant show up to JV having only ran Double Tights Wishbone. I know at Haysi the youth weren't allowed to run 3 back sets because the Varsity in all likelihood wasn't gonna run a 3 back set(at least not as a primary set) and passing was encouraged.