Offensive schemes

tornado99

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

Gotta start kids early running something similar to what the Varsity does imo. If the Varsity HC is a Spread guy that likes to throw it around then the youth teams need to throw the ball some, doesn't have to be 30 times a game but they need to throw the ball. If the Varsity is a Wing-T based offense, including those running Pin 'n Pull type blocking schemes, then the youth teams need to be pulling linemen.  Doesn't need to be a carbon copy, and of course they should set up their schemes/plays to make the most of the talent they have; if they have a stud RB then focus on him, if they have a QB that can do a lot of things then go shotgun more, etc.

Kids cant show up to JV having only ran Double Tights Wishbone. I know at Haysi the youth weren't allowed to run 3 back sets because the Varsity in all likelihood wasn't gonna run a 3 back set(at least not as a primary set) and passing was encouraged.   

Can't do that with Daddy Ball coaches.  Today's little league are rife with player's parents who coach only for the duration their kids are on the team.  These are almost ALWAYS the skill position players' parents who coach.  Thus, they implement an offense that highlights their child's abilities.  So..the offense is always changing.  Times have changed.  My little league coach ran our team for almost two decades....didn't have kids on the team and we were a very tough team to play against.  If I was a head coach I would absolutely take charge of the youth leagues and "get them on the same page" and make sure they were at least using the same lingo and basic formations as the high school.   

28 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Just save your breathe.  I'll go ahead and say it.....UVAObserver is an argumentative asshat.  Just agree to disagree with the guy.  He is the reason half the board now pulls against Tazewell.  

I don’t ever recall pissing in your Cheerios, Ms. O’Quinn, but I find that I make water more frequently as I get older.  

I’m sorry for stating that Carter Creasy is objectively superior to Ryan O’Quinn.  I’m sorry for presuming that anyone who has (1) the visual acuity to watch game film and (2) a basic knowledge of football would reach that conclusion.  I’m sorry that fantasizing that any player from the SWD could come close to unmistakable, sheer brilliance of a M7 player.  I’m sorry that some people are delusional enough to cheer against an entire team because 1 person occasionally makes such ridiculous takes as I’ve outlined in this post.  I’ll try to use better discretion in the future.

37 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Just save your breathe.  I'll go ahead and say it.....UVAObserver is an argumentative asshat.  Just agree to disagree with the guy.  He is the reason half the board now pulls against Tazewell.  

Is he the type to yell out "HOLD" on every play when his team is on defense and "Pass Interference" when they're on offense?

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I don’t ever recall pissing in your Cheerios, Ms. O’Quinn, but I find that I make water more frequently as I get older.  

I’m sorry for stating that Carter Creasy is objectively superior to Ryan O’Quinn.  I’m sorry for presuming that anyone who has (1) the visual acuity to watch game film and (2) a basic knowledge of football would reach that conclusion.  I’m sorry that fantasizing that any player from the SWD could come close to unmistakable, sheer brilliance of a M7 player.  I’m sorry that some people are delusional enough to cheer against an entire team because 1 person occasionally makes such ridiculous takes as I’ve outlined in this post.  I’ll try to use better discretion in the future.

That's the funniest post you've ever made. Bravo. Objectively superior lololol, that's a home run of a post right there. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with M7/SWD, it's your weird obsession with Tazwell that causes you to be unable to be objective whatsoever. 

I honestly believe you think there's this massive conspiracy from everyone outside of Tazwell to put O'Quinn on a higher level than Creasy for some reason. That simply isn't true. I'm sure you're aware of Occam's razor, that's the reality here. I don't hate Tazwell, I don't love Ridgeview, but having seen O'Quinn in person a few times plus going back to watch most games played by both, it's clear to me which is the better QB. He has a higher ceiling, he throws an extremely accurate deep ball, is a physical runner with a strong arm. His weaknesses are all coachable, not physical. 

6 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Can't do that with Daddy Ball coaches.  Today's little league are rife with player's parents who coach only for the duration their kids are on the team.  These are almost ALWAYS the skill position players' parents who coach.  Thus, they implement an offense that highlights their child's abilities.  So..the offense is always changing.  Times have changed.  My little league coach ran our team for almost two decades....didn't have kids on the team and we were a very tough team to play against.  If I was a head coach I would absolutely take charge of the youth leagues and "get them on the same page" and make sure they were at least using the same lingo and basic formations as the high school.   

This is a change that I have really noticed not only in the last 20 years when I coached before having my own, but going back to my own little league days. My coaches all were younger guys and I remember the same holes and terminology all the way through high school. Even though Richlands doesn’t use it now, I can still remember all the formations and plays. Thanks for bringing up this point.

53 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

To UVAObserver and BigWinners points above, I hope we can see them matchup in the same game before they graduate.

It would def be interesting. I think RV is a better overall team this year but they are the two best QBs in their respective conferences thay like to sling it. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It would def be interesting. I think RV is a better overall team this year but they are the two best QBs in their respective conferences thay like to sling it. 

Maybe they’ll meet in the playoffs; I agree both are the best in their respective districts. 

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

Maybe they’ll meet in the playoffs; I agree both are the best in their respective districts. 

That could very well happen. A 2 v 7 matchup  is def a possibility. I’m assuming Graham wins out and gets the 1 and RV wins out and gets the 2, or it could be flipped I dunno how the points stand. 

8 hours ago, tornado99 said:

To UVAObserver and BigWinners points above, I hope we can see them matchup in the same game before they graduate.

Very good chance Union/Tazewell is the 4-5 game this season, if results hold like I think they will.  Not sure if Ridgeview will outpoint Graham to win the 1.  

I will say, as a sneak peek, Ridgeview/Tazewell will meet the next two seasons as it stands now.

Old school offenses do work in high school. But there’s a reason you don’t see many past that. Most high school teams don’t have the athletes or the discipline to effectively stop some of the older offenses. Look at Riverheads for example. A defense has to be really disciplined to stop that. One guy misses his gap and they are gone. That’s the whole idea. They are threatening every gap on a play plus they are pulling so many players they are adding gaps to that side. Hard for small high schools to stop that with most playing Freshman and Sophmores. 

47 minutes ago, Andersonj829 said:

Old school offenses do work in high school. But there’s a reason you don’t see many past that. Most high school teams don’t have the athletes or the discipline to effectively stop some of the older offenses. Look at Riverheads for example. A defense has to be really disciplined to stop that. One guy misses his gap and they are gone. That’s the whole idea. They are threatening every gap on a play plus they are pulling so many players they are adding gaps to that side. Hard for small high schools to stop that with most playing Freshman and Sophmores. 

Another benefit of those old school offenses, especially as it relates to small schools, they rarely need a true QB to be effective. The most important role Riverheads QB plays within the confines of their system is lead blocker. Sure, he facilitates the offense but he isn't relied upon to make the offense go in the same way as a spread QB. 

The best teams Carroll County ever put on the field tried to mirror what Giles does offensively. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

15 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Bro, add a little more age and a "parky bladder" that loves to stiffen up just like my feet occasionally do, and you will learn what the true art of pissing like the falls at Pembroke are all about! 

1 hour ago, Andersonj829 said:

Absolute SPOT ON in my opinion. I agree with every word your wrote.  What you wrote seems intuitive and simple in concept, but in a live game/on the field, it's incredibly difficult to deal with because of the discipline required.  Similar for the teams that loved to trap. I remember old Graham and old Pulaski teams that loved those trap plays. Must have been something in the upbringing in the coal fields for those coaches. The old Big Creek High would trap the shi$ out of you. It was either Pulaski or Graham thst called it, '22 crossbuck trap." The current Graham head coach if I recall correctly, housed one on us in 1989 in the region title game on a counter/trap play.

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Absolute SPOT ON in my opinion. I agree with every word your wrote.  What you wrote seems intuitive and simple in concept, but in a live game/on the field, it's incredibly difficult to deal with because of the discipline required.  Similar for the teams that loved to trap. I remember old Graham and old Pulaski teams that loved those trap plays. Must have been something in the upbringing in the coal fields for those coaches. The old Big Creek High would trap the shi$ out of you. It was either Pulaski or Graham thst called it, '22 crossbuck trap." The current Graham head coach if I recall correctly, housed one on us in 1989 in the region title game on a counter/trap play.

Those offenses tend to not work at higher classifications as those schools have dominate and athletic defensive linemen.  An athletic, skilled, large DL blows those plays up.  Athletic LBs and zone/run blitz to blow up gaps and good DBs provide seriously quick corner/edge run support.  The talent rich states (TX, FL, GA, CA) run college level offenses at the 4,5,6 A level.  The "old offenses" are mostly relegated to "rural" team and 1, 2A classfications.

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That's the funniest post you've ever made. Bravo. Objectively superior lololol, that's a home run of a post right there. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with M7/SWD, it's your weird obsession with Tazwell that causes you to be unable to be objective whatsoever. 

I honestly believe you think there's this massive conspiracy from everyone outside of Tazwell to put O'Quinn on a higher level than Creasy for some reason. That simply isn't true. I'm sure you're aware of Occam's razor, that's the reality here. I don't hate Tazwell, I don't love Ridgeview, but having seen O'Quinn in person a few times plus going back to watch most games played by both, it's clear to me which is the better QB. He has a higher ceiling, he throws an extremely accurate deep ball, is a physical runner with a strong arm. His weaknesses are all coachable, not physical. 

Creasy isn't the best QB in his district!!!  Has a ton of potential, but doesn't match O'Quiin or Jones from VA High.  The next two years will be when he will have to shine for Tazewell!!

4 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Creasy isn't the best QB in his district!!!  Has a ton of potential, but doesn't match O'Quiin or Jones from VA High.  The next two years will be when he will have to shine for Tazewell!!

You have a very valid point with Jones.  If he would have received some serious coaching at the key ages of 12-16 he’d be a legit QB prospect!

1 minute ago, SwvaOG said:

You have a very valid point with Jones.  If he would have received some serious coaching at the key ages of 12-16 he’d be a legit QB prospect!

His best football is in front of him for sure.  He didn't play football until the 9th grade.  

51 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Jones has the highest athletic ceiling of them all, but best QB he’s not.  Most QBs now have an idea that they will be QBs by the time they’re 12.

10 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Jones has the highest athletic ceiling of them all, but best QB he’s not.  Most QBs now have an idea that they will be QBs by the time they’re 12.

He is the best QB in the SWD and most coaches would agree!  Wait and see what happens at the end of the year!