Union @ Ridgeview

TaterHater

I agree.  People don’t understand how shaky the play calling is….. specifically passing game. The run game is much better this year but the QB already has more interceptions than last year….. most of that is poor play design and play calling.  Some of it is being careless with the ball. This is an opportunity for the coaches to show their stuff.  We will see Friday night. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I agree.  People don’t understand how shaky the play calling is….. specifically passing game. The run game is much better this year but the QB already has more interceptions than last year….. most of that is poor play design and play calling.  Some of it is being careless with the ball. This is an opportunity for the coaches to show their stuff.  We will see Friday night. 

When Rv got the short passing game going last year, Union couldn’t stop them. Problem was that was in the 2nd half and RV’s defense couldn’t get Union off the field. If they don’t spot Union a14 point lead like last year, I think they will win by about 7-14 points.  Thing about RV, is they have a Golden State quality to them. They can score in a hurry. 
But I agree, the offense needs a lot more patience.  Short passes, and let the receivers work. 

Is RV better than the GMEN on the line——NO No No, do they have a better QB and receivers ?yes but overall the GMEN are better, and Union came close to getting the the W . Union will play keep away and hope for wet foggy weather on the ridge.

Not sure what to think about this one as I don't follow Ridgeview weekly anymore like I used to when I covered them.

I am glad Dobyns-Bennett chose this week to be their bye, as I will make the trek to the Ridge for the first time in many years Friday night.  Definitely looking forward to it for sure.  I think it's a fantastic game.

If Union can control the clock, eliminate the turnovers I think this game can be close!  If Union gives up a couple of big plays early and gets behind, then it will be a long night for the Bears. They just don't have the quick score offense like they have had in the past.

I think the biggest concern for the Bears is in the secondary this week, not because the kids aren't good athletes, because of the youth of this team. Can they stay focused, and be disciplined to play their assignments??? If they can, and get some pressure on the QB, I can see this game being a great battle on the Ridge.....................and GOOD LORD, can we get some discipline on this team, and eliminate the stupid personal foul penalties that we seem to get 3 or 4 of each game. I've seen numerous personal foul penalties called on the same couple of kids this year, and nothing is said or done to them! If the can't control their attitude and actions on the field, WIN OR LOSE, pull them off the field and find them a nice little spot on the bench and let them sit for awhile. Let them think about it, and let them realize this game is about a team, and not one person, and to quit being selfish and hurting your team because you got your feelings hurt, or because you just got your @$$ beat on the last play!  

Big game for both teams and a big measuring stick.

1) Will RV continue to be a tough run stopping team? It is no secret that Union will try to eat the clock and Limit RVs opportunities, Union has been a big play running team this season so at this point so 3 yards and a cloud of rubber pellets are alottle new to this years team (That being said I am sure that there coach will have them ready to go)

2) Will Union drop more into coverage or bring extra pass rushers and try to play man? More to the point will Union play there base personnel running 6 or 7 in the Box will get Unions secondary killed this week One think RV does well is run multiple formations with there same personnel so it is tougher for teams to adjust personnel based on formation 

3) What is the weather looking like this Friday? Rain and Wind may change the dynamics of this game

1 hour ago, Packman said:

Sometimes after watching Ridgeview play this year I believe O’Quinn could call the plays and do better with some of the plays that have been run on offense. 

Bet your check on it.  I think we are seeing him running more because he's not feeling the passing game.  

Just now, SwvaOG said:

Bet your check on it.  I think we are seeing him running more because he's not feeling the passing game.  

I think he's running more because the pass plays are designed to go to one particular receiver and coverage of that means he has to take off.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

I think he's running more because the pass plays are designed to go to one particular receiver and coverage of that means he has to take off.

They’re crazy if they try to get it to one specific receiver or even two.   Most defenses are going to double 7 and 13. Yet we keep throwing into double and triple coverage so maybe you’re right.  

2 hours ago, Packman said:

Sometimes after watching Ridgeview play this year I believe O’Quinn could call the plays and do better with some of the plays that have been run on offense. 

Absolutely not a doubt in my mind he could.   I could spin a wheel and do better than son stanley.  

12 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Union will run whatever defense is least effective against whatever offense Ridgeview is running. That's been the pattern the last couple of years at least.

Outside of that, it is really difficult to say what version of the Bears shows up. Never know from one game to the next.

They did that last year and RV failed to identify and take advantage of it.  They left the middle of the field wide open and RV threw, wait for it, zero slants and posts.  We see your incompetence and raise you one.  😂 

This season is a different issue……just no rhyme or reason to the passing attack.  It’s random AF.  If you understand passing you’ll notice there are no concepts.  Against Richlands, a called deep corner route with no underneath check down route led to an interception into triple coverage.  Play design isn’t setting QB up for success.  Asking him to consistently make low percentage throws.  A lot of RV faithful not happy that OC reigns turned over to a Coach with no high school OC experience at all.  Alot of figuring it out as we go.

36 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

This season is a different issue……just no rhyme or reason to the passing attack.  It’s random AF.  If you understand passing you’ll notice there are no concepts.  Against Richlands, a called deep corner route with no underneath check down route led to an interception into triple coverage.  Play design isn’t setting QB up for success.  Asking him to consistently make low percentage throws.  A lot of RV faithful not happy that OC reigns turned over to a Coach with no high school OC experience at all.  Alot of figuring it out as we go.

Completely agree.  On the INT into triple coverage you could tell by watching at the snap where the ball was going because none of the other receivers were even running routes.  That's why the corner and two safeties were able to get to the ball so quickly.  

12 minutes ago, 70Chip said:

There actually was an underneath receiver on the interception against Richlands, and he was the one that got the blame for the pick

Yep...I missed him...very bottom of the camera.....#11.  Wide open....now how would he have been blamed for the interception?

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

They did that last year and RV failed to identify and take advantage of it.  They left the middle of the field wide open and RV threw, wait for it, zero slants and posts.  We see your incompetence and raise you one.  😂 

If it's like most HSs, the QB is told which receiver to throw it to before they break the huddle. No analysis of D formation, no reads, no check downs. Just throw it to this kid or take off running.

41 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Yep...I missed him...very bottom of the camera.....#11.  Wide open....now how would he have been blamed for the interception?

11 might have been open underneath but you could tell by his body language off the ball, as well as the other receivers, that the ball was going deep no matter what.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

It’s really kind of embarrassing.  So many coaches would give their right kahuna for a team like this and we are allowing egos of coaches ruin this opportunity for the kids.  I often wonder what the other coaches on the staff think about how things are going.  

Wonder if rv could give their offensive coordinator and union give their defensive coordinator to say Graham. Both teams would excel tremendously according to all of us myself including. But seriously The Pack will win this 1 big all jokes aside. Turner and his bears are not big game ready.