Greatest game(s) you’ve seen in person

UnionGuy2017

This was a thing of debate between a group of friends and I tonight and thought it would make an interesting thread here on the board. in no particular order: 

2007 Burton Vs Clintwood playoff game

2010 PV @ Appalachia (final game)

2014 Lee @ Union

2014 Richlands @ Gate City playoffs

2015 Richlands at Union

2017 Appomattox @ Union 

1987 Richlands-Virginia High playoffs

2013 Richlands-Virginia High playoffs

2014 Richlands-Gate City playoffs

1992-Richlands-Salem playoffs

1996? Grundy-Salem playoffs at Tazewell 

2002? Gate City-George Wythe playoffs

2008 Richlands-Tazewell playoffs

2007 Richlands-Brookville playoffs

2012 Honaker-Sussex Central playoffs 

2000 or 2001? Honaker-Clintwood playoffs 

I know it’s a lot, but I have been fortunate to see some good ones. I limited to playoffs due to higher stakes.

Best game in person (regular season) 1997- (9-0) Powell Valley beat (9-0) Appy 20-14 Lonesome Pine District Championship at Bullitt Park.  PV had Julies Jones and Matt McCoy. Appy had Travis Turner, Travis Clark, and Jamie Jessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfdBTJ9EykU

The Greatest Game also gave us the Greatest Fan, "The Running Man" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC3FMYmbSQA

Galax @ Haysi 2014 - back and forth game between a passing Offense and a rushing Offense. Haysi scores late in the game an Colley has to decide to kick the xp and tie or or go for 2 and win, there was no decision. Colley went for 2 and the Tigers came out on top over the Maroon Tide for the second season in a row.

Appomattox @ Union - 2 great teams in a tight game. 

Powell Valley @ Haysi 2005 - Only Tiger Region Champs game I ever saw. Wasn't the best PV team but Haysi was the underdog and won on a last second FG. 

It was 1999 (I was a Sophomore at JJ Kelly at the time) PV came to JJ Kelly riding a 34 game win streak. JJ Kelly was a team who had been the laughing stock of the LPD for years leading up to that game.  The Indians were much improved going into the game but were picked to lose like 50 to 0. The Indians shocked the VHSL that night. Jumping out to a 13 to 0 lead at the half and holding on to win 19 to 14 in a classic all time upset. It's hard to believe that was 23 years ago, and again teams from Wise and BSG are getting ready to play as I am posting this. Here is the game in its entirety.

My List.

1989 Gate City vs. Sullivan North. North was ahead 14-0 with a little under 5:00 minutes to play and GC scored two touchdowns and a 2 pt. conversion to steal at win in Bloomingdale! Took my future wife to her first GC game here too! 33 years and she is still around.

2010 Appalachia vs. Powell Valley. They always played on GC's bye week and me and my boys always went to watch, what a game! Genuine hate for each other and total respect for the game of football!

2014 Gate City vs. Richlands in the playoffs. When it was over all the fans from both teams just stood there staring at each other after witnessing what they had saw! Never been at a game that good and didn't leave mad or upset just a pure classic!

And number 1 on my list. Jefferson Forrest vs. Gate City in the 1997 State Semi-Final. The miracle FG! I was in the stands and began to hum the song "There Will Be Miracles" from the movie Price Of Egypt as the FG cleared the crossbar by inches and the  upright by a foot!

The next week was academic in the State Championship against Broadway!

Honorable Mention. The 1994 Gate City at William Campbell state semi-final.   

No particular order.

88 Rye Cove @ Jonesville 

87 Pennington @ Rye Cove

88 Twin Springs @ Rye Cove playoff game

88 Jonesville @ Rye Cove Regional Final

94 Twin Springs @ Rye Cove District Title game that went to OT

99 JJ Kelly @ Rye Cove Double OT

99 Clintwood @ Honaker Regional Final

97 Jefferson Forest  @ Gate City  State Semi

03 Radford @ Gate City State Semi

95 Giles @ Powell Valley State Semi

Theres a couple more I should probably add but cant think off of the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Pioneer said:

It was 1999 (I was a Sophomore at JJ Kelly at the time) PV came to JJ Kelly riding a 34 game win streak. JJ Kelly was a team who had been the laughing stock of the LPD for years leading up to that game.  The Indians were much improved going into the game but were picked to lose like 50 to 0. The Indians shocked the VHSL that night. Jumping out to a 13 to 0 lead at the half and holding on to win 19 to 14 in a classic all time upset. It's hard to believe that was 23 years ago, and again teams from Wise and BSG are getting ready to play as I am posting this. Here is the game in its entirety.

I missed most of what was truly the game of the night that night to catch the second half of this one as it was only 10 more miles up the road....

The game of the night that night was Haysi at Pound.  I left in the second quarter after we got down 28-0 to the Wildcats after the PA announcer announced the Kelly and PV score.  Went and caught the second half at Kelly, came back through Pound to see cars still lining up 83 in front of the high school and thought... "Wait!  This game isn't over yet?!"  I pulled into the Pound parking lot, got up to the fence just in time to see us score the game tying TD late in regulation.  Haysi won in overtime 34-28.  Thankfully that game has been preserved on YouTube after all these years.

That's not the best game I have ever witnessed though...

1993 Haysi 14, Powell Valley 12 Region D championship game would be the winner.  Blaine Hackney's 99 yard punt return winner very late in the game through the mud and muck will forever be the greatest play in Haysi history.  The two point conversion against Galax 2014 is close, but to have witnessed Blaine's miraculous return and stumbling the final five yards in the slippery stuff is the stuff of legends.

Other gems I have witnessed:

• 2014 Haysi-Galax already talked about
  • 2022 Patrick Henry-Rural Retreat -- just a week ago so fresh in the mind.  Loved everything about this game.  Wild shootout settled in overtime.
  • 2022 Greeneville-Dobyns Bennett -- also fresh, but Tribe come from behind to almost knock off the #1 Greene Devils, similar to Haysi-Galax 2014, Indians score with 18 seconds left and go for two and the win, but come up one yard short
  • 2005 Haysi-Powell Valley -- redtiger already touched on that one
  • 2013 and 2014 Haysi-Honaker -- not really great games per se, but how many times do you see the state's top two ranked teams play each other
  • 2015 Galax-Riverheads -- State title game also decided by a two point try that was unsuccessful by the Gladiators

I'm sure there's others... but since the memory bank has never been wiped clean of that 1993 Haysi-PV game, it stands as my favorite of all time.

1995 Grundy v Richlands Playoff. Grundy went 80 something yards with about 1:10 left and threw a walk off TD as time expired to spur their first run to the state semis. 

Someone mentioned the 1996 Grundy v Salem state semi. being a great game but I just remember being so cold and so drenched. 6-0 played at Tazewell when it was R4's turn to host that semi and Salem didn't want to make the full trip. I'd love to find that one on Youtube.

Mine in chronological order:

1979  Richlands 3, John Battle 0.  Other than being a defensive slug fest (which I tend to enjoy), this ended a four game skid and turned things around to produce a 6-4 record in Coach Heldreth's first season.

1981  Graham 6, Tazewell 3.  The "Snow Bowl" at Mitchell Stadium for the Region IV championship.

1987  Richlands 7, Gate City 0.  Donnie Hess filled in at QB in this one, which was probably essential to Richlands qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.  (And did I mention that I like defense?)

2005  Richlands 23, Liberty(Bedford) 20.  State semifinal game between two very evenly matched teams.  If LHS had converted FG attempt late in the game, it likely would have gone into overtime and become extremely interesting.

2011 Clintwood Galax State Championship Game.  Galax jumped put to 14-0 lead then Clintwood scored the next 33 points and had to knock a pass down in the end zone on last play of the game to win last State Championship in School History.