Greatest game(s) you’ve seen in person

UnionGuy2017

On 10/13/2022 at 3:03 PM, Observer said:

2006 Clintwood and GC.  Game went to OT with Clintwood stopping Tihlee Anderson at the goal line on 4th down for the win.

Clintwood and GC played a few classics from them till 2010 when the GC program went downhill a bit. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Just like Ridgeview later on under Rick Mullins... Lol

Why would Rick have changed the way he called plays? He only had a few losing seasons out of nearly 20. He got the RV foundation built. Plus he made 3 state final appearances winning 1 of them. Rick Mullins and James Colley are 2 that don’t seem to get the recognition they deserve for what they did in the county.

Coach Mullins became more predictable as his career went on: less misdirection, more downhill. Not saying it wasn't successful but it became more predictable, especially the wildly predictable TB Draw on 3rd downs.

2 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Why would Rick have changed the way he called plays? He only had a few losing seasons out of nearly 20. He got the RV foundation built. Plus he made 3 state final appearances winning 1 of them. Rick Mullins and James Colley are 2 that don’t seem to get the recognition they deserve for what they did in the county.

The first couple of years of Ridgeview football, they should have went further than they did... notably the year they lost to Grayson County in the first round of the playoffs.  Not saying they should have got past Giles in year 1, but they shouldn't have been playing them in the first place if they took care of some of the games in the regular season that they shouldn't have lost that year.

Tiller was probably the best coach they have had and they ran him off as well as Edwards.  Mullins' offense works in 1A ball, which is why it was successful at Clintwood.  In 2A you need to mix it up a bit.  He never adapted.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The first couple of years of Ridgeview football, they should have went further than they did... notably the year they lost to Grayson County in the first round of the playoffs.  Not saying they should have got past Giles in year 1, but they shouldn't have been playing them in the first place if they took care of some of the games in the regular season that they shouldn't have lost that year.

Tiller was probably the best coach they have had and they ran him off as well as Edwards.  Mullins' offense works in 1A ball, which is why it was successful at Clintwood.  In 2A you need to mix it up a bit.  He never adapted.

The first year did have some injuries that hurt. Especially in the first game against Jenkins. Which was a horrible scheduling job. I agree that Mullins lost his fast ball the last few years. The Richlands playoff game was a bad loss, so was Grayson County. I tend to cut him more slack because of who he replaced at Clintwood. Those were some really underachieving teams in 90’s. Especially, 1996 and 1999. 
As for Tiller, I believe he was a good coach. Who knows as to the reasons he left are true or not. 

4 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Not questioning coaching, unless it was the primary reason for success, but why was Clintwood so good? For the older guys, what about the 70s state titles?

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

Not questioning coaching, unless it was the primary reason for success, but why was Clintwood so good? For the older guys, what about the 70s state titles?

I wasn’t alive for the 70’s so I can answer that. I can say Dickenson County may be small, but there always seems to be great athletes. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

That YouTube poster appears to be from Northern VA.  He or she had some other videos posted that are more local to Northern Virginia.   

Well whoever it is I have to say they are an idiot....we are NOT Giles County....at least not yet lol

• 3 months later...

1987 Va High @ Richlands playoff game.  Game winning 2 Pt conversion caught by Chad King and called out of bounds.  King was clearly in bounds and the game ends on a controversial call. Bearcats get the walkoff stop for the win. That was one of the most talented Richlands teams ever.  Photographer caught the catch on film… clearly showed the feet were in bounds.

2021: Ridgeview @ Richlands.  Ridgeview dominated a regular season matchup but Richlands played a great game and had the lead with 1:30 to play. Not so fast! Ryan O’Quinn hits Brandon Beavers in the back corner of the endzone on an amazing toe tap TD for what appeared to be the game winner.  Not so fast!  For some inexplicable reason Ridgeview kicked it directly to Sage Webb who returns it 80+ yards for the apparent game winning counter. Ernie Hicks erupts sensing a major upset.  Not so fast!  Ridgeview drives down the field and is on the 7 yard line with :04 seconds….time for one more play.  O’ Quinn drops back and looks to his left and hits Beavers on a come back just a foot inside the endzone to win the game with no time left on the clock. The game had three would/ be game winning scores in the last 1:26 of the game with three score changes.

1996 J.I. Burton @Clintwood. 0-0 for the whole game. Clintwood wins in 3 OT’s.

For all the talk about the bad coaching this year at RV (myself included), nothing holds a candle to the coaches of this team ruining a deep playoff run. 

On 2/19/2023 at 12:01 AM, Wolf1207 said:

1996 J.I. Burton @Clintwood. 0-0 for the whole game. Clintwood wins in 3 OT’s.

For all the talk about the bad coaching this year at RV (myself included), nothing holds a candle to the coaches of this team ruining a deep playoff run. 

Well, I won’t argue with you, but just go back and rewatch this last seasons Region Championship game against Graham.  It was a clinic in piss poor coaching, game plans and adjustments. 
Over the course of a six year window, RV will have graduated a 6500 yard rusher, 2600 yard WR and a probable 9K yard passer and will have ZERO Region championships to show for it. Amazing.  

Got best and Worst

Best

2013 Union vs. Richlands-Union was down 14-0 at halftime. Fast forward and it’s 21-14 Richlands. I think Union turned it over on downs with about 3 minutes left. I got up to make my way to my truck. I didn’t think Union could stop Richlands and was gassed. Well I got to the East end zone and Union had stopped them. So I hung out at the end zone. Then they tied the game up 21 with about 15 seconds left. Richlands calls what’s presumably the last play in regulation and they’re ready for overtime. Pass. Union defender intercepts it and runs it in untouched. Union wins 27-21. 

I called my parents and said “What did you think about that?” They were listening on WAXM. They said the commentators were yelling so loudly that they couldn’t make out what happened. Told them what happened and they were stunned. 

2001 PV vs Gate City. Regular season. I was in 8th grade. Powell Valley had lost 2 consecutive to GC in Gate City’s last 2 years as a D3 team. GC’s first year back in the LPD. PV led for the majority of the game. Going up 2 touchdowns a couple of times. A very young but still very good Gate City team just wouldn’t go away. Gate City scores a TD in the last few seconds to make the score 35 all and go to OT. Gate City gets ball first. 4th down. Kick no good. PV gets the ball, first play touchdown Sheldon Adams. PV wins 41-35. 

Worst

1999 PV vs JJ Kelly. PV had lost a lot of players like Julius Jones from the great 98 team. Looked poised for another 10-0 season. JJ Kelly had been awful for years. Seemed to be improved. PV was obviously a heavy favorite. PV went in. Halftime they were down 13-0. Thought “Maybe they’ll come back.” Lost 19-14. Was worst from PV perspective. 

2002 PV at GC. A very young and down PV team that had improved as the season went along. Vs a juggernaut GC team that looked poised to go undefeated and win state. PV couldn’t get a single thing going and lost 49-0. 

2003 PV at GC for the first round of the playoffs. A PV team hungry to avenge 3 straight losses to Gate City. Gate City had torn through the season in 02 only to be upset by George Wythe. First half was tight. 14-13 at the half in favor of Gate City. Second half happened and it appeared to be anybody’s game. Well. PV couldn’t get a thing going. The result became clear when Gate City got a scoop and score to go up 35-13. Gate City won 49-13. 

On 2/20/2023 at 4:06 AM, SwvaOG said:

Well, I won’t argue with you, but just go back and rewatch this last seasons Region Championship game against Graham.  It was a clinic in piss poor coaching, game plans and adjustments. 
Over the course of a six year window, RV will have graduated a 6500 yard rusher, 2600 yard WR and a probable 9K yard passer and will have ZERO Region championships to show for it. Amazing.  

Oh no need to argue, you are 100% correct.  I just wish I had tape of that 96 PV@Clintwood game.  I remember Clintwood had the ball 1st and Goal and couldn’t punch it n because of the need to throw the ball after running down PV’s throat to get in position.  
Then a couple of weeks later we went up to Giles and watched PV play Giles and some of those players were infuriated.  They knew they could’ve played with Giles that day.  Beating them, who knows.  They lost a close state title game the next week.  
There was no dominant team that year as PV was a year away from destroying everyone in its path for a couple of years.