Greatest game(s) you’ve seen in person

UnionGuy2017

On 2/21/2023 at 12:35 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm surprised some of you Powell Valley-Union guys never brought up the 1989 PV-Central Lunenburg game where PV won it 21-20. 

Yep. My cousin threw winning TD pass. My other cousin caught the TD pass 

1 hour ago, BearsFan88 said:

Yep. My cousin threw winning TD pass. My other cousin caught the TD pass 

Nice Bearsfan!  If I'm not mistaken, was that the year Central had a big ole Left Hander that could sling it pretty good?  I may be getting mixed up with the mid 80's and some of the earlier PV-Lunenburg battles, but they had a dynamic kid at QB a couple years at Central.  Years have past and I can't remember his name.  My dad use to hunt with Chippy Chappell, Glynn Carlock, Nick Colobro and those guys.  Chippy Chappell, the former Lunenburg coach had ties to Bluefield, VA.  Powell Valley was just to nasty up front for those teams back then, and they had the discipline and athleticism to go with it (and that's even before the Jones brothers).

17 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Nice Bearsfan!  If I'm not mistaken, was that the year Central had a big ole Left Hander that could sling it pretty good?  I may be getting mixed up with the mid 80's and some of the earlier PV-Lunenburg battles, but they had a dynamic kid at QB a couple years at Central.  Years have past and I can't remember his name.  My dad use to hunt with Chippy Chappell, Glynn Carlock, Nick Colobro and those guys.  Chippy Chappell, the former Lunenburg coach had ties to Bluefield, VA.  Powell Valley was just to nasty up front for those teams back then, and they had the discipline and athleticism to go with it (and that's even before the Jones brothers).

He was a right hander and  a really good QB. It was an outstanding football game for sure!

On 2/23/2023 at 6:39 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

https://archive.techsideline.com/footballrecruiting/instaterankings/1998rtlists.htm

Jake Houseright and the game in 1997 with the knuckle ball kick to beat JF was a dandy of a finish.  I think it was JF, might have been Brookville.

It was Jefferson Forest.  One of the top games I have ever attended as well. 

1987 Richlands at Tazewell

Tazewell was the defending state champion and Richlands came in 3-0 and unscored on. Back then the games started at 8 pm and the stands were full at 6:00. It has to be the largest crowd ever at Tazewell ..reportedly 9k to 10k in a 5,000 seat stadium and easily more than than the state final the year before.

It was a back and forth game in which Tazewell stopped Richlands QB Adam Lallande on a 4th down option keeper late in the 4th quarter with the score tied 21-21. Tazewell then won the game on Quentin Reed’s 4th TD run of the game.

Some others that were already mentioned:

2016 Richlands - Stuarts Draft state semi

1996 Grundy - Salem state semi….one of the most miserable weather-wise I’ve ever witnessed….cold and it rained sideways most of the game. Grundy fumbled inside the Salem 5 in OT and lost 6-0

The Galax v Clintwood state championship game. As an impartial observer with no dog in the fight, the Galax receiver slipped, he wasn’t pushed.

Another couple that weren’t the best, but two of the most memorable (and strangest).

1995 state semifinal. Graham beats William Campbell 7-6 despite getting only one first down the entire game 😂. The winning TD came on an INT return and the first down came late in the 4th when they were trying run out the clock.

1991 Bluefield 6 Graham 4 ..the ESPN Scholastic Sports America game won when Ron Betts (Beaver’s third QB of the night) throws a TD pass in the final minute.

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/13/2022 at 7:22 AM, Dawg01 said:

1997 Appalachia at Powell Valley. I was apart of that game. 9-0 and number 1 in the state at 9-0 and number 2 in the state instant classic 20 to 14 in favor of the vikings. Bullet Park magic happened that night.

I apologize, but I am having trouble understanding your question. Could you please rephrase or provide more context? It seems like you may be referring to a sports game that took place in 1997 involving the Appalachia team and Powell Valley, but I am not sure what you are asking about "Bullet Park magic." Please clarify your question so I can assist you better.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:21 AM, GC_Quincy said:

Best $5 I ever spent in my life.

Jeremy Gibson blew his knee out in overtime of that game. If Graham had won that game if mightve been the G-Men who won the state that year. You're right though. Best game I ever saw.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 1:09 PM, CPF said:

Jeremy Gibson blew his knee out in overtime of that game. If Graham had won that game if mightve been the G-Men who won the state that year. You're right though. Best game I ever saw.

I hated that happened. He was playing his guts out as they all were. 

2001 PV vs Gate City regular season. Gate City returns to the LPD the beginning of the season. Only blemish was a 28-0 setback against Richlands. Powell Valley had high expectations for the season despite 2 setbacks against a good Grundy and Richlands, both of which could have gone the other way. 

Gate City, while very young was still very good. PV led 21-7 I believe at the half. Gate City tied it right back up in the 3rd quarter. 35 all end of regulation. GC gets ball first in OT. 4th down FG no good. PV scores first on its OT possession for the 41-35 win. 

GC paid us back in the playoffs. 

On 4/14/2023 at 8:25 AM, BearsFan88 said:

2001 PV vs Gate City regular season. Gate City returns to the LPD the beginning of the season. Only blemish was a 28-0 setback against Richlands. Powell Valley had high expectations for the season despite 2 setbacks against a good Grundy and Richlands, both of which could have gone the other way. 

Gate City, while very young was still very good. PV led 21-7 I believe at the half. Gate City tied it right back up in the 3rd quarter. 35 all end of regulation. GC gets ball first in OT. 4th down FG no good. PV scores first on its OT possession for the 41-35 win. 

GC paid us back in the playoffs. 

I believe that might've been Isaiah Spivey's break out game. I can't remember the PV RB but goodness they put on a show.