Greatest game(s) you’ve seen in person

UnionGuy2017

2 minutes ago, Packman said:

2011 Clintwood Galax State Championship Game.  Galax jumped put to 14-0 lead then Clintwood scored the next 33 points and had to knock a pass down in the end zone on last play of the game to win last State Championship in School History.  

You mean tackle the Galax WR in the end zone before the ball got there, right?

Just kidding. That was an exciting game with more twists and turns than the Clinch River. 

31 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

1981  Graham 6, Tazewell 3.  The "Snow Bowl" at Mitchell Stadium for the Region IV Championship

2 more for me. Giles 1980 win over Park View of Sterling 33-32 in the state title game over a Sterling led Allen Pinkett, an All American RB who played at Notre Dame and the Houston Oilers. This was my first memory of High School Football Game.

The following year, 1981, Graham over Tazewell in a snow storm. My first ever visit to Mitchell Stadium. I still remember the names. Graham All State QB Eddie Neal who would go on to play Safety at Virginia Tech threw it to Tie End Lee Grimes who was blanketed by All Everything and Athlete Jimmy King of Tazewell, but King slipped in the snow for Grimes to run down the field untouched for the win. 

Greg Mance was on that Giles 1980 team. Jimmy King of Tazewell would go on to great stuff in coaching baseball at John Battle. One of Eddie Neal's sons was on one of the Charlotte team's that came to Mitchell Stadium a decade or so ago and passed the Beavers out of the stadium. Graham has had a great run of QBs recently, but none were better than Eddie Neal in 1981. Put Neal in todays time with today's training around Grahams talent, and his numbers would have been video gameesk.

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

You mean tackle the Galax WR in the end zone before the ball got there, right?

Just kidding. That was an exciting game with more twists and turns than the Clinch River. 

Hey it didn’t happen if it wasn’t called.  Lol. Yes they was all kinds of ups and downs and twist and turns in that game but a ALOT of heart by both teams.  

35 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

2 more for me. Giles 1980 win over Park View of Sterling 33-32 in the state title game over a Sterling led Allen Pinkett, an All American RB who played at Notre Dame and the Houston Oilers. This was my first memory of High School Football Game.

The following year, 1981, Graham over Tazewell in a snow storm. My first ever visit to Mitchell Stadium. I still remember the names. Graham All State QB Eddie Neal who would go on to play Safety at Virginia Tech threw it to Tie End Lee Grimes who was blanketed by All Everything and Athlete Jimmy King of Tazewell, but King slipped in the snow for Grimes to run down the field untouched for the win. 

Greg Mance was on that Giles 1980 team. Jimmy King of Tazewell would go on to great stuff in coaching baseball at John Battle. One of Eddie Neal's sons was on one of the Charlotte team's that came to Mitchell Stadium a decade or so ago and passed the Beavers out of the stadium. Graham has had a great run of QBs recently, but none were better than Eddie Neal in 1981. Put Neal in todays time with today's training around Grahams talent, and his numbers would have been video gameesk.

I remember a playoff game with Tazewell vs GW game in the snow with Paul Wheeler as coach at GW, maybe 84 or 85. It was freezing! 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

1997, Gate City over Brookville in the state semi's with the GC kicker floating a knuckle ball barely over the uprights late in the game.

That would have been the Jefferson Forest game I referenced.  Brookeville upset GC in 96 in the rain. GC upset JF in 97 on the low knuckler with around 15 seconds left. 

As @redtiger and @swva_havok_fan have already said that Galax vs Haysi game was probably best the high school game I have ever seen in person. Back and forth the whole time and then a 2 point conversion for the win for the last high school game to ever be played at Sandlick. As much as I enjoy Ridgeview it is hard to top a packed house at Sandlick on a playoff Saturday when Haysi was good.

I was at the 93 PV/Haysi and Giles/Haysi Mud Bowl, but I was playing 2 hand touch on the hill not knowing how great the games on the field were. 

Lots of great games I wish I would have been at. I would have loved to see the old PV/APPY game.

havok I remember that pound game well. Rolled my ankle early in the game and Larry taped it up and Dr. Molina gave me some meds and right back in. Could not walk on it Saturday but the win did make it hurt less. 

The last few regular season games with Graham and Union have been pretty great. The 60+ yard TD run by Union as time expired was an incredible game.

The Graham Beaver game in 2008 was great. The "stop" at the goal line. Pretty sure it was the first game on turf at Mitchell Stadium as well.

I also left the VT/Nebraska game early. Was getting on the bus when I heard a roar from the crowd. Missed out on that one.

Game 6 of the NBA Finals in 2016 was incredible. Loudest and most electric game I've ever been to.

19 minutes ago, -oo- said:

The last few regular season games with Graham and Union have been pretty great. The 60+ yard TD run by Union as time expired was an incredible game.

The Graham Beaver game in 2008 was great. The "stop" at the goal line. Pretty sure it was the first game on turf at Mitchell Stadium as well.

I also left the VT/Nebraska game early. Was getting on the bus when I heard a roar from the crowd. Missed out on that one.

Game 6 of the NBA Finals in 2016 was incredible. Loudest and most electric game I've ever been to.

No 2007 had turf

2 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I was at that1997 Gate City-Jeff Forest sitting in the JF section.  I'm one of those blurry images.   

Mee too. I set in the lower right corner with my father at the edge of the stands. I can't make myself out in that clip, but I am also one of those blurry images.  I couldn't believe it. When the ball flew over the line of scrimmage, I was thinking......  No Chance. That ball will hit in the middle of the endzone with that low trajectory and knuckling effect, but the thing just stayed the same trajectory the whole way. I remember JF spreading GC out and letting their QB just pick a hole and he did some damage with his quicks. GC like always, smashed JF on the ground off tackle.

14 minutes ago, foosballer said:

1989 State Championship at Bullet Park! The catch by Ricky Web! PV 21 - Lunenburg 20

The Vikings over Chippy Chapells Chargers from Victoria, VA. Small history blurb. My father would go hunting some with Glynn Carlock, Chippy Chappell, and Willis White of Salem, and occasionally Mike Smith of Hampton High and a few others. Those guys would get together once a year. Chappell was the Phil Robbins in single A of Eastern VA, and had ties to swva.  My father once had a picture of Mike Smith (Hampton), Glynn Carlock, Chippy Chappell (Central Lunenberg), John Chmara (Bluefield High), Willis White (Salem) and Nick Colobro (Gate City) drinking a beer at the legendary Cottons Bar in Bluefield, VA, before going on a hunting trip. If I can find it, I will post it. 

2011 Richlands at Union 

2012 Union at Richlands

2013 Richlands at Union

2013 Virginia High at Richlands 3OT second round of the playoffs

2014 Richlands at Gate City third round of the playoffs

2018 Eastside at Patrick Henry 

Can think of 2 pretty good ones at Mitchell stadium. Need help with the years though. Bluefield and Martinsburg. Both ranked number one in AA and AAA. Nate Sowers was qb for Martinsburg. Bluefield won 42-35 I think. The other was Graham and Gate City maybe late 90’s. Triple overtime. Gate City had Houseright. Gate city won that one. 

20 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The Vikings over Chippy Chapells Chargers from Victoria, VA. Small history blurb. My father would go hunting some with Glynn Carlock, Chippy Chappell, and Willis White of Salem, and occasionally Mike Smith of Hampton High and a few others. Those guys would get together once a year. Chappell was the Phil Robbins in single A of Eastern VA, and had ties to swva.  My father once had a picture of Mike Smith (Hampton), Glynn Carlock, Chippy Chappell (Central Lunenberg), John Chmara (Bluefield High), Willis White (Salem) and Nick Colobro (Gate City) drinking a beer at the legendary Cottons Bar in Bluefield, VA, before going on a hunting trip. If I can find it, I will post it. 

Bandana, Coach Lineburg had a place in Bland County on Wilderness Rd close to national forest land. Some of those gatherings were held there among the coaches you mentioned and many more. Tight knit group. Coach Lineburg, Joel Hicks, Harry Ragsdale, and even Dave Ryder and Homer Hickham of rocket boys fame were in that group of friends that usually got together each year for many years. 

2 hours ago, Packman said:

2011 Clintwood Galax State Championship Game.  Galax jumped put to 14-0 lead then Clintwood scored the next 33 points and had to knock a pass down in the end zone on last play of the game to win last State Championship in School History.  

Yeah forgot about that game really thought Clintwood had no chance after going down 2 TDS.  The Turner kid on that team was a helluva ball player 

Mine would be Radfords 10-7 loss to Graham in 1989. Very personal to me because I played on that one. I thought we had em.

Since winning the AA state titles in 1971 and 72 led by Coach Lineburg and All State QB Kenny Alderman, the Bobcats are 1 and 7 in state semi games. 0-1 in state title games. That's 8 appearances at the state semi level without a state title. You can imagine why the fans in Raddy are so excited this year. Trying to get over the hump.  Also, Kenny Alderman's nephew was a freshman or sophomore that played for Graham on the 1989 Graham state title team

32 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Bandana, Coach Lineburg had a place in Bland County on Wilderness Rd close to national forest land. Some of those gatherings were held there among the coaches you mentioned and many more. Tight knit group. Coach Lineburg, Joel Hicks, Harry Ragsdale, and even Dave Ryder and Homer Hickham of rocket boys fame were in that group of friends that usually got together each year for many years. 

Wow, that's SWVA coaching legends. I'm guessing longtime Northside coach Jim Hickam, Homer's brother, was also a part of the group.

3 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

Someone mentioned the 1996 Grundy v Salem state semi. being a great game but I just remember being so cold and so drenched. 6-0 played at Tazewell when it was R4's turn to host that semi and Salem didn't want to make the full trip. I'd love to find that one on Youtube.

Ive heard about this several times, why Tazewell? Why not Hurley or Garden, Honaker or Haysi, even Richlands before Tazewell