Greatest game(s) you’ve seen in person

UnionGuy2017

Greatest game was probably in 2015 when Richlands came to Appomattox for the 3rd game in the playoffs. 

Even for most of the game then Richalnds scored on a long pass and then again to go up by 14 with about 7+ minutes to go in the 4th.   Appo converted a 4th down scored, scored again to tie the gameand send it to OT.  

In OT Richlands got the ball first and Javon Scruggs intercepted a pass in the endzone.  Raiders score a TD on a play around the left side putting the ball over the pylon on the way out of bounds.   Raiders win in OT 27-21  

Other great games.  

2017 game at Union. This game decided who would play in Salem.

AWESOME atmosphere!!!!!!  Appo went up 20-0 in the first half and then help off the charging Bears to win the game 23-20 I believe.

2017 State Championship Game vs R.E. LEE

The Raiders played from behind most of this game and had two key injuries early that took these players out of the game.  The Riaders hung tough and Javon Scruggs found a away to keep us in the game and then take the lead with just a few minutes remaining to win 38-34.

2016 District game at Dan River 

Dan River refused to move the game and we played in a hurricane (can't remember which one) they knew that a soaking wet field was the only way to slow down the Raiders.  We won this game by 2 points.

2019  Graham comes to Appomattox

Score wasn't overly close but you knew at any moment either team could make a move.  Raider's win 28-13

2020 State Championship:  Raiders have to go the lower seeded Stuarts Draft teams home field.

This game was always led by the Raiders but Draft simply would not go away.   It was fought until the final minute.  Raider win 48-41

I feel very fortunate to have had a son in each of these games (sideline or on the field when older).  It was an AWESOME experience with the Raiders from 2015-2020.  I have 6 state rings in my house.  My oldest won 15,16,17  and my youngest won 17,19,20.  Raiders went 77-5 over those years, What a ride it was!

21 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Can anybody give some context of what happened and why in this situation?

Some teams/coaches have had a habit of having their team enter and leave the field under the uprights.  Well at Appy that can be tricky as Appy would always enter the field and while the captains meet run plays to continue warming up on the end of the field both teams enter from.  Typcially Appy enters down their sideline and circles back.  A lot of schools would go down their sideline to run through banner or whatever as well.  Kelly that year wanted to enter through the goalposts and had a spirit line form at Appy as well.  I figure some Bulldog players didnt appreciate it, maybe the coaches too, and the players entered the spirit line to try and stop it from happening basically.  What you then see transpire is the rest of the story.  

On 10/13/2022 at 10:55 PM, Duke2015 said:

Rumor probably started by the people he was running over 

Rumor told to me by Appalachia blue bloods.

Idk if its true or not, at this point no one probably does but the way I hear it he was born to poor black parents in Stonega (thats beyond refute) and in those days the kids of poor black coal camp parents were born at home with little verification. 

I was at Union today for the band competition and I was sitting in the exact same spot I was at for the Appo @ Union game and it brought back some fun memories. One of the best atmospheres I’ve ever seen. The Union fans I was around embraced me and @BlueRazor even though we had on Richlands gear. Truly a blast. 

10 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I was at Union today for the band competition and I was sitting in the exact same spot I was at for the Appo @ Union game and it brought back some fun memories. One of the best atmospheres I’ve ever seen. The Union fans I was around embraced me and @BlueRazor even though we had on Richlands gear. Truly a blast. 

I was at the softball fields in Bristol today or I would have gave you a shout. My wife was at Bullitt for our oldest and the band. 

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I was at the softball fields in Bristol today or I would have gave you a shout. My wife was at Bullitt for our oldest and the band. 

I'll be at the Big Blue Classic in Richlands this weekend if RC is competing there. And Battle the week after.

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'll be at the Big Blue Classic in Richlands this weekend if RC is competing there. And Battle the week after.

Yesterday was our last for the year.  Move to concert band once football season is over. 

11 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Yesterday was our last for the year.  Move to concert band once football season is over. 

Oh wow. It was Richlands’ first after the one at Central got canceled. 

three games I got to go watch in person that are down right up there in great games, two involving Honaker and one involving Richlands. 

1999 Honaker vs Clintwood for the Region D Division 2 title

2012, dubbed "The Comeback of the Ages" Honaker vs Sussex Central

not for sure the year, but Richlands win over Stuarts Draft in the State Semis

52 minutes ago, Tigers_07 said:

three games I got to go watch in person that are down right up there in great games, two involving Honaker and one involving Richlands. 

Was the 99 game Heath Miller v. Justin Hamilton?

Sometimes the beauty of these neutral games is simply enjoying the game itself, while not having too much invested. This list rekindled many fond memories. That Honaker game in 1999 and others listed, reminded me of the times spent with those who attended those games with me. It wasn’t the emotional investment of my own alma mater, but discussing those moments with others and those analytical details. 
During that game, I was already familiar with the exploits and reputation of Justin Hamilton, but I was introduced to Heath Miller on a big stage. I can’t remember who made the tackle, but I can replay in my memory the fumble-causing hit that sent the ball straight up into the air and gave the Tigers the ball. It helped to appreciate how other communities support their teams and how much we have in common.

5 hours ago, Tigers_07 said:

I was at the Sussex game in 2012!! Man that one would be on my list, too! That was insane to watch. 

Appalachia at gate city 1993. Appalachia was losing late and I think it was 4th down and long and Coach Tom Turner took a timeout. And instead of talking to his team he went out and asked Coach Houseright if he wanted to go fishing later. Needless to say Appalachia ran a hook and ladder scored on the play, the place went nuts im positive the concrete bleachers were moving that night appy won the game late with a pick on defense. Pretty sure houseright talked about this on the old lpd show they use to do on channel 10 for us old folk. Gate City folks should be able to remember this as well.

1 hour ago, Dawg01 said:

Appalachia at gate city 1993. Appalachia was losing late and I think it was 4th down and long and Coach Tom Turner took a timeout. And instead of talking to his team he went out and asked Coach Houseright if he wanted to go fishing later. Needless to say Appalachia ran a hook and ladder scored on the play, the place went nuts im positive the concrete bleachers were moving that night appy won the game late with a pick on defense. Pretty sure houseright talked about this on the old lpd show they use to do on channel 10 for us old folk. Gate City folks should be able to remember this as well.

Best game I’ve ever seen just one of those games you see once every 10 years 

16 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

They must have lost then...never heard of a winning team called predictable lol

I was there just as someone wanting to see a good game not as a fan of either team. My uncle and I went and basically called every play Clintwood ran in the 4th quarter even the halfback pass for the last play in regulation. Hamilton was gassed. I also remember being somewhat surprised Honaker didn’t throw more hitches at the LOS as Clintwood sat in Cover 3 10 yards off the LOS.  I felt like Clintwood was the better team but Honaker out schemed them on that day.