Week 9: Ridgeview @ Abingdon

SwvaOG

These two programs seem to take turns whipping each other lately.  Abingdon embarrassed the Pack last year at Rose Ridge. I don’t think there’s been a close game since 2017.  So, if that schedule holds true the Pack is due to put one on the Falcons.  
Im no longer asking if an opponent can stop RV’s passing attack as I’m not sure they have one anymore.  The better question is can Abingdon stop RV’s Big Three of O’Quinn, Beavers and Hill?  Does Abingdon’s OL and DL take control of this game?

Seems like a game that's kind of been under the radar on discussion all year as Gate City's improvement has got attention and much talk of RV at Bluefield, and of course RV vs Union, but it's this game that's sneaky for Ridgeview. Abingdon is not as strong this year, but still has lots of numbers, lots of students, lots to pick from, so it leaves them with a whole lot of depth and talent, which is still present at Abingdon. 

Similar to Bluefield vs Tazewell and talent showing up for one day, RV has to be careful because they are playing a team (Abingdon Class 3) that still yields bucket loads of talent compared to most Class 2 schools in the area. If RV isn't focused, they could lose this football game. The ready available talent difference thst favors RV is not so wide that Abingdon couldn't pull an upset, if an unfocused RV shows up. 

I got RV by 7 to 10 points 

30 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Seems like a game that's kind of been under the radar on discussion all year as Gate City's improvement has got attention and much talk of RV at Bluefield, and of course RV vs Union, but it's this game that's sneaky for Ridgeview. Abingdon is not as strong this year, but still has lots of numbers, lots of students, lots to pick from, so it leaves them with a whole lot of depth and talent, which is still present at Abingdon. 

Similar to Bluefield vs Tazewell and talent showing up for one day, RV has to be careful because they are playing a team (Abingdon Class 3) that still yields bucket loads of talent compared to most Class 2 schools in the area. If RV isn't focused, they could lose this football game. The ready available talent difference thst favors RV is not so wide that Abingdon couldn't pull an upset, if an unfocused RV shows up. 

I got RV by 7 to 10 points 

I agree here. This game concerns me for RV. However, I believe RV is at a point where we might start seeing a more complete game from them. O’Quinn threw some great passes against JB which may re-spark the throwing confidence. RV is obviously doing different things, from all appearances of the JB game, with Beavers to get his hands on the ball more as well. Counts is electric and just sits in the shadows for the opportunity to do his thing. Hackney will be back so RV has all their running backs back and a key defensive player in Hackney. Right now Hill is playing as good at his positions as any skill player in the state on any level. His defensive skills are crazy as well as Honaker. Abingdon is so dangerous when they are hungry like they are right now. They have some great athletes. This is definitely a game that deserves a lot of attention.

7 hours ago, rdh2443 said:

I agree here. This game concerns me for RV. However, I believe RV is at a point where we might start seeing a more complete game from them. O’Quinn threw some great passes against JB which may re-spark the throwing confidence. RV is obviously doing different things, from all appearances of the JB game, with Beavers to get his hands on the ball more as well. Counts is electric and just sits in the shadows for the opportunity to do his thing. Hackney will be back so RV has all their running backs back and a key defensive player in Hackney. Right now Hill is playing as good at his positions as any skill player in the state on any level. His defensive skills are crazy as well as Honaker. Abingdon is so dangerous when they are hungry like they are right now. They have some great athletes. This is definitely a game that deserves a lot of attention.

RV’s defense has quietly taken on the leadership role for this team.  It is more consistent than it’s offense and the Pack have been able to depend on it when it’s offense can’t seem to find its footings.  They are stout up front with the best LB group in Region 2D (Hill, Honaker and Hartsock or Triple H) and a shut down CB with Beavers and a rangy physical SS in Counts.  I enjoy watching them more than their offensive counterparts of late.  They are still susceptible to busted plays or over pursuit and an unsportsmanlike or two but they are good enough to keep them in any game.

47 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

RV’s defense has quietly taken on the leadership role for this team.  It is more consistent than it’s offense and the Pack have been able to depend on it when it’s offense can’t seem to find its footings.  They are stout up front with the best LB group in Region 2D (Hill, Honaker and Hartsock or Triple H) and a shut down CB with Beavers and a rangy physical SS in Counts.  I enjoy watching them more than their offensive counterparts of late.  They are still susceptible to busted plays or over pursuit and an unsportsmanlike or two but they are good enough to keep them in any game.

I agree with this. The defense agains Union had a B+ game. Gave up a couple of throws and one long run, but that was really it. Same against Central. The only team I’ve seen move the ball on them is Grundy,  and that doesn’t to appear to be as bad as we  thought on week 2. 

I just can't see Abingdon hanging with Ridgeview. Abingdon does have more numbers and more kids to choose from, but I just think the physical play from Ridgeview will let them come out on top in this one.

RV - 28 Abingdon - 14

16 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

100% agree. Defense has really shown up!

Grundy  only had around 140 yards on them

20 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I agree with this. The defense agains Union had a B+ game. Gave up a couple of throws and one long run, but that was really it. Same against Central. The only team I’ve seen move the ball on them is Grundy,  and that doesn’t to appear to be as bad as we  thought on week 2. 

23 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Yea. Beavers is making a big difference on defense. He seems to swarm to the ball really good when the ball is in the air. Again, Hackney is strong on deference now that’s he’s back as well. This is going to be a very interesting week for RV. If penalties and turnovers are low, it could be a big win. If not, it is going to be a long night for the pack. I suspect they will continue to run the ball and throw when they need to. I have just been really impressed by the versatility of the offense with the run and passing ability. But right now, their defense is hard to beat.

6 hours ago, rdh2443 said:

Yea. Beavers is making a big difference on defense. He seems to swarm to the ball really good when the ball is in the air. Again, Hackney is strong on deference now that’s he’s back as well. This is going to be a very interesting week for RV. If penalties and turnovers are low, it could be a big win. If not, it is going to be a long night for the pack. I suspect they will continue to run the ball and throw when they need to. I have just been really impressed by the versatility of the offense with the run and passing ability. But right now, their defense is hard to beat.

Beavers and that speed and athleticism. I would love to see him covering Marcell Baylor from Radford, or Baylor covering him. That would be a heck of a matchup if both get that far. Baylor is going to VT and phenomenal. I guarantee you Beavers more than holds his own. I hope the two make it that far so the college level recruiters can see the Div 1 commit get played equally or outplayed by the kid they should have offered a year ago. 

8 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Beavers and that speed and athleticism. I would love to see him covering Marcell Baylor from Radford, or Baylor covering him. That would be a heck of a matchup if both get that far. Baylor is going to VT and phenomenal. I guarantee you Beavers more than holds his own. I hope the two make it that far so the college level recruiters can see the Div 1 commit get played equally or outplayed by the kid they should have offered a year ago. 

That would be great! It’s my understanding that some more new options for beavers has been added and for Hill. Ridgeview has a play they used against union with Hill getting a short pass up the middle from O’Quinn that’s is open every time it is attempted, but the ball has to be perfectly timed. Cannon Hill has a cannon for an arms as well, so I would start looking for some deeper passes from him out of the back position.

12 minutes ago, rdh2443 said:

That would be great! It’s my understanding that some more new options for beavers has been added and for Hill. Ridgeview has a play they used against union with Hill getting a short pass up the middle from O’Quinn that’s is open every time it is attempted, but the ball has to be perfectly timed. Cannon Hill has a cannon for an arms as well, so I would start looking for some deeper passes from him out of the back position.

Cannon has played qb position some coming up throughout the years so does not surprise me.  They need to use every thing they can.  You don’t get these type of athletes around very often.  

Turned on NFHS to see a coach in the huddle putting his hair up while trying to talk to the players.  Yeah you read that right.  May want to wait till you get back on the sidelines to fix that bun so you can focus on the play calling.  Another terrible play calling night just from what I seen in the last quarter and a half. 

5 minutes ago, Backpack said:

Turned on NFHS to see a coach in the huddle putting his hair up while trying to talk to the players.  Yeah you read that right.  May want to wait till you get back on the sidelines to fix that bun so you can focus on the play calling.  Another terrible play calling night. 

Man bun?

16 minutes ago, Backpack said:

Turned on NFHS to see a coach in the huddle putting his hair up while trying to talk to the players.  Yeah you read that right.  May want to wait till you get back on the sidelines to fix that bun so you can focus on the play calling.  Another terrible play calling night just from what I seen in the last quarter and a half. 

Gotta look good for the camera that’s the most important thing 

19 minutes ago, Backpack said:

Him, his daddy, and the banker will be the downfall of Ridgeview this year 

3 minutes ago, Backpack said:

If he would coach those boys to go after the ball like he went after that dropped hair tie we would be in business 

If he knew how to coach that might be a possibility. He better stick to hair ties... easier for him 

I’m going to go back and watch the first half but I think we better be thanking Kent grant and the defense for this one. why do we have to throw the ball 60 yards down field every time we call a pass play? We aren’t doing anything but setting up our QB for sacks and turnovers.  

RV offensive coaches are AWFUL period! Big IF here but IF they make it to play the G-men obviously it’s going to be in Bluefield and I’ll guess it’s about the same result as last year if not worse. 

Tunnel screens, quick slants, playmakers in space…..don’t see it. Bombs away!