Week 9: Ridgeview @ Abingdon

SwvaOG

The defense has played well all year. LBs are active and make tackles. There are a couple of solid lineman that can make plays. 5 is physical, will make tackles in run support, and is good in coverage. 7 and 11 are both solid in coverage. I think they have outshined the O all year 

3 minutes ago, PackDadx4 said:

RV offensive coaches are AWFUL period! Big IF here but IF they make it to play the G-men obviously it’s going to be in Bluefield and I’ll guess it’s about the same result as last year if not worse. 

Tunnel screens, quick slants, playmakers in space…..don’t see it. Bombs away! 

I don’t see us making the deep run everyone is talking about.  We have the players.  

3 minutes ago, PackDadx4 said:

RV offensive coaches are AWFUL period! Big IF here but IF they make it to play the G-men obviously it’s going to be in Bluefield and I’ll guess it’s about the same result as last year if not worse. 

Tunnel screens, quick slants, playmakers in space…..don’t see it. Bombs away! 

Play calls and personnel usage is questionable at best. 

3 minutes ago, Backpack said:

When my wife is making better play calls from the couch something is wrong 

It’s almost as if they actually don’t trust their QB. Predetermined before the snap of the ball that we have a go route in the play so we have to throw it there. O’Quinn can spin it! The coaching is doing him a great disservice by not teaching how to read coverage and where to go with the ball based on what he sees. 

Defensively on the other hand looks solid even against a physically bigger unit. They will get after it and they’re coming in swarms to the ball.

I watched most of this one on the phone.  Arguably, the worse display of offensive utilization I have seen for one game for this entire year.  I take it back.  Not arguably.....it was.  I don't want to be offensive to you RV fans.  I thought some of you were just wining some about the offense and it was typical fans doing the usual critique of the offense.  I apologize to you.  After watching.....I agree with you.  I simply can't NOT believe that in the year 2022, when a team has pro sets and 3 or 4 split wide every set, and there is LOTS of 1 on 1 coverage (Abingdon surprised me here, they actually played a fair bit of 1 on 1 coverage), that not one screen is thrown, or more hitches, tunnels, or bubbles.  You walk away from that game and you ask yourself, "how is that possible?"  What thought process is going through the offensive staffs brains to actually make it to halftime, and you hope just someone....one person on staff, just one has the thought occur to the brain that states, "you know, we haven't throw a screen in this game."  Evidently, that thought just continues to not occur.  It's mind boggling.

Credit the RV staff for adjusting in the 2nd/3rd qtr with some of the shallow crossing patterns, but still I don't see any quick hitches to the athletes.  Literally, snap ball, QB takes one step drop, and release the football to the sidelines.  That just doesn't seem to happen at RV, and if does, I've missed it.  RV has all the athletes needed at the skilled positions to make that successful.  We saw that with the shallow crosses which take much longer to develop, but when the WR catches the ball, the first defender nearly always misses.  Just my opinion, but I agree with you on the offensive play selection.  

4 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I watched most of this one on the phone.  Arguably, the worse display of offensive utilization I have seen for one game for this entire year.  I take it back.  Not arguably.....it was.  I don't want to be offensive to you RV fans.  I thought some of you were just wining some about the offense and it was typical fans doing the usual critique of the offense.  I apologize to you.  After watching.....I agree with you.  I simply can't NOT believe that in the year 2022, when a team has pro sets and 3 or 4 split wide every set, and there is LOTS of 1 on 1 coverage (Abingdon surprised me here, they actually played a fair bit of 1 on 1 coverage), that not one screen is thrown, or more hitches, tunnels, or bubbles.  You walk away from that game and you ask yourself, "how is that possible?"  What thought process is going through the offensive staffs brains to actually make it to halftime, and you hope just someone....one person on staff, just one has the thought occur to the brain that states, "you know, we haven't throw a screen in this game."  Evidently, that thought just continues to not occur.  It's mind boggling.

Credit the RV staff for adjusting in the 2nd/3rd qtr with some of the shallow crossing patterns, but still I don't see any quick hitches to the athletes.  Literally, snap ball, QB takes one step drop, and release the football to the sidelines.  That just doesn't seem to happen at RV, and if does, I've missed it.  RV has all the athletes needed at the skilled positions to make that successful.  We saw that with the shallow crosses which take much longer to develop, but when the WR catches the ball, the first defender nearly always misses.  Just my opinion, but I agree with you on the offensive play selection.  

You are correct.   I try not to be negative especially to my own team but something has got to change.   Someone said it earlier we should have blown out every opponent to date.   We can’t because we don’t know what we are doing offensively.  We’ve done the things we have done because of the athletes we have that just go make the plays and the defense. 

11 minutes ago, Backpack said:

You are correct.   I try not to be negative especially to my own team but something has got to change.   Someone said it earlier we should have blown out every opponent to date.   We can’t because we don’t know what we are doing offensively.  We’ve done the things we have done because of the athletes we have that just go make the plays and the defense. 

Even super talented teams that are clicking find themselves in games.  Ask Graham against Union and Bluefield this year, or Radford against Floyd.  What really throws me some is that Ridgeview, in my opinion, is very, very well coached in all aspects of the game, in my opinion, except play selection/design offensively.  Even on plays where you would expect a screen or hitch, the route running and the blocking technique appears to be very good.  The defensive technique, tackling, blocking all seem to be very dam& good.  It's just the offensive play selection that seems completely out of sink.  When you have play selection out of sink, you always generally have rhythm that's out of sink, and it seems like RV rarely gets an offensive rhythm or flow in the games I've seen em on NFHS.  

Jimmy Johnson was the first coach I ever heard say on TV back in the mid 80's at Univ of Miami, "get the football to your athletes, and if the opponent can stop our athletes for 4 quarters, then they deserve to win, but they're gonna have to do that for 4 quarters, because our athletes are touching the football every play."  That quote is not exact, but it's very, very close.  He echoed it multiple times at Dallas.  Stop worrying about the 50 yd post or flag route or "the bomb" and get the ball to your athletes on the edge within 2 seconds of when the football is snapped.  Simple, simple, simple rule that has held up and proved itself for over a generation now, and some coaches offensively just refuse to accept it.  Now, it's one thing if you DON'T have the athletes.  Ridgeview in 2022 certainly does.

3 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Even super talented teams that are clicking find themselves in games.  Ask Graham against Union and Bluefield this year, or Radford against Floyd.  What really throws me some is that Ridgeview, in my opinion, is very, very well coached in all aspect of the game except play selection/design offensively.  Even on play where you would expect a screen or hitch, the route running and the blocking technique appears to be very good.  The defensive technique, tackling, blocking all seem to be very dam& good.  It's just the offensive play selection that seems completely out of sink.  When you have play selection out of sink, you always generally have rhythm that's out of sink, and it seems like RV rarely gets an offensive rhythm or flow in the games I've seen em on NFHS.  

Jimmy Johnson was the first coach I ever heard say on TV back in the mid 80's at Univ of Miami, "get the football to your athletes, and if the opponent can stop our athletes for 4 quarters, then they deserve to win, but they're gonna have to do that for 4 quarters, because our athletes are touching the football every play."  That quote is not exact, but it's very, very close.  He echoed it multiple times at Dallas.  Stop worrying about the 50 yd post or flag route or "the bomb" and get the ball to your athletes on the edge within 2 seconds of win the football is snapped.  Simple, simple, simple rule that has held up and proved itself for over a generation now, and some coaches offensively just refuse to accept it.  Now, it's one thing if you DON'T have the athletes.  Ridgeview in 2022 certainly does.

Very well said and the point I was making earlier. Get the ball to the playmakers quickly and in space. Didn’t like JJ as a coach at the U but he was spot on. They had the special athletes and won a lot of game’s playing with that mindset.

8 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Even super talented teams that are clicking find themselves in games.  Ask Graham against Union and Bluefield this year, or Radford against Floyd.  What really throws me some is that Ridgeview, in my opinion, is very, very well coached in all aspect of the game except play selection/design offensively.  Even on play where you would expect a screen or hitch, the route running and the blocking technique appears to be very good.  The defensive technique, tackling, blocking all seem to be very dam& good.  It's just the offensive play selection that seems completely out of sink.  When you have play selection out of sink, you always generally have rhythm that's out of sink, and it seems like RV rarely gets an offensive rhythm or flow in the games I've seen em on NFHS.  

Jimmy Johnson was the first coach I ever heard say on TV back in the mid 80's at Univ of Miami, "get the football to your athletes, and if the opponent can stop our athletes for 4 quarters, then they deserve to win, but they're gonna have to do that for 4 quarters, because our athletes are touching the football every play."  That quote is not exact, but it's very, very close.  He echoed it multiple times at Dallas.  Stop worrying about the 50 yd post or flag route or "the bomb" and get the ball to your athletes on the edge within 2 seconds of win the football is snapped.  Simple, simple, simple rule that has held up and proved itself for over a generation now, and some coaches offensively just refuse to accept it.  Now, it's one thing if you DON'T have the athletes.  Ridgeview in 2022 certainly does.

I’m no offensive mastermind but I certainly would think that’s the main goal for most teams-to get the ball to their athletes and let them make a play.   Not us.  We chuck it 40 yards down field and hope they can run under either a ball way over thrown or come back to one that’s under thrown.   

Just now, Backpack said:

I’m no offensive mastermind but I certainly would think that’s the main goal for most teams-to get the ball to their athletes and let them make a play.   Not us.  We chuck it 40 yards down field and hope they can run under either a ball way over thrown or come back to one that’s under thrown.   

Same here.  I'm an average mind at best, but common sense tells me I should probably listen to the great coaches who have echoed those words.  If they have said it, and then done it, and then won many titles that way, then I take their word for it.  I think some coaches at the High School Level get so conservative.  They are so scared of the what if's...turnovers...that those things like screens, hitches, bubbles, and tunnel routes often aren't called.  That is also rationale.  It's a rationale approach because turnovers can happen, but where it gets a bit unreasonable is when you have superior athletes where it's obviously lob-sided in athletic talent, and where you get so conservative you do NOT give your team the best chance to win.  A team like Floyd County tonight against Radford had the perfect plan.  They played conservative which is their strong point.  Run the ball and throw it very, very little because the odds of a pick are very very high based on the talent on the other side of the field.  That's rationale and reasonable and freaking smart.  But, for a team like Ridgeview, where those kids tonight from Abingdon are not winning a footrace against the 3 that RV has split out wide, and to not get them the ball, which gives RV is best chance of scoring, but settling for conservative stuff, is just not a good look in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Backpack said:

The fact that Beavers doesn’t touch the ball a minimum of 15 times a game is coaching malpractice.  

Worst offensive play calling. You just throw deep balls.  Have 2-3 players running the same route on the same side. Where's the short passes, screens and etc?? Will not make it much further 

9 minutes ago, SWVA_HOKIE said:

I am convinced Bandana is Marty Smith still following area football and prepping for Marty and McGhee!  I love the insight he brings!

I would take Marty money any day!  I know Marty well though.  Still pretty close after all these years and that dude is as humble in real life as he is on TV.  He hasn't changed a bit.   We did a whole lot of tubing and fishing on the New River as kids.  Great football player in his own right.  He's still tied to the area and gets back here a lot more than people think.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

My man!  Welcome to the pain of watching RV’s offense and seeing what it could be.  There isn’t anything more frustrating than watching this every Friday night.  Tonight they ran up the middle on first down about 80-90% and probably averaged 1.5 yards a rush.  They have no plan or patience to move the ball down the field.  The deep bombs are maddening and they will call and throw that against two deep safeties and double coverage.  When you see that coverage you throw under it until they come up.  They could destroy teams with a comeback to Beavers or a 15-20 yard dig.  Same with the Counts kid.  Work the Hill kid on the OLBs and in between the hashes. They have never ran a double move to my knowledge.  They don’t have a screen game….had the best screen game in SWVA last year…..threw it all out with the annual coaching change.  The problem is this staff is too damn stubborn to make the changes it needs to make.  Wolfpack fans are begging them to get it together.  The defense and DC is carrying this season.  I promise you one thing….Snake Palmer isn’t scared of THIS offense one bit.  

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

The fact that Beavers doesn’t touch the ball a minimum of 15 times a game is coaching malpractice.  

Lol…..kid gets around 4-5 touches a game.  How do you contain Beavers?  You don’t have to, RV will do it for you.  Counts kid is very capable and a mismatch and he gets it 3-4 times.  But they will run it up the middle 20 times for 35 yards.  Tonight was a night that Beavers should have had 10 receptions and Counts about 7 and Hill the same.  I’m sure this is not the offense or usage they envisioned for their last go round.  The QB can’t get into any sort of rhythm as this is the worst play calling for a QB.  

Man i hollared so much tonight at Stanley to quit throwing the bombs and lets have a short passing game and use our athletes in space.  I think he may have done it one or two series.   Then it seemed like every first down we tried to run the ball up the middle. I bet we tried it 15 times and didn’t get 15 yds.  I honestly do not see what they see.   I mean this may be the best team that ever comes through Ridgeview and i have heard that Hill, O’Quinn, Beavers and a couple of more have went and talked to him about the play calling and you see how that turned out.  I would just hate for them to have there season end because the Head Coach is letting his son call plays with a team that has a potential to make a deep run.  We was real lucky tonight.  If Coach Grant had not had a Awesome Defensive Gameplan we would of left Abingdon 7-1. But the boys pulled it off and we head to Bluefield next week and we can only hope maybe they will call the game a lil better.   BTW i can barely talked i hollared so much!   

I was at this game. I shave my head and I swear to you I had hair growing just so I could pull it out!! RV’s offensive play calling was so offensive to our amazing offensive athletes. They do not give these super talented players a chance to make plays. Everything I have read here that’s post-game comments are so on point. Every week RV has to fight extra hard to win when they could literally destroy most teams they have played and been done by mid-third quarter of play. They put O’Quinn in such a vulnerable position and take our playmakers out of the game by the constant routine of the same plays that do not work. RV offensive coaches….I beg you to reflect and change your system of play calling to support what these start athletes can do for this team before this season ends without these hard working players truly making as far as they certainly can. 

10 minutes ago, Packman said:

Man i hollared so much tonight at Stanley to quit throwing the bombs and lets have a short passing game and use our athletes in space.  I think he may have done it one or two series.   Then it seemed like every first down we tried to run the ball up the middle. I bet we tried it 15 times and didn’t get 15 yds.  I honestly do not see what they see.   I mean this may be the best team that ever comes through Ridgeview and i have heard that Hill, O’Quinn, Beavers and a couple of more have went and talked to him about the play calling and you see how that turned out.  I would just hate for them to have there season end because the Head Coach is letting his son call plays with a team that has a potential to make a deep run.  We was real lucky tonight.  If Coach Grant had not had a Awesome Defensive Gameplan we would of left Abingdon 7-1. But the boys pulled it off and we head to Bluefield next week and we can only hope maybe they will call the game a lil better.   BTW i can barely talked i hollared so much!   

Absolutely agree!