Power points

MT FAN 91

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

What a flawed playoff system we have when 2-4 Giles is a #5 seed in the region

The volume that's allowed in is the major problem I have with it. Subtract 4 of the 8 teams allowed in for each region and the system would be a whole lot better.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The volume that's allowed in is the major problem I have with it. Subtract 4 of the 8 teams allowed in for each region and the system would be a whole lot better.

It's probably better now than it was previously but I agree 8 is too many. I remember a time where a district winner was an automatic playoff birth and that system screwed over some really good teams. Grayson winning the old MED at 5-5 would knock out a 9-1 Glenvar or Giles. There was a pioneer district team that would always knock out a 3rivers district team too because they were in a district with lower level schools. Galax lost an all-star running back in a 1st round game a few years ago against Bland that almost sent Narrows to their 2nd State semifinals ever.  

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I just think 8 is too many when your 5th team is currently 2-4.....pathetic system IMO 

If it helps at all, they are about to be 2-5??? They did beat a way larger school and one that's not lost a game otherwise 

11 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

If it helps at all, they are about to be 2-5??? They did beat a way larger school and one that's not lost a game otherwise 

A big school that can barely score a point much less win a game...and a soon to be 9-1 team that's scheduled isn't very good....still not enough IMO to be a playoff team

17 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I think they should cut it to 6 and give the top 2 seeds a bye week. 

Or even the top 5 and let the 1 seed have a bye. It would kinda split the difference and reward the #1

6 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

It's probably better now than it was previously but I agree 8 is too many. I remember a time where a district winner was an automatic playoff birth and that system screwed over some really good teams. Grayson winning the old MED at 5-5 would knock out a 9-1 Glenvar or Giles. There was a pioneer district team that would always knock out a 3rivers district team too because they were in a district with lower level schools. Galax lost an all-star running back in a 1st round game a few years ago against Bland that almost sent Narrows to their 2nd State semifinals ever.  

Agree 100 percent on district winners not getting in. I never liked the concept.  Some would say, "if you win your district, then by God, you deserve to be in." Ummm, no you don't if your district has 4 other teams that suck something God awful. 

Rather than seeing fewer teams get playoff bids in the current classification structure we have. I’d prefer to have fewer classifications. 

Reduce the number of classifications from 6 to 4. Classify teams based on an algorithm similar to North Carolina. The smallest classification is reserved for the least competitive programs regardless of the number of schools.  

Everyone else gets divided evenly in the 3 remaining classifications. 

@sixcat

So 1-4A, 1A champ would be the best of the worst and the rest are legit champs based on enrollment. Idk about that. I sure wouldn't celebrate as 1A champs. Then the next season the 1A champs are rewarded with being placed in their actual classification based on enrollment, just to go back to being non-competitive? 

25 minutes ago, redtiger said:

@sixcat

So 1-4A, 1A champ would be the best of the worst and the rest are legit champs based on enrollment. Idk about that. I sure wouldn't celebrate as 1A champs. Then the next season the 1A champs are rewarded with being placed in their actual classification based on enrollment, just to go back to being non-competitive? 

I don't have time to go into all of the intricate details and my explanation was overly simplistic of a much more complex and nuanced system. Maybe living on the North Carolina state line, having local TV coverage come from both NC and VA, having several friends affiliated with various sports in NC, and having followed the progress of most NCHSAA happenings most of my life, I sometimes assume others have invested some time in researching that new system as I have. 

I couldn't recommend doing that more. It's really a forward-thinking approach to a complex issue. 

Here is a good place to start.  

Here's my proposal, which I think would be equal parts fun and fair.

(1) Reduce the number of classifications from 6 to 4.  Initially, divide the classifications strictly by population.  There are 317 high schools in Virginia, so the top 3 classes (which I will call Class A, Class B, and Class C) will have 80 schools each, while Class D will have 77 schools.  

(2) Divide the 80 (or 77) schools within each Class into East/West Regions (for Class B, Class C, and Class D) or North/South Regions (for Class A).  40 schools will be assigned to each region (except for Class D East Region, which will have 37 schools).  The Regions will be purely based on geography.  If you are the 37th westernmost school in Class C, you are in the West Region of Class C.  Class D will, by definition, include the schools like Council, Highland, etc. which do not field football teams.  Hence, Class D will likely never have a perfect "40" teams in each Region.

(3) Playoff seeding will be determined based upon VHSL Power Points, which would be slightly reformulated.  For Class A, wins will have a base score of 26 and losses will have a base score of 14.  For Class B, wins will have a base score of 24 and losses will have a base score of 12.  For Class C, wins will have a base score of 22 and losses will have a base score of 10.  For Class D, wins will have a base score of 20 and losses will have a base score of 8.  Rider points would remain the same: wins by a team that Team X defeated are worth 2 additional points per win, while wins by a team that defeated Team X are worth 1 additional point per win.  Out-of-state games would be based upon enrollment alone.  If Bluefield High School has an enrollment that places it within the 3rd quartile of Virginia high schools, it will be treated as a Class C game.

(4) The top 16 teams from each Region will make the playoffs, straight bracket style.  The winner or the East/North Region will play the winner of the West/South Region for the Class Championship.

(5) Here's where it gets fun and exciting.  The top 4 teams per Region, based upon playoff performance, will promote to the Class above them for the next season.  Stated differently, if you make the Region Semifinals, you move up a Class for the next season.  If you are in Class C, and you lose in the West Region finals, you will be bumped up to Class B for the next season.  Likewise, the bottom 4 teams per Region, based upon Power Points, will demote to the Class below them for the next season.  If you go 0-10 and are last in Class B, East Region, your school demotes to Class C, East Region for the next season, where in theory you will play lighter competition.

Over time, this should create a nice balance in competition while making the earning of a state championship more meaningful for everyone involved.  Likewise, there would be no need to calibrate the Classes by enrollment every 2 years, which is a pain in the hindquarters: you do it once, and it sustains itself.  The only thing anyone from the VHSL would have to do is to split the schools into regions each year, which is pretty simple if you have a ruler and pencil.  

Most of the schools in SWVA would start in Class D.  John Battle, Marion, Virginia, Central, Gate City, Union, Lee, Richlands, and Abingdon would start in Class C (as would Appomattox).  Pulaski County would start in Class B.  Patrick Henry (Roanoke) is the westernmost school that would start in Class A.  Over time, most of the SWVA schools would find themselves clumped back together in Class C and Class D.  The historically strong programs (Graham, Union) would probably find themselves in Class B over time, with a possible foray or two into Class A should there be a run of athletes like Graham has had over the last 5-6 years.  It would also create some special seasons for schools like Tazewell.  Imagine the 2023 Bulldogs, who should be pretty good, playing in a Class without having to face Ridgeview, Radford, Graham, Riverheads, or any of the teams above in Class C in the playoffs.  It gives each school the opportunity to excel if they are closer to the top of their Class.  Further, teams in Class C and Class D can play each other, though it would benefit Class D teams more than Class C.

It's not a perfect plan, but it beats what we have in place.  Of course, the VHSL would never consider this.

2 minutes ago, Tigers_07 said:

I got one question about the power points. It probably won't happen, but say if Honaker was to wins the rest of their games, where would they be ranked at based on power points

A solid 5th most likely.