Power points

MT FAN 91

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Easy solution, keep it the same except top 6 teams 1 and 2 get a bye and cross bracket 3rd and 4th then have it set which way it will go for the 1 and 2 alternating years.

No easy solution someone would complain about 2 teams getting a bye and not just 1.  People gonna complain no matter what they do.

Honest question here. Does anybody really think there's a chance VHSL would reduce the number of classifications? There may be members who support the general concept, but only until it impacts their school directly.  I just don't see enough members willing to increase the number of teams they compete against for regional and state titles.  I don't support expansion, but I think there's a much better chance we'd see additional classifications in the future.  I've noticed this is the trend in some other states. 

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Honest question here. Does anybody really think there's a chance VHSL would reduce the number of classifications? There may be members who support the general concept, but only until it impacts their school directly.  I just don't see enough members willing to increase the number of teams they compete against for regional and state titles.  I don't support expansion, but I think there's a much better chance we'd see additional classifications in the future.  I've noticed this is the trend in some other states. 

No. I don't see it ever being reduced unless we go to some sort of regional school system that boosts enrollment to a minimum ADM of 500 or so students.

Georgia and Florida have what, 7 classifications? Even Tennessee, with a smaller population than VA, has 6 classifications for public schools and 2 for private.

The disparity in enrollment between the top and bottom 10% of schools in VA is simply too great for 4 classifications anytime soon.

Private should have to play up a class no matter what she of they completely just dominate then go up 2. Getting nothing from it but robbing some kids of state titles. Consolidation over time will reduce the system but look how long its taken for small communities to give up their respective schools.  Never in favor of it,  but it's happening and economically better for school but not always for community. 

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

No. I don't see it ever being reduced unless we go to some sort of regional school system that boosts enrollment to a minimum ADM of 500 or so students.

Georgia and Florida have what, 7 classifications? Even Tennessee, with a smaller population than VA, has 6 classifications for public schools and 2 for private.

The disparity in enrollment between the top and bottom 10% of schools in VA is simply too great for 4 classifications anytime soon.

Yelp. Also, Alabama and Oklahoma both have 7 classifications despite a smaller population than Virginia. 

Just be glad we don't have Oklahoma's classifications. 1A and 2A, the smallest 11-man divisions, have 62 and 64 teams respectively. 3A,4A and 5A, the mid-size schools, each have 32 teams. The largest divisions, 6A-I and 6A-II, only have 16 teams each.

Seems like the biggest complaint we have is playing 15 games instead of 14.  Only changes I’d like to see is maybe adding a 7 man football division for these schools that can’t finish season because of small enrollments.  

Sadly. virtually every American sports league has diluted their post-season field to increase revenue. Here's a sample of leagues with their original number of playoff teams compared to present day: NCAA BBall-8 to 68; NCAA Football Playoffs-2 to 4 with plans in place to move to 8 or even 12 teams; NBA-6 to 16 teams; MLB-2 to 12; NFL-2 to 14. VHSL has followed the same trend since the late 1970s, which is why I'm doubtful we'll ever see contraction of playoff teams or classifications. 

14 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Seems like the biggest complaint we have is playing 15 games instead of 14.  Only changes I’d like to see is maybe adding a 7 man football division for these schools that can’t finish season because of small enrollments.  

itz spelld Dook.   Me agwee me agwee.  Unc Vern luveth 7 men bawl .  hee wunts green wadder unit to play dare.  7 man bawl it iz.

17 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

The 15 games is a bit much and to be honest, the season shouldn’t be going into December. If king for the day Id implement the following:

1) Start one week earlier (same as TN and KY)

2) Look at eliminating bye week or reducing to one scrimmage

3) Reduce playoffs to top 6 teams with top two seeds getting a bye. (Reduces some teams by a game)

Push for championship to be played on Thanksgiving weekend.  Football greatly affects the winter sports (specifically basketball and to a lesser degree Wrestling) and those kids are playing in 20 degree weather in early December.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

The 15 games is a bit much and to be honest, the season shouldn’t be going into December. If king for the day Id implement the following:

1) Start one week earlier (same as TN and KY)

2) Look at eliminating bye week or reducing to one scrimmage

3) Reduce playoffs to top 6 teams with top two seeds getting a bye. (Reduces some teams by a game)

Push for championship to be played on Thanksgiving weekend.  Football greatly affects the winter sports (specifically basketball and to a lesser degree Wrestling) and those kids are playing in 20 degree weather in early December.  

I’d be fine with that but money talks