Abingdon vs Union

TaterHater

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

A win at Bullit is always a hard out but Abingdon almost beat Ridgeview so I won’t be surprised if it’s a close one that comes down to the wire. Tons of penalties on Union could swing it to the Falcons. 

And there will be a ton thrown where use to it at this point.  I’ve not seen a player cross the goal line this year too busy looking for a flag 

One score game more than likely. Union appears to be playing a little more soundly as of late.  Penalty yards kept wise alive and killed their own drivers last game along a couple of busted plays. Abingdon big, strong,  fast,  but honestly looked a little soft.  They're still a solid ball team that gave it away VS rv. They had several chances. Looked very similar to union's past couple losses. Good luck

28-27  ?

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

One score game more than likely. Union appears to be playing a little more soundly as of late.  Penalty yards kept wise alive and killed their own drivers last game along a couple of busted plays. Abingdon big, strong,  fast,  but honestly looked a little soft.  They're still a solid ball team that gave it away VS rv. They had several chances. Looked very similar to union's past couple losses. Good luck

28-27  ?

Not sure where you got the soft impression other than that’s the stereotype given to Abingdon over the  years.  The RV kids said that Abingdon was the most physical team they’ve played against this year.  The Falcons were called for several targeting and plain ole dirty plays and on their pick route their kid took a dangerous shot at a RV kids head with his elbow in a crack back. The whole night they absolutely were going for head shots.  Maybe they just really dislike RV but I wouldn’t call them soft.  Cheap shot artists perhaps.  

Hopefully it is a clean game.  Abingdon doesn’t have a passing game and with the exception of a handful of plays we’re containment was lost the RV defense did a good job of getting them off the field.  I expect that the key for Union will be to throw it enough to keep them honest. This should be a good game.

Maybe soft is the wrong word.  Just didn't seem that physical watching it.  I thought Ridgeview looked more physical than abingdon. Cheap shots,  several low blocks not called.  it don't mean you're physical because you crackback. Just didn't see a lot of fb/hb busting up in there and smashing lb's. #40 #10 at lb at times was pretty tough but overall they looked like they didn't want to mix it up much and swap paint but who does anymore?  Line play was tough at times,  I like 65 more than Lucas. They'll bring their a- game to the park. I think everyone does,  it's a tough place to walk out of with a W. Hope for a clean game,  and for the love of God a good and a consistent officiating crew on these big games.  

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Union has been way too inconsistent this year to predict anything about this game. All I can do is hope for a win, 1 point or 20 points, doesn't matter.

Playing at the Park has to be worth a few points, I hope.

Home field hasn't been that great last couple years imo.  I'm seeing less and less people each week and now with the weather cooling it'll only get smaller.  Guess we got spoiled with the teams in the mid to late teens

7 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Home field hasn't been that great last couple years imo.  I'm seeing less and less people each week and now with the weather cooling it'll only get smaller.  Guess we got spoiled with the teams in the mid to late teens

I can't argue that point. Lot of frustration in the stands this year.

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Maybe soft is the wrong word.  Just didn't seem that physical watching it.  I thought Ridgeview looked more physical than abingdon. Cheap shots,  several low blocks not called.  it don't mean you're physical because you crackback. Just didn't see a lot of fb/hb busting up in there and smashing lb's. #40 #10 at lb at times was pretty tough but overall they looked like they didn't want to mix it up much and swap paint but who does anymore?  Line play was tough at times,  I like 65 more than Lucas. They'll bring their a- game to the park. I think everyone does,  it's a tough place to walk out of with a W. Hope for a clean game,  and for the love of God a good and a consistent officiating crew on these big games.  

Shut down the QB running game and you shut them down.  That being said watch them come out and throw it.  Lol.  

3 hours ago, BlueDevilVolMan said:

What I look for in prediction is simple:

What are the reasons to pick Union over Abingdon or vice versa?

That sounds simple, but Union is anything but simple. Play like the '85 Bears one week and "Our Lady of Perpetual Health" CreamPuffs the next.

The Bears have made strides in several areas, but they still have improvements to make. I think it's a tossup with only the slightest edge to Union.

The most consistent area has been the run defense. If Abingdon is as limited to that as they appear that might be a plus.

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

That sounds simple, but Union is anything but simple. Play like the '85 Bears one week and "Our Lady of Perpetual Health" CreamPuffs the next.

The Bears have made strides in several areas, but they still have improvements to make. I think it's a tossup with only the slightest edge to Union.

The most consistent area has been the run defense. If Abingdon is as limited to that as they appear that might be a plus.

So there’s a lot of things to think about.

What are both teams’ tendencies? Does Union do better at home or away? 

If you were to pick, whom would you pick? I hear Union is a running team. How does Abingdon do against the run?

8 minutes ago, BlueDevilVolMan said:

If you were to pick, whom would you pick? I hear Union is a running team. How does Abingdon do against the run?

Unfortunately, I've been unable to watch Abingdon myself, so I'm not really sure what they have going on.

Union is a run heavy team, and sometimes they look good and sometimes they don't, even within the same game.

Definitely a home team, which will help. I think it's a tossup.

2 hours ago, BlueDevilVolMan said:

Unions biggest problem is themselves penalties penalties and penalties 

I am so impressed and proud of the performance tonight. Union played with confidence, threw the ball all over the field, and the defense was extremely physical and looking to make a play on the ball everytime. I know abingdon isn’t the abingdon of the last few years but Union has played worse teams this season and had nowhere near the performance. This is what we have all been ranting and raving about all season. For whatever reason it seems the coaching staff, Atleast for tonight, turned a 180 and changed it all around. I still think Graham is the favorite, but based on what I saw tonight (maybe premature I know) I will take Union to win at Legion field or Rose Ridge. 

11 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I am so impressed and proud of the performance tonight. Union played with confidence, threw the ball all over the field, and the defense was extremely physical and looking to make a play on the ball everytime. I know abingdon isn’t the abingdon of the last few years but Union has played worse teams this season and had nowhere near the performance. This is what we have all been ranting and raving about all season. For whatever reason it seems the coaching staff, Atleast for tonight, turned a 180 and changed it all around. I still think Graham is the favorite, but based on what I saw tonight (maybe premature I know) I will take Union to win at Legion field or Rose Ridge. 

Maybe they finally started listening to us. Haha 

They done good the blocking in the middle is still awful but the outside runs and quick passes made up for it tonight. 

The playoffs are gonna be a totally different though gonna have to step it up. Turner needs to have a middle drill and find  the best blockers and put them on the field. We are gonna have to run the middle post season.

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Best game Bears have played all year. If they are hitting their stride, gonna be a tough out. 

Said it all year. Just like Glenvar. 3 loss team that runs the ball well, lost close in 3 games or fairly close, inexperience and youth on D growing up, and the weather is getting colder and running teams love the cold. People made it a 2 team race in the region all year with Graham and RV and its always been a 3 team race imo. (I know GC is good and can win the district) but GC is 1 year away imo.