District Membership History

V-Cats

Could we put together a list of the membership history of various districts? I would love to know the timeline of the Southwest District, Lonesome Pine, etc.

For example: 

Clinch Mountain District/Mountain 7/Mountain:

2007-2014: Gate City, John Battle, Lebanon, Lee High, Virginia High

2015-2016: Gate City, John Battle, Lee High, Ridgeview, Union, Wise Central

2017-present: Abingdon, Gate City, John Battle, Lee High, Ridgeview, Union, Wise Central

The BDD was formed in the 1978-79 season,     

Council, Haysi, Garden, Whitewood, St.Paul, Pocahontas,  Hurley,  were the original members.

St. Paul left in late 80's or early 90's,  not sure on the exact year,  

Honaker joined in the early 90's,  

Poca left 97-98 range,  

Whitewood and Garden consolidated in 2001 and formed Twin Valley 

Grundy joined in 2012 .

Haysi consolidated in dickenson county and left in 2012

I know Council won the first regular season boys basketball,  i think Garden upset them in the district tourney that year

I am not sure on the other sports first champions but guessing i would say,  

Football=    Hurley,    should have been during the David Davis years

Girls Basketball,  ??  Hurley again would be my guess on this one

Baseball,  ??    prob St. Paul,   I think Council is the only BDD school to ever beat St. Paul at St. Paul while they were a member of the BDD

Softball,    Council dominated the BDD for pretty much the 80's

does anybody know for sure on any of these??

The Southwest District was formed in 1956, basically as a mechanism to make schools in this part of the Commonwealth eligible for Division I state championships.  I kind of lost track after the turn of the 21st century, but following is a pretty accurate account through 2003.

1956:  Graham, Grundy, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell, and Virginia High

1957-1964:  Graham, Grundy, Marion, Richlands, Saltville, Tazewell, and Virginia High  (* Gate City was an "affiliate member" in 1959 and 1960)

1965-1969:  Graham, Grundy, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell, and Virginia High

1970-1979: Abingdon, Gate City, Graham, Grundy, John Battle, Marion, Patrick Henry, Richlands, Tazewell, and Virginia High.

1980-1985:  Abingdon, Gate City, Graham, Grundy, John Battle, Lebanon, Marion, Patrick Henry, Richlands, Tazewell, and Virginia High.

1986-1993:  Graham, Grundy, Lebanon, Richlands, and Tazewell

1994-1995:  Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell

1996-2003:  Carroll County, Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell

This is what I have for the Lonesome Pine. 

1960-61: District formed when the VHSL added a Group I-B. Appalachia, Clintwood, Coeburn, Ervinton, Norton, Powell Valley, Pound, Wise, Jonesville, Pennington Gap, St. Charles were original members. Previously these teams had played in Group II, District 8.

1961-62: Gate City joined

1963-64: Haysi joined. Jonesville, Pennington Gap, St. Charles left.

1965-66: Pennington Gap rejoined

1970-1971: Big VHSL realignment. Pennington Gap and Gate City left.

1972-1973: Haysi left

1986-1987: Ervinton left

2001-2002: Gate City joined

2007-2008: Gate City and Coeburn left

2011-2012: Union replaced Powell Valley and Appalachia. Wise Central replaced JJ Kelly and Pound.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:19 PM, stantheman said:

The BDD was formed in the 1978-79 season,     

Council, Haysi, Garden, Whitewood, St.Paul, Pocahontas,  Hurley,  were the original members.

St. Paul left in late 80's or early 90's,  not sure on the exact year,  

Honaker joined in the early 90's,  

Poca left 97-98 range,  

Whitewood and Garden consolidated in 2001 and formed Twin Valley 

Grundy joined in 2012 .

Haysi consolidated in dickenson county and left in 2012

I know Council won the first regular season boys basketball,  i think Garden upset them in the district tourney that year

I am not sure on the other sports first champions but guessing i would say,  

Football=    Hurley,    should have been during the David Davis years

Girls Basketball,  ??  Hurley again would be my guess on this one

Baseball,  ??    prob St. Paul,   I think Council is the only BDD school to ever beat St. Paul at St. Paul while they were a member of the BDD

Softball,    Council dominated the BDD for pretty much the 80's

does anybody know for sure on any of these??

Pocy won the first district championship in football. I don't think Pocy was in the BDD very long but I don't know that.

Honaker joined in the late 80s I believe, their move from Region C to Region D was necessitated by consolidation in Lee County which I believe was in '89 in an effort to balance the regions. I think St Paul left for the Cumberland at the same time. 

I grew up around the old New River District (AA) and the Mountain Empire District (A). 

The NRD when I was a kid was...
Blacksburg
Carroll County
Christiansburg
Floyd County
Galax
George Wythe
Giles
Narrows
Radford

The MED when I was a kid was...
Auburn
Fries
Fort Chiswell
Independence
Shawsville
Bland, Rocky Gap and Mount Rogers played most sports other than football.

The old NRD was a gauntlet. Floyd left the NRD for the MED beginning with the 1980/1981 school year. Galax followed suit for the 1984/1985 school year. Narrows came to the MED in 1988/1989 school year. Which was the same year Independence, Fries and Mount Rogers consolidated into Grayson County.  

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

Pocy won the first district championship in football. I don't think Pocy was in the BDD very long but I don't know that.

Honaker joined in the late 80s I believe, their move from Region C to Region D was necessitated by consolidation in Lee County which I believe was in '89 in an effort to balance the regions. I think St Paul left for the Cumberland at the same time. 

pocy didn't leave until the mid to late 90's,  Rasnake's, Ratliff and Breeding competed with them for district championships a couple years,  Pocy could have easily won the football the first year,  Boys basketball and Softball are the only ones i was sure of,  

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

The old NRD was a gauntlet. Floyd left the NRD for the MED beginning with the 1980/1981 school year. Galax followed suit for the 1984/1985 school year. Narrows came to the MED in 1988/1989 school year. Which was the same year Independence, Fries and Mount Rogers consolidated into Grayson County.  

Yep.  And prior to their consolidation in the mid 1970s you also had Dublin and old Pulaski High School in the mix.  The strength of its components (NRD and SWD) made Region IV football very entertaining in the first 10 years of the new VHSL class system.  Also very competitive.  Region IV teams won half of the state championships in Group AA from 1970-1979 and finished as runner-up once.  (And of course Giles won in 1980, but I was just sticking with a decade reference overall.)

The Dublin/Pulaski consolidation was before my time. Region IV certainly held its own. Especially considering they were often playing state competition against schools with significantly larger enrollments. 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, redtiger said:

You're right, 95 football season was the last in the BDD per fourseasonsfootball

I believe Pocahontas also won the MED in their first year as well. 

may be the second year, but the first year in both districts would be a cool story.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, V-Cats said:

Could we put together a list of the membership history of various districts? I would love to know the timeline of the Southwest District, Lonesome Pine, etc.

For example: 

Clinch Mountain District/Mountain 7/Mountain:

2007-2014: Gate City, John Battle, Lebanon, Lee High, Virginia High

2015-2016: Gate City, John Battle, Lee High, Ridgeview, Union, Wise Central

2017-present: Abingdon, Gate City, John Battle, Lee High, Ridgeview, Union, Wise Central

2007-2014 it was the Highlands District

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/7/2022 at 7:49 AM, sixcat said:

I grew up around the old New River District (AA) and the Mountain Empire District (A). 

The NRD when I was a kid was...
Blacksburg
Carroll County
Christiansburg
Floyd County
Galax
George Wythe
Giles
Narrows
Radford

The MED when I was a kid was...
Auburn
Fries
Fort Chiswell
Independence
Shawsville
Bland, Rocky Gap and Mount Rogers played most sports other than football.

Gauntlet is an accurate description. I remember all those teams being in the "1970s NRD" except for Floyd Co.

6 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Was there a Clinch River district or similar in the early 70s?  I was thinking Twin Springs was in a district with Honaker, Lebanon maybe, St. Paul and Castlewood before they came to the Cumberland around 76 or 77.

I think it might've been called the Clinch Valley District.

There was a Clinch Valley District from 1970-78. Original members were Castlewood, Cleveland, Council, Garden, Honaker, Hurley, Lebanon, Pocahontas, St. Paul, Twin Springs, and Whitewood. Haysi joined in 1972 and Cleveland closed around that time. Twin Springs left a few years later. In 1978 Honaker, Castlewood, and Lebanon left for the Hogoheegee and the remaining schools became the Black Diamond.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:49 AM, otnorot said:

There was a Clinch Valley District from 1970-78. Original members were Castlewood, Cleveland, Council, Garden, Honaker, Hurley, Lebanon, Pocahontas, St. Paul, Twin Springs, and Whitewood. Haysi joined in 1972 and Cleveland closed around that time. Twin Springs left a few years later. In 1978 Honaker, Castlewood, and Lebanon left for the Hogoheegee and the remaining schools became the Black Diamond.

i think there were more schools than this in the clinch valley district,  I dont think all schools got to play each other in district play each year due to the number of teams,  I think most of the Hogoheegee district schools were also members.  I assume TS left for the cumberland when they did.   

On 12/4/2022 at 2:49 AM, otnorot said:

you wouldn't happen to know Cleveland's mascot and school colors would you?

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

you wouldn't happen to know Cleveland's mascot and school colors would you?

Chiming in...  Pretty sure their colors were a shade of Light Blue and White and their mascot was the Indians.  We played them in basketball there in middle school and they wore uniforms of that color emblazoned with "Cleveland."  I'm assuming those were leftover varsity uniforms from years back.