Richlands @ Virginia High

V-Cats

8449 days

23 years, 1 month, 18 days

5 different presidents

7 different head coaches 

That's how long it's been since Virginia High beat Richlands in football

This year, like many years in the past, looks promising for the Cats. But can they get the monkey off their back?

I myself have a very conflicted relationship with this game as I grew up going to Richlands games thanks to my dad (I've almost certainly been to more Blues games than Cats) & I graduated from Virginia High and was a part of the Bearcat Radio Network for some time

2 hours ago, V-Cats said:

8449 days

23 years, 1 month, 18 days

5 different presidents

7 different head coaches 

That's how long it's been since Virginia High beat Richlands in football

This year, like many years in the past, looks promising for the Cats. But can they get the monkey off their back?

But who’s counting? 😂

I think Jones will definitely be the best athlete on the field but Brown will be possibly second best. I’m not sure if Richlands can stop Jones. He’s just an amazing QB and player. He’s got great ball sense. I know some will disagree but I think he’s probably overall the best QB in SWD. Dylan Brown has carried Richlands and can grind it out. I expect VA High to win but I wouldn’t be shocked if Richlands pulled out a close one. 

I think Va High will out "athlete" Richlands, but the Blues may out power the Bearcats.

Will be interesting to see which advantage wins.

I'm conflicted on who to root for. I like the higher seed possiblity for Union that a Richlands victory brings, but the bracket might be a little better with a Va High win.

2D seeding could come down to something crazy like Eastside beating castlewood but for the most part is being decided by the Cumberland, Black diamond, and hogo. This game will be a deciding factor as well.  Richlands stunt have the record but has played a little tougher schedule. Blues 28 VHS 27

IF Jones connects on the deep shots that he missed last week to Poku then this one can get ugly quick. Brown has the ability to keep it close but he will need a ton of help for Richlands to pull this off. I can see both QB's accounting for 300 yards of total offense but I will take the Bearcats in this one. 

I think Va High should win this game.  Since the turn of the century, I felt this way about 4 other times including last year only to be wrong.  I just don't know what it is, but it seems like the "Hand of God" has just decided he's not going to allow VH to beat Richlands.  I think I'm going with Richlands, somehow, someway.  It was either UVAObs or Gridiron60, one of them wrote that Virginia H hasn't beat Richlands since the Clinton administration.  Now.....that's a long dang time!

I'm hoping Brown isn't the only offense against the Bearcats.  He was gassed last week in 4th qtr against David Crockett.   He has shown what an athlete and playmaker he is, but playing QB, RB, KR and the defensive side of the ball, TO MUCH!  I like the plays where Grimmett was able to move the ball and give Brown a breather.  It has been a disappointing season for the Blues, but I've seen improvement.     If they keep the big plays at bay, and keep Bearcats mostly one dimensional, I think they have a good chance taking the W.  

GO BLUES 🌪️

GO LIONS 🦁

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Would that entail a rematch v GC? I believe Bears would love another crack at them. 

That depends on the outcome of Lee/Abingdon & GC/Ridgeview. The points are incredibly tight between Lee, Union, GC, and VA High right now

If my assumptions are correct & the games fall as I think they will (Lee and Ridgeview victories), a Richlands victory over VHS would produce this: 

3. Lee

4. Union

5. GC

6. VA High

But as always there are so many variables with the rider points that I can't tell you that with a great deal of certainty 

Regardless, tomorrow night is going to be fun as we figure this stuff out

Dylan Brown has given every ounce of himself to a team that would probably be winless if not for him.  I hope he gets justly rewarded when it comes time for postseason player accolades.  He’ll be the best player on the field tonight, even if he doesn’t have Jones’s measurables or Poku’s speed or Thomas’s elusiveness.  One of those kids I’d want in my foxhole were I a coach.

Selfishly, I’m cheering for Richlands, as it would create what I consider to be the ideal playoff bracket.  I just don’t think Richlands has enough horses to stop Virginia High and the number of athletes they can throw at you.

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Dylan Brown has given every ounce of himself to a team that would probably be winless if not for him.  I hope he gets justly rewarded when it comes time for postseason player accolades.  He’ll be the best player on the field tonight, even if he doesn’t have Jones’s measurables or Poku’s speed or Thomas’s elusiveness.  One of those kids I’d want in my foxhole were I a coach.

Selfishly, I’m cheering for Richlands, as it would create what I consider to be the ideal playoff bracket.  I just don’t think Richlands has enough horses to stop Virginia High and the number of athletes they can throw at you.

I always love reading this dude's take on a game.  Dylan Brown is an awesome kid, and he will get accolades.  There is an x factor in this game in terms of a player.  It's just one not one mentioned!  Looking forward to how this game plays out.  

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Excellent take! Dylan is one of those kids whom you can’t help but cheer. You can count on him to give 100 percent. If he continues his college career on the gridiron, some coach would be blessed to have him.