2D First Round: #7 Tazewell @ #2 Ridgeview

SwvaOG

7 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:
 Do the kids that get out of cars with West Va tags at the Hillbilly Market in Bishop and get on the Tazewell bus count as transfers? Maybe Squire and Berwind are part of Tazewell's territory? If I'm not mistaken Tazewell has been the recipient of a couple Graham kids that played football at Graham but elected not to play when they got to Tazewell. 

Meanwhile, poor ole Dickinson county is basically “landlocked” and in the worst geographical position to get the occasional transfer.  Last one I know of was kid from Eastside (lived close to Dickinson county line) that played one year for Pack.  That was about 5 years or so ago.  Other than a kid form Pound….not really feasible for the Pack.  Definite disadvantage, which is a shame because the campus is the nicest in SWVA.

7 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Game has been moved to 1pm Sat.  Smart move especially if you want to throw the ball because you’re not doing that when the fog rolls in. 

Valid question, has anyone switched a game to Sat night?  It always seems like it’s Friday at 7pm or Sat at 1pm.  I know there is a trend to move to Thursday night but I’ve always thought Sat would be interesting (you get the preferred night game format and the benefit of the weekend and having more people to attend.).

I think a Saturday night playoff game would be awesome. 

40 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:
 Do the kids that get out of cars with West Va tags at the Hillbilly Market in Bishop and get on the Tazewell bus count as transfers? Maybe Squire and Berwind are part of Tazewell's territory? If I'm not mistaken Tazewell has been the recipient of a couple Graham kids that played football at Graham but elected not to play when they got to Tazewell. 

Were those kids at the hillbilly market playing for Riverview the year before? If so, then yes. 

52 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Tazewell County has been accepting transfer students for a few years now.  The county gets a number of transfer students each year.

58 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Does this really happen currently? Not casting a stone, but I was always told during the late 80s and early 90s that Tazewell benefited from players that would have played at Big Creek. I was only a kid at the time, so it was easy to believe.  It’s why I never understood all the fuss when the Johnsons came to Richlands.

For some reason I can't quote on people on certain posts. User error I know, just don't think I'm ignoring your comment lol

@tornado99 yes it does still happen. Now whether they play football or any other sport at Tazewell I can't answer that. I get the whole "win with what you got" theory. I'm admittedly old fashioned. Kids I played with from 5 years old until 18 are the kids I want to ride or die with. But, I can definitely see where a kid from Mt. View would want to attend Graham or any other school for that matter thats in this area.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Tazewell has been the beneficiary of some of Graham’s best baseball players through the years.  And yes, there was some recruiting of sorts that happened.  Definitely nothing as brazen as Richlands in the late 2000s/early 2010s or the Graham of current, but it happened.  If you ain’t rubbin’, you ain’t racin’.  

In terms of football…not so much, LOL.

In the 70s and 80's lots of kids in the Springland, Springtown or something like that...an area between the 2 schools had lots of Graham kids go to Tazewell for football, and this happened a whole lot in the 80s and 90s with Big Lou Perry at the Tazewell helm in baseball. 

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

For some reason I can't quote on people on certain posts. User error I know, just don't think I'm ignoring your comment lol

@tornado99 yes it does still happen. Now whether they play football or any other sport at Tazewell I can't answer that. I get the whole "win with what you got" theory. I'm admittedly old fashioned. Kids I played with from 5 years old until 18 are the kids I want to ride or die with. But, I can definitely see where a kid from Mt. View would want to attend Graham or any other school for that matter thats in this area.

Thanks. I’m not making a values judgment myself. I prefer as much home grown talent as possible, but realize some places are more desirable than others for a variety of reasons. I had honestly forgotten about this until reading this post.

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Springville 

The reason about half the Springville kids jumped to Tazewell instead of Graham is that, circa 2000 and before, the kids who were from “town” treated the kids from Springville, Mud Fork, and West Graham like cavemen who just crawled out from underneath a rock.  Tazewell kids didn’t show that sort of tribalism, and it was welcoming and inviting.  

I came within an eyelash of making the jump myself.  To this day, even though I have a Graham diploma and am more “Graham” than folks who might have moved here from WV and stayed in Bluefield a few years, I still feel like a bit of a misfit amongst them.  When you’re 12 years old, you don’t forget how folks treat you.

10 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

For a small fee, those kids can go to Tazewell County and some of them do.

Very, very few in comparison to the kids who come across from Swords Creek/Honaker to Richlands and Bluefield/Bluewell to Graham.  It’s right at 25 minutes for kids from Bishop, WV to get to Tazewell, and they have to cross a couple of mountains on Route 16 to do it.  

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The reason about half the Springville kids jumped to Tazewell instead of Graham is that, circa 2000 and before, the kids who were from “town” treated the kids from Springville, Mud Fork, and West Graham like cavemen who just crawled out from underneath a rock.  Tazewell kids didn’t show that sort of tribalism, and it was welcoming and inviting.  

I came within an eyelash of making the jump myself.  To this day, even though I have a Graham diploma and am more “Graham” than folks who might have moved here from WV and stayed in Bluefield a few years, I still feel like a bit of a misfit amongst them.  When you’re 12 years old, you don’t forget how folks treat you.

I lived in west Graham all my life till high school when we moved downtown.  I never felt like an outsider in school, most kids came to dully for 1st to 3rd then to Graham elementary you had Logan street school but I never was a outsider. But this was way back in 61when I started  school.

4 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Meanwhile, poor ole Dickinson county is basically “landlocked” and in the worst geographical position to get the occasional transfer.  Last one I know of was kid from Eastside (lived close to Dickinson county line) that played one year for Pack.  That was about 5 years or so ago.  Other than a kid form Pound….not really feasible for the Pack.  Definite disadvantage, which is a shame because the campus is the nicest in SWVA.

At least Ridgeview plays with there on County boy's, not like most teams that recruit from other schools, most team's would not be in playoffs,🤣

21 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

I lived in west Graham all my life till high school when we moved downtown.  I never felt like an outsider in school, most kids came to dully for 1st to 3rd then to Graham elementary you had Logan street school but I never was a outsider. But this was way back in 61when I started  school.

It may be a generational thing.  I don’t see my son having that same issue now, thank goodness, but perhaps that’s because all the kids are together from K on up.  It was a very real thing in my parents’ generation and mine.  It manifested itself in ways large and small.

I guess we could all talk about the kids that got away as much as we could talk about the transfers. Layth Ghannam a 4* O-Line recruit that's committed to Tech. Layth is a monster. Left Graham in middle school and moved to Charleston, where he plays for GW. The Jollay brothers that play at GW in Wytheville right now left around the same time. Imagine how good Graham would have been had all 3 of them stayed.

6 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I guess we could all talk about the kids that got away as much as we could talk about the transfers. Layth Ghannam a 4* O-Line recruit that's committed to Tech. Layth is a monster. Left Graham in middle school and moved to Charleston, where he plays for GW. The Jollay brothers that play at GW in Wytheville right now left around the same time. Imagine how good Graham would have been had all 3 of them stayed.

Agree. Imagine if Cam Allen would’ve stayed at Tazewell. 

18 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I'm going to give you Graham boys a name that maybe, even you don't know about, or I would bet some of you haven't heard of him.  Did you know that Graham had a kid in the 80's named David Sweeney that was in the Graham school system up until the 10th grade (played at Graham, started as a sophomore), then moved to Salem, became an All State Defender at Salem, then was recruited by UVA, and became a 3 year starter and All ACC defensive end at UVA?  Coach Rags and his father hunted some, and his father, if I recall correctly, worked for the railroad (Norfolk and Southern) and transfered to the Salem/Roanoke area this kids senior year.