2D First Round: #5 Union @ #4 Gate City

SwvaOG

8 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

The Bears are peaking at the right time and will be looking for payback against the Blue Devils.  Can Gate City bounce back from a disappointing loss against Ridgeview?

It will be closer than RV was because Union doesn't have the explosiveness at WR that RV had, and GCs weakness is speed in open space.  Union wins by 14 points imo.

Union that went to Legion the first time may have disappeared and recent gate city of old may have emerged. It'll be 4 physical quarters, but I believe union may be clicking a little more offensively and defense a little more disciplined. Gate city still playing hard-nosed ball.  Special teams will be huge here i believe. Will depend on how banged up gate city is coming off a bad showing. 

35-20  game

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Union that went to Legion the first time may have disappeared and recent gate city of old may have emerged. It'll be 4 physical quarters, but I believe union may be clicking a little more offensively and defense a little more disciplined. Gate city still playing hard-nosed ball.  Special teams will be huge here i believe. Will depend on how banged up gate city is coming off a bad showing. 

35-20  game

Agree.  Union by 14-20 points.

I think Union has a lot to prove in this game and a bad taste in there mouth from the last time they played. I like the Bears by 2 touchdowns. They are clicking at the right time. I’m a Union fan and was there the last game. Go Bears 

If the bears that have showed up and played the last 3 weeks show up this 1 wont even be close. Now if the bears from week 1 to 7 show up who knows. I'm going Union 38 gate city 7. If it's that close let the revenge tour begin.

The way Union has been this year I could be completely backwards but I believe Union wins comfortably. For the first time in a long time Union came out after their bye week and looked like they used the time to make significant adjustments. It also looks like Gate City has regressed slightly since the epic collapse that went on the last time we were at legion field. 

Union 44 

Gate City 20

5 hours ago, Dawg01 said:

If the bears that have showed up and played the last 3 weeks show up this 1 wont even be close. Now if the bears from week 1 to 7 show up who knows. I'm going Union 38 gate city 7. If it's that close let the revenge tour begin.

Might have to go back on this as the week goes on seems like the bears might have been attacked by the flu bug. Hope it doesn't hit the entire team and the ones who have it get better and can play Friday.

Putting my conspiracy hat on here…kinda not really because I know how high school football coaches are.  How many of those kids with flu actually are positive for COVID?  The flu virtually disappeared the last two years and this year it’s back something fierce.  A coach knows a kid tests positive for COVID….whole different dilemma.  That’s a tough integrity issue for the coaches and staff. 
This cost a very good RV team that was mixing it’s young passing game with Trenton Adkins’ rushing,  a chance to play in the playoffs. I liked that RV team against Union, Central or Graham that year.  

I am being honest here. I wouldn't report it.  Period! Covid isn't leaving. It's here for life.  If you have the flu and/or Covid and you feel like playing, then you are playing.

Why the above? The risk to the kid? If he's too unhealthy, he is NOT playing, but if feels fine, it's no increased risk to him.

Now the controversial but True statement. He is also Not an increased risk to his teammates or the community. We have seen this picture. Quarantine, isolation does not effectively lower than transmission of Covid to the general population unless you are older and already more isolated. The kid with Covid has exposed HUNDREDS by the time the positive result is in. We aren't slowing the Covid thing down. A virus will DO, what a Virus will DO. The kids that the Covid kid is playing with on the field? They were already exposed to Covid by some other student 10 times over that same day in school before the game.

Just my opinion. Society is too soft and it's one thing if overwhelming data is present, but it's not. With lockdowns, which we're a good attempt that I agreed with initially, they haven't worked. Covid DID what Covid was going to do and there was no stopping it other than of course, medications. If we get medication developed that KILLS the virus, then Covid becomes on the ropes and in trouble. 

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Putting my conspiracy hat on here…kinda not really because I know how high school football coaches are.  How many of those kids with flu actually are positive for COVID?  The flu virtually disappeared the last two years and this year it’s back something fierce.  A coach knows a kid tests positive for COVID….whole different dilemma.  That’s a tough integrity issue for the coaches and staff. 
This cost a very good RV team that was mixing it’s young passing game with Trenton Adkins’ rushing,  a chance to play in the playoffs. I liked that RV team against Union, Central or Graham that year.  

Its the flu had it last week along with a couple others in the family but its a quick one only lasting about 5 days

1 hour ago, stantheman said:

was told today that possible 1/2 of Unions team could miss this game due to the flu,   the honaker kid from abingdon,  has been sick the past couple weeks with it as well,   spreading like wildfire

If true it won’t end well for Union done seen this one play out in early 90s with Appalachia vs Parry McCluer.  Not good when your backfield is puking in the huddle