2D First Round: #5 Union @ #4 Gate City

SwvaOG

I'm telling you if I was the coach and heard union was sick and I had home field we playing thurs or Fri. Not giving them time to heal. Do the samething for Graham or Ridgeview you got to look out after your team. Could come back to bit the devils in the butt.

41 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

I'm telling you if I was the coach and heard union was sick and I had home field we playing thurs or Fri. Not giving them time to heal. Do the samething for Graham or Ridgeview you got to look out after your team. Could come back to bit the devils in the butt.

That’s what I’m saying, lol. You have to take every advantage you can against Union especially since the Bears seem to be clicking right now.. 😂 

1 hour ago, Dawg01 said:

Probably didn't wanna catch what we have

I have looked at the series. It looks like Gate City used to be in a higher classification but with a smaller enrollment. 

I saw multiple seasons where the former Powell Valley and Gate City played. PV won a couple of them in regular season. Gate City would get their revenge in the playoffs. Looked like that happened in 2001 and 07. Both teams looked like they were very good those 2 seasons. 

I also looked at another season where it seems like Gate City was a heavy favorite in both the regular season and playoffs. Yet Powell Valley swept them. I think it was 2005. 

I think Powell Valley won regular season 17-14. They won in the playoffs by a score of what? 49-20 or something? That playoff game from 05 is on YouTube. I watched a good bit of it yesterday. Powell Valley scored first. Then Gate City struck back and scored a couple times. Then Powell Valley went up like 21-14 at the half. Third quarter started neck and neck for much of the time. Powell Valley scored after a Gate City muffed punt or something. Gate City couldn’t adjust. Powell Valley took over and piled it on. 

That Quarterback from PV on that team looked alright. Like he was trying to emulate Michael Vick or something. 

Y’all may be in for a doozy up in Virginia. 

Head scratching in big stone is a understatement. The whole program needs an overhaul. 1st and 30 and you burn 2 timeouts plum pitiful coaching today. Union had 4 turnovers today and still had a shot at the win. Dont know what it's going to take to get over the hill. But I would start at getting rid of about 15 of those extra coaches. 

4 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

Head scratching in big stone is a understatement. The whole program needs an overhaul. 1st and 30 and you burn 2 timeouts plum pitiful coaching today. Union had 4 turnovers today and still had a shot at the win. Dont know what it's going to take to get over the hill. But I would start at getting rid of about 15 of those extra coaches. 

The end of the first half for Union where they ran out of time and the QB just tried to make something happen with the long throw and int but.........if Union doesn't burn through their timeouts in the 1st and 2nd quarter, they end up with plenty of time down around the Gate City 28 yard line and that was crucial.  Those burned timeouts in the first half cost Union 3 or 7 points at the end of the first half as they ran out of time inside the Gate City 30 after moving the ball some and having the GC defense tired

5 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I did not watch the whole game, but based on what I saw, Union was like looking in the mirror at GC, down to running out of the T. It looked like they out-Unioned Union.

Yes this and being a former dog. We loved seeing a four man front against the t. And unions defense coordinator just won't adjust. And timeouts what are those. We burn thru them like cigarettes.

I'm sure some of the kids were still a little weak, but that doesn't explain some of the coaching decisions, as already mentioned.

Just not a good performance for Union at all, while GC played very consistent with almost no miscues.

The Bears getting out coached is becoming a common theme.

Enjoy this while you can GC because it won't be pretty next week. I guess we can thank the Blue Devils for saving us from a beat down in Bluefield.

There's always next year!

For Union, the worst season by winning percentage since the school opened in 2011.  Union has had 2 seasons since this time where they had a .66 (66%)winning percentage, but this season a winning percentage of just over .63 (63%) which is their worst since the school formed in 2011.

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm sure some of the kids were still a little weak, but that doesn't explain some of the coaching decisions, as already mentioned.

Just not a good performance for Union at all, while GC played very consistent with almost no miscues.

The Bears getting out coached is becoming a common theme.

Enjoy this while you can GC because it won't be pretty next week. I guess we can thank the Blue Devils for saving us from a beat down in Bluefield.

There's always next year!

How'd you like those  2 timeouts in 2nd half one was on 3rd and 27 to save a delay just take the penalty

25 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

Yes this and being a former dog. We loved seeing a four man front against the t. And unions defense coordinator just won't adjust. And timeouts what are those. We burn thru them like cigarettes.

GC third TD to tie game our defense looked like it was in prevent from the 2 it was a clown show with the coaching this year