2D First Round: #5 Union @ #4 Gate City

SwvaOG

13 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm sure some of the kids were still a little weak, but that doesn't explain some of the coaching decisions, as already mentioned.

Just not a good performance for Union at all, while GC played very consistent with almost no miscues.

The Bears getting out coached is becoming a common theme.

Enjoy this while you can GC because it won't be pretty next week. I guess we can thank the Blue Devils for saving us from a beat down in Bluefield.

There's always next year!

One of my favorites parts of the game today was watching you play what seemed to be peace maker down there 🤣

1 minute ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

One of my favorites parts of the game today was watching you play what seemed to be peace maker down there 🤣

Lol. Yep!

I think it was just a misunderstanding with what the GC AD was trying to convey, but that mama was hot. 😂

1 minute ago, foosballer said:

Try to convey....he was a special kind of stupid coming into the Union crowd telling someone to stop blowing a hand held horn.

He was told by the white hat to enforce the VHSL rule of not blowing an artificial noise maker( battery operated air horn in this case) while teams were at the line of scrimmage. It was being blown while both GC and Union were on the ball.

He even stated "I don't want to be over here, I like as much noise as possible, but the white hat sent me."

It is the AD's job to enforce the rules, so he felt he had no choice. It was my understanding that nobody complained, but the white hat. 

He was just asking for the horn not to be blown after the teams broke the huddle. I think the mama thought he was coming to take the horn and refused to give it up. He took it as they were refusing to stop blowing the horn.

I know the GC AD, and one of the deputies that came over, so I interjected myself because I saw the misunderstanding.

The horn owners kept the horn and agreed not to blow it "inappropriately", so the AD and deputies went on their way.

21 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

We have NEVER been able to manage the clock. Wasn't any different today!

To be fair….who would you say is really good at managing the clock?  Ridgeview sure the heck isn’t and I’ve not come away from too many high school games where I was talking about superior clock management.  It’s the old “fog of war” adage.  There are a lot of things going on the sidelines during a game. The difference is that in college and pro they have pre-game planned a lot of this and have rehearsed the scenarios or have a decision tree they follow.

anymore, you've got at least 6 "get back" coaches on every sideline.  one is bound to be able to alert someone when there is 20 seconds left and the play hasn't left the sideline.  being a play ahead is winning, or at least having one ready might help.  I miss the 80s and 90s when wideouts/flankers brought them in.  In today's modern offense, your stud might be fresher longer if he weren't going to the sideline and back, even at a jog 50x a game.  At the same rate, I could not do the flash cards and silly signs all game long.  It's high school football, speak in simple terms and interpret when you have to.  Football fundamentals are becoming a thing of the past and it gets harder to watch yearly.  Bad teams and good teams only separated by speed, size, and raw ability more often than not.  

27 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

anymore, you've got at least 6 "get back" coaches on every sideline.  one is bound to be able to alert someone when there is 20 seconds left and the play hasn't left the sideline.  being a play ahead is winning, or at least having one ready might help.  I miss the 80s and 90s when wideouts/flankers brought them in.  In today's modern offense, your stud might be fresher longer if he weren't going to the sideline and back, even at a jog 50x a game.  At the same rate, I could not do the flash cards and silly signs all game long.  It's high school football, speak in simple terms and interpret when you have to.  Football fundamentals are becoming a thing of the past and it gets harder to watch yearly.  Bad teams and good teams only separated by speed, size, and raw ability more often than not.  

The running of the QB to the sideline is the most annoying thing I’ve seen.  This is the cause of at least 2 time outs a game on both teams in a given game.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

To be fair….who would you say is really good at managing the clock?  Ridgeview sure the heck isn’t and I’ve not come away from too many high school games where I was talking about superior clock management.

I know when dealing with HS kids, coaches are always going to burn timeouts because too few or too many kids are on the field, someone isn't lined up properly or something of that nature.

However, I've yet to see a team that routinely burn timeouts after: another timeout, change of possession, change of quarter or delay of game on a punt. 

Union has at least one of those per game.

4 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

To be fair….who would you say is really good at managing the clock?  Ridgeview sure the heck isn’t and I’ve not come away from too many high school games where I was talking about superior clock management.  It’s the old “fog of war” adage.  There are a lot of things going on the sidelines during a game. The difference is that in college and pro they have pre-game planned a lot of this and have rehearsed the scenarios or have a decision tree they follow.

We called a TO on 1st and 20 and 3rd and 27 in one drive to save a delay of game in the third quarter.  Beat that lol!!

3 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

The running of the QB to the sideline is the most annoying thing I’ve seen.  This is the cause of at least 2 time outs a game on both teams in a given game.  

At Appalachia in peanut football at 10 years old we had a better system than running QB to sideline every play it’s simple use a receiver.

9 hours ago, College WV said:

The straight truth is one simple thing!!!!!!  I’m not from Union or that area.  I watched the game because I thought we would be playing Union and not Gate City.   You have a defensive coordinator that don’t have a clue about high school football.  The Defense line coach is a 2 time all American at a college level and played Pro football but yet he’s not even involved.  Then I see a head coach from Thomas Joker playing his buddies son that shouldn’t be on the field getting smoked.  All jokes aside we will crush Gate City and blessed not to play Union because pride got in the way.  Union community open your eyes and see what you have.  Certain coaches are toxic to your program.  Head coaches don’t become assistant coaches for a reason.   Go G Men!!!!!!!!

I don't blame the defensive coach for the loss. You can have the right scheme and still get beat because of poor execution. The long run by GC QB on a busted play gave them the shot of Mojo-mentum they needed to turn the tide of the game. If anything went wrong on the coaching side, I'd say Union should have played more power football and ran the ball more north - south with the T when they had a lead. The field conditions were perfect for that kind of play after the 1st half. I guess GC realized that when they out Union'd, Union. 

9 hours ago, College WV said:

The straight truth is one simple thing!!!!!!  I’m not from Union or that area.  I watched the game because I thought we would be playing Union and not Gate City.   You have a defensive coordinator that don’t have a clue about high school football.  The Defense line coach is a 2 time all American at a college level and played Pro football but yet he’s not even involved.  Then I see a head coach from Thomas Joker playing his buddies son that shouldn’t be on the field getting smoked.  All jokes aside we will crush Gate City and blessed not to play Union because pride got in the way.  Union community open your eyes and see what you have.  Certain coaches are toxic to your program.  Head coaches don’t become assistant coaches for a reason.   Go G Men!!!!!!!!

Been saying this for 2 years about DC plus Thomas walker and Rye Cove former HC's  on staff. It will eventually cost Turner his job or he will leave for greener pastures. But you what to know who they run off not these bum coaches. They ran off 1 of their biggest supporters in UnionsHammer and the train horn crew. Because he hurt Edward's and Bostics feelings. I work with him and its a shame that dude never had anyone play and has more football knowledge in his little pinky toe then Edward's and Bostic have together. But anyways we will get ready to watch the crap show again in 10 months.

This thread has the potential to go as long as the Chris Akers thread from a few years ago! I am proud of the Blue Devils they don't do anything extraordinary except grind out wins. Are they state championship contenders, NO! not even close. They have 8 wins and have helped to restore the brand and should be at least decent for the next few seasons. To all the Union supporters the sun will come up tomorrow and be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. You are one bad hire from years of being irrelevant! 

11 hours ago, College WV said:

I kind of feel like you’re a Union person dissatisfied with the coaching staff & no really a Graham fan. 😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Actually, not a coach. But certainly not a Graham fan haha. 

Yeah, I don’t know of any Graham fan who is that interested in Union’s coaching staff or who played pro-ball or whose kid gets preferential playing time, lol.  But hey, if he wants to come cheer on the GMen against Gate City, I’ll save him a seat 😂😂😂😂. “Go GMen”!