How long before jobs are advertised?

TnT+h

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Fort Chiswell coach has been fired. They’ll need their 6th coach since 2013 maybe more, I’ve lost count. Can’t build a program with so much changeover. 

1. Stephen James (2005-2013)
2. Tom Hale (2014)
3. Todd Tiller (2015-2017)
4. Josh Wingate (2018)
5. Chris Akers (2019-2020)
6. Spider Thompson (2021-2022)
7. ??? (2023-???)

I hope they get it figured out. That's tough for the school, community and kids.

30 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Fort Chiswell coach has been fired. They’ll need their 6th coach since 2013 maybe more, I’ve lost count. Can’t build a program with so much changeover. 

Why was the FC coach fired?  Rare to fire a coach these days in SWVA............

My understanding is that much of this at FC is more than one person as the problem, and some of this may be do to the culture. I like FC, neat town, neat place, nice people, but things are just a touch weird or slightly weird. Many of the folks their are clanish, just kind of a closed knit group and just tough for an outsider to fit in compared to most other schools. This is just my opinion, but I think it explains lots of the turnover there.

1 hour ago, mike hunt said:

Why was the FC coach fired?  Rare to fire a coach these days in SWVA............

During the Galax game, a Fort player was clearly in trouble. He got up, fell, got up, fell, got up, fell, and his body was doing some crazy things. He was hand-fighting the EMT's on the sideline who were trying to help him. He ultimately spent 3-weeks in Roanoke Memorial with a severe concussion, spinal contusion, and possible brain bleed. The brain bleed turned out to be precautionary but still, very serious. He had some atrophy on his left side that persisted for several weeks. Prior to the play that left this kid visibly distressed, Spider put him back in the game after he was already determined to be concussed!

His roommate in Roanoke Memorial for the first few days was a teammate with a severe concussion and shattered collarbone. Apparently, Spider couldn't be bothered to go visit either kid in the hospital even though other area coaches did, including Shane Allen and Brandon Harner. 

He deserves more than simply being fired in my opinion! He should never be allowed to coach kids again!

7 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

My understanding is that much of this at FC is more than one person as the problem, and some of this may be do to the culture. I like FC, neat town, neat place, nice people, but things are just a touch weird or slightly weird. Many of the folks their are clanish, just kind of a closed knit group and just tough for an outsider to fit in compared to most other schools. This is just my opinion, but I think it explains lots of the turnover there.

This isn't a wrong statement. And you see it just as much or more in their youth athletic programs hosted by their feeder schools. Very centric and yes, clanish. In some ways, it's awesome. Others, not so much. 

Spider is an alumni tho....He's not an outsider. I'm struggling to remember if he was fired during his first stint at The Fort or if he stepped down. Not often you see a coach get fired twice by the same school.