Mountain 7 predictions girls/boys

Elder statesman

What is everyone hearing as we head into the season?

On the girls side it should be Wise/Gate City at the top again.  Union had a big transfer which should propel them right in the battle for the top spot.  Ridgeview and Abingdon will probably be on the outside looking in for the top spots.  Lee and Battle may pull an upset along the way but overall, probably fighting to stay out of last place.

On the boys side it appears that Abingdon should be tough to beat with the size they have.  Union, Gate City and Ridgeview should still have the athletes to compete.  Not sure what Central, Battle and Lee can put together on the basketball side.  This season may be one for soul searching to see which program can get back to past success.

Yeah Abingdon will be tough in the post. I just wonder how their guard play will be having lost many seniors.

Gate City as well, They return their best players but they lost all of their role players.

Union lost 5 seniors that all were the only point contributors, I don't understand the hype train with them just yet. 

As long as that McCamis girl is at Central they will be winning state. She dropped 35 in the state championship game last year as a freshman. She's an unbelievably talented young lady.

Give me Central over everyone in the M7, region, and state for the next 3 years.

15 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

What is everyone hearing as we head into the season?

On the girls side it should be Wise/Gate City at the top again.  Union had a big transfer which should propel them right in the battle for the top spot.  Ridgeview and Abingdon will probably be on the outside looking in for the top spots.  Lee and Battle may pull an upset along the way but overall, probably fighting to stay out of last place.

On the boys side it appears that Abingdon should be tough to beat with the size they have.  Union, Gate City and Ridgeview should still have the athletes to compete.  Not sure what Central, Battle and Lee can put together on the basketball side.  This season may be one for soul searching to see which program can get back to past success.

you can take Gate City out of that      Wise/Gate City comment above,   its Wise Central and everybody else in girls.       Abingdon is young but will be improved also they are without seymour until after the first of the year,    Union keeps having players quit,  heard 2 more quit in the past week,    I wouldn't count out Ridgeview,   Jon Sutherland has brought a young group into their program that has been playing together and winning together and they will only get better!!

In girls Central should have a decent gap ahead of the rest but GC and Ridgeview biting at their heels.  Lee would possibly be better served going to a JV team this year from what I have heard.  I heard Unions numbers arent what they expected also.

Wise may have won last year but Gate City gave them a contest during the season.  McCamis is good but she had a heck of a supporting staff.  Losing 3 senior starters would hurt any team.  Union has the best "big" in the district with Slagle and with the addition of Kaylee Lamb they should be able to contend at times if they can ever figure out their issues with getting girls to actually want to play.  Ridgeview lost their top 2 players (graduation) as did Abingdon (injury/transfer) but their JV teams dominated the district last year with Gate City being right behind them.  With Ridgeview and Abingdon being so young their seasons will depend a lot on team chemistry and who steps up.  Gate City returns the bulk of their team from last year as well as pulling up talent from JV so I think they will contend heavily with Wise for the 1-2 spots and could possibly be the top 2 teams in 2A.  

As for the boys, Abingdon should be decent at the guard position once football ends and those kids get acclimated to basketball and the only reason I think Union could be above average is simply because of their athletes.  The Anderson kid is lightning fast and they have some talent coming up from JV that could contribute if they are mature enough for varsity.  On paper, Abingdon should win district but I wouldn't be shocked to see them upset a couple times during the season.  New coach and a lot of egos on the team.

Ridgeview boys should be in the top 4 in the District.   They return Robinette, Hill, OQuinn, Counts and had a pretty decent JV team last year.   They should be pretty competitive for sure.  

2 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

Wise may have won last year but Gate City gave them a contest during the season.  McCamis is good but she had a heck of a supporting staff.  Losing 3 senior starters would hurt any team.  Union has the best "big" in the district with Slagle and with the addition of Kaylee Lamb they should be able to contend at times if they can ever figure out their issues with getting girls to actually want to play.  Ridgeview lost their top 2 players (graduation) as did Abingdon (injury/transfer) but their JV teams dominated the district last year with Gate City being right behind them.  With Ridgeview and Abingdon being so young their seasons will depend a lot on team chemistry and who steps up.  Gate City returns the bulk of their team from last year as well as pulling up talent from JV so I think they will contend heavily with Wise for the 1-2 spots and could possibly be the top 2 teams in 2A.  

As for the boys, Abingdon should be decent at the guard position once football ends and those kids get acclimated to basketball and the only reason I think Union could be above average is simply because of their athletes.  The Anderson kid is lightning fast and they have some talent coming up from JV that could contribute if they are mature enough for varsity.  On paper, Abingdon should win district but I wouldn't be shocked to see them upset a couple times during the season.  New coach and a lot of egos on the team.

more egos in the bleachers at abingdon is more like it

Watching Ridgeview boys last year, they are a lot like VA High.  Both teams rely on their speed and athleticism to wreak havoc against opposing teams.  Their problem is that they play so reckless they often end up beating themselves.  I do think Ridgeview has the basketball talent to win quite a bit this year if they can keep it under control.

On a side note, Bradley Dean(Gate City) and Luke Lawson(Eastside) had a really good outing for UVA Wise against King in their opener.

1 hour ago, Elder statesman said:

Watching Ridgeview boys last year, they are a lot like VA High.  Both teams rely on their speed and athleticism to wreak havoc against opposing teams.  Their problem is that they play so reckless they often end up beating themselves.  I do think Ridgeview has the basketball talent to win quite a bit this year if they can keep it under control.

On a side note, Bradley Dean(Gate City) and Luke Lawson(Eastside) had a really good outing for UVA Wise against King in their opener.

any word on why mccamis didn't play

On 11/11/2022 at 12:59 PM, 1inStripes said:

In girls Central should have a decent gap ahead of the rest but GC and Ridgeview biting at their heels.  Lee would possibly be better served going to a JV team this year from what I have heard.  I heard Unions numbers arent what they expected also.

If the rumor is true and Central gets the transfer Monday that just won the state championship in cross country for Grundy yesterday, they’ll be at the top.  

1 hour ago, Backpack said:

If the rumor is true and Central gets the transfer Monday that just won the state championship in cross country for Grundy yesterday, they’ll be at the top.  

Different girl than the state champ but same last name is what I’ve heard

To my knowledge, in order to transfer without sitting out a semester, they would have to physically move.  It's not as easy as simply renting a place in Wise on paper and staying there during the season.  It would have to be justified as the main permanent residence for the family. There was a rumor that a family attempted this at Gate City a few years back in boys, but Vermillion wouldn't risk it with the team they had at the time.  It would serve other Mountain 7 teams (especially Gate City) interests to check into the situation.  

50 minutes ago, Elder statesman said:

To my knowledge, in order to transfer without sitting out a semester, they would have to physically move.  It's not as easy as simply renting a place in Wise on paper and staying there during the season.  It would have to be justified as the main permanent residence for the family. There was a rumor that a family attempted this at Gate City a few years back in boys, but Vermillion wouldn't risk it with the team they had at the time.  It would serve other Mountain 7 teams (especially Gate City) interests to check into the situation.  

If you have a physical address and receive a bill there, what else can they say? 

According to VHSL rules the family would not be allowed to maintain 2 residences.  The original residence would have to be vacated completely by either sale or lease to someone else.  The entire family would have to move as well which keeps one parent from living in the new location.  Exceptions would be legal separation or divorce (which I have heard of happening so a kid could play somewhere else)

On 11/11/2022 at 2:50 PM, Elder statesman said:

Central just picked up the Looney girl from Grundy. They just keep getting deeper. It's their State Championship to lose.