Gate City at Graham - Saturday at 1 pm

Pegasus 27

15 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Graham should win relatively easily I think. Everything Union failed to do Vs GC Graham should excel at. 

What Union Should have done and what Graham will do.  Union, take your best athlete Anderson, put him in slot, have some other human being in a football uniform that can throw the ball 7 yards take a snap, put one foot behind the other quickly, then throw ball to Anderson, and force Gate City to tackle him in space.  If Union does that 10 times in a game, he's scoring on 2 of those.  RV just spread em out, and made them cover their athletes in space.  Graham will do that.  Expect Graham to have one of it's highest passing yard games of the season next Saturday, and many of those will be short passes that go for massive gains.

Graham 41, Gate City 10.  I think Graham wins by 30ish.  Only my opinion.  Union and it's lack of speed in open space was the perfect matchup for Gate City.  Graham and its speed in open space is the worst matchup for Gate City.  Just my opinion, Gate City may win the game for all I know, but I'm just giving my opinion having seen both teams.

3 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Union and it's lack of speed in open space was the perfect matchup for Gate City.  Graham and its speed in open space is the worst matchup for Gate City.  

Union actually has good speed this year, but you wouldn't know it because it's not used or used inappropriately.

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Union actually has good speed this year, but you wouldn't know it because it's not used or used inappropriately.

I know the staff at Union loves the run and loves conservatism on offense.  That's awesome!, but you can be conservative and misdirectional at the same time.  What I'm getting at is.....screens.  There just seems to be no screens or misdirection to offset a defense that is loading the box.  The problem Union gets itself into without any misdirection or screens, and just straight running the ball is when they get a holding call or motion penalty.  Those extra 5 or 10 yards just crushes that offensive possession and often just makes it come to a halt, and this is also where the time management issue comes into play and timeouts called to avoid delay of game penalties because Union isn't comfortable passing it on 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 5's (those tweener type situations).  It's almost like you can feel the uncertainty and discomfort through the computer monitor on the sideline regarding what to do.  

7 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

True took the staff forever to figure out Huff was a playmaker.  Don’t think he played offense till 6th game 

I know the staff at Union loves the run and loves conservatism on offense.  That's awesome!, but you can be conservative and misdirectional at the same time.  What I'm getting at is.....screens.  There just seems to be no screens or misdirection to offset a defense that is loading the box.  The problem Union gets itself into without any misdirection or screens, and just straight running the ball is when they get a holding call or motion penalty.  Those extra 5 or 10 yards just crushes that offensive possession and often just makes it come to a halt, and this is also where the time management issue comes into play and timeouts called to avoid delay of game penalties because Union isn't comfortable passing it on 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 5's (those tweener type situations).  It's almost like you can feel the uncertainty and discomfort through the computer monitor on the sideline regarding what to do.  

Nailed it!

We need an imagination coach that can come up with plays to keep the opposing D guess. We're way too predictable.

Alot of the delays we get is because the QB has to run to sideline every play instead of using a receiver who isn’t doing anything else except splitting out and never getting thrown to 

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't want to take anything away from GC's win over Union because they earned it by being consistent and nearly error free.

This GC team is a good team, but not great. It will take a great team to beat Graham. 

It will most likely be in line with the Graham/Central score.

Yes they've improved tremendously but they're not ready for what's bout to happen and nothing against them but with the talent Graham keeps getting they're becoming unbeatable for anyone locally

Graham fans, how come this game with GC is on Saturday instead of Friday?  What factors into the decision to play on Saturday in the region quarterfinals instead of Friday or vice versa assuming the field is open Friday and Saturday and Bluefield State or Bluefield Univ isn't playing?  They may be playing.  I have no idea.  I'm just asking?  Does the home team get to choose or does Gate City, the away team get to choose the date?

2 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Graham fans, how come this game with GC is on Saturday instead of Friday?  What factors into the decision to play on Saturday in the region quarterfinals instead of Friday or vice versa assuming the field is open Friday and Saturday and Bluefield State or Bluefield Univ isn't playing?  They may be playing.  I have no idea.  I'm just asking?

Who knows? They don’t consult the coaching staff about game day as far as I know. Maybe ask the AD or principal. Well, at least they didn’t about the Central game. 

9 minutes ago, stantheman said:

dont forget the flu bug had to impact the union vs GC game today,  players got IV's but i'm sure they were drained after this game

Flu didn't help, GC deserved the win just too many mistakes to overcome

For the Devils to have a chance, they have to do what has seemed pretty dang near impossible against Graham.  They are going to have to run the ball very well and kill clock, and that means run it well for 4 quarters.  That's just a monumental task that no team yet has able to do on Graham.  Gate City does have some very well designed little sneaky short-intermediate passing plays that are effective and caught Union a couple of times.  For a run oriented team, they do mix it up pretty good, but I just don't see them running the ball on Graham, and if they can't run the ball, they are dead in the water man.

I think Graham has evolved this season pretty good.  The defense is playing really well right now.  Offensiely, they can spread you out and pick you apart with short passes.  They can run the ball out of the spread.  They can bring in the big boys and line up in a tight formation and run over top of you in short yardage situations.  They have backs that can run around you, backs that can run over top of you and they have guys that can make plays after the catch at receivers.  The linebackers are solid and db's have speed and an eye for the ball.  They played a pretty physical game against Central, they were really delivering some punishing blows on offense and defense.  

Gate City has been somewhat of a mystery, playing well one week and not so well the next.  After watching them, I just don't think they have the speed to keep up with Graham.  They will have to capitalize on their possessions to have a chance and with Graham's defense playing the way they are lately, I just don't see it happening.

Graham needs to continue to work on cutting down the penalties and execution.  They are improving in that area as well.  

I won't predict a score, but will say that Graham should win, if they stay focused.

If union had the discipline to stay home on defense,  this game probably goes differently.  You can't be making week 1 mistakes first round.  A tradition-rich run first that had running backs 1000yards every season without one.  Qb did but needed someone else to pack the mail a bit.   Still a good season for them. Their losses are too playoff teams still in the hunt.  Good luck to those still in.  

32 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If union had the discipline to stay home on defense,  this game probably goes differently.  You can't be making week 1 mistakes first round.  A tradition-rich run first that had running backs 1000yards every season without one.  Qb did but needed someone else to pack the mail a bit.   Still a good season for them. Their losses are too playoff teams still in the hunt.  Good luck to those still in.  

I think Graham fans breathed a sigh of relief that they don't have to face Union. 

22 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I think Graham fans breathed a sigh of relief that they don't have to face Union. 

Gate City won’t be a cake walk but flashbacks to last year’s game with Union & ending up with a crippled QB, I wasn’t looking forward to playing them, it’s always so physical and both teams get banged up, lol. Union is just tough. I expect Gate City will come to “Mitchell” to play hard too unless they show up at Ernie Hicks and no one is there. 😂😂😂