Gate City at Graham - Saturday at 1 pm

Pegasus 27

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I know this is sort of a sidetrack to the upcoming game, but Graham looks like they will be in the mix for the next several years, if the coaching staff remains in place.  They should be very good next season and they have some athletes coming up from middle school.  With the strength and conditioning program turning out strong, well conditioned kids, they have that program set up for success for a while to come.

I think teams that have a consistent strength & conditioning program get a leg up  from the get go before teams that do not. I’m speaking in generalities not tooting Graham’s horn specifically. I just think some programs are hit & miss when it comes to the off season and others remain more focused year round. That probably shows up on the playing field during the regular season. 

Side-note: @TRidge No one is giving Graham a ring this year or any year. There’s a lot of football left to play. Any given match up, any team can be beaten including the GMen. Every win has to be earned. Commenting the middle school, JV, & varsity all went undefeated means simply that. One doesn’t just speak a winning program into existence, it takes hard work. 

26 minutes ago, TRidge said:

They should just go ahead and give them rings for next 5 years. This board is graham knob slobber central.

No one is giving them the ring but when you look at the consistency this year from the G-Men it’s hard to not favor them to at least win the Region and potentially the semifinals match up between C/D. When you look at teams like Ridgeview, Union, Radford, Glenvar, and Appomattox they are good teams but have showed inconsistency this year. 

The same goes for Galax. They are known to consistently be a solid program and that’s why they are usually favored to represent the western part of VA in Salem in Class 1. 

2 hours ago, TRidge said:

They should just go ahead and give them rings for next 5 years. This board is graham knob slobber central.

I’m not giving them a ring but from the teams I’ve seen in C and D I’m not seeing anyone of those beating them but I don’t know anything about the eastern side of the state 

On 11/12/2022 at 6:49 PM, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Graham fans, how come this game with GC is on Saturday instead of Friday?  What factors into the decision to play on Saturday in the region quarterfinals instead of Friday or vice versa assuming the field is open Friday and Saturday and Bluefield State or Bluefield Univ isn't playing?  They may be playing.  I have no idea.  I'm just asking?  Does the home team get to choose or does Gate City, the away team get to choose the date?

I know a few years back if visiting team was 2 hours away they had a say when it was played so I don’t know if that’s still applies or not.  Google maps has it 1 hr and 54 mins so should of been Graham choice.  

7 hours ago, Packman said:

I know a few years back if visiting team was 2 hours away they had a say when it was played so I don’t know if that’s still applies or not.  Google maps has it 1 hr and 54 mins so should of been Graham choice.  

It could be after a short week of practice & not their best performance against Central, they wanted an extra day to prepare. I’m not saying we played badly but we’ve played much better this year. 

16 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Serious question, how did Gate City decide on Blue Devils as a mascot? Legion Field name?  (Legion was a demon in the Bible, right?) Was there a cult of Satanist’s down that way back then? 😂 I truly am just curious. 

The American Legion donated $35,000 to the building of the stadium in 1964 with two stipulations. The new field would be named "Legion Field" and that a room at the field be provided free of charge to Legion members for meetings. There is an article in the Kingsport Times dated 08-27-1966 that talks about how the field came to be and the financing behind it.

As for Blue Devils. Like most early schools it was derived from the color of the uniforms. They wore blue so it looked like "Blue Devils" running around. This is true for many other schools such as Marion, Richlands, Grundy, Narrows, Wytheville and Galax. Just a variation on what they looked like such as "Hurricane", "Devils", "Waves", etc.

2 hours ago, Pegasus 27 said:

The American Legion donated $35,000 to the building of the stadium in 1964 with two stipulations. The new field would be named "Legion Field" and that a room at the field be provided free of charge to Legion members for meetings. There is an article in the Kingsport Times dated 08-27-1966 that talks about how the field came to be and the financing behind it.

As for Blue Devils. Like most early schools it was derived from the color of the uniforms. They wore blue so it looked like "Blue Devils" running around. This is true for many other schools such as Marion, Richlands, Grundy, Narrows, Wytheville and Galax. Just a variation on what they looked like such as "Hurricane", "Devils", "Waves", etc.

The story behind how Richlands came to be called the Blue Tornado is fascinating to me lol. 

2 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I didn’t realize the last time these teams played was when GC blanked them 70-0. Surely the Graham staff uses that as blackboard material this week, right?

I read somewhere where it was the worst loss in the history of Graham High School regarding scoring margin.

20 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Serious question, how did Gate City decide on Blue Devils as a mascot? Legion Field name?  (Legion was a demon in the Bible, right?) Was there a cult of Satanist’s down that way back then? 😂 I truly am just curious. 

The answer to Legion Field and naming was given above. As for "Legion," in the Bible, this was the answer given by Demons-plural when asked "what is your name." If you look at Catholic, Jewish, Islamic, Protestant, and even the Bible itself, extremely rarely is a person Only possessed by 1 demon. It's always a group "more than 1."  Legion, from the Latin means, "a collective or gathering." So, when the possessed person in the Bible responded "Legion," it was basically multiple demons answering or 1 of the Demons answering for all of them to make it known there was more than 1.

25 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I didn’t realize the last time these teams played was when GC blanked them 70-0. Surely the Graham staff uses that as blackboard material this week, right?

I’m thinking Graham holds em under 70 this time and going out on a limb  here and scores more than 0

40 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I mean maybe but since that game both programs have gone in opposite directions. 

Just now, Pegasus 27 said:

Who are you? Bill Gates?

Hi. I'm Ryan! I've been on this site for 17 years -- and I guarantee you I've made far worse predictions than the one that you are obsessed with enough to send to a schools Facebook page. 

But who are you?? 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Hi. I'm Ryan! I've been on this site for 17 years -- and I guarantee you I've made far worse predictions than the one that you are obsessed with enough to send to a schools Facebook page. 

But who are you?? 

I'm David and I don't have Facebook. What are you talking about? 

12 minutes ago, Pegasus 27 said:

Yes. I saw the post on here and was making a joke about the terrible original prediction. Guess he is still sensitive about the farm. Anyway. I enjoy the board. 

Why would I be? I made a prediction that was wrong. That happens. It takes a lot more than that for me to get upset at this point.