Ridgeview vs Graham Region D Championship Rematch!

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, Gfan said:

I would be surprised if Graham doesn’t take a couple of shots deep. Ridgeview plays a lot of man coverage with no safety help. Bluefield got behind them a couple of times.  For what is worth Ridgeview shut down Union’s power run game. I think Graham’s main game plan has to be get the ball in Clements hands as much as possible but you may have to throw deep a few times to keep Ridgeview honest. Ridgeview plays the run well because they typically stack the box and trust their athletes to cover on the outside.  It will be a good matchup to see if Watkins and Edwards can get behind Ridgeview’s DBs the way Bluefield did.

Actually RV plays zero team man, frustratingly so.  They will match #7 up on the other teams WR1 if possible and this is why Bluefield busted deep.  They were smart enough to run WR1 in to draw #7 enough to flare a WR down the sideline.  The S didn’t cover (not sure he could have or should have) and the scheme should have never been ran. Good thing Bluefield exposed it.  I haven’t seen it since, thankfully so.

38 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Really hurts when you lose your line they don’t get their names in the paper but aren’t easy to replace 

We are losing a few but have the majority returning, Dolan and Roberts are a big loss, but Graham has already been rotating kids into their spots all year. The lines will be just fine. 

15 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

You may be right, but the thing about Graham's secondary is they have a lot of speed and can recover, if they do get burned. If Graham gets pressure to the QB early, it will be a long night for Ridgeview, if not, I thnk Ridgeview will have some success.  However, in the 2nd half, Graham has had a tendency to wear down their opponents on the line of scrimmage and it really starts to show.  I think Ridgeview has a pretty decent line, if they can withstand the pressure (and it can be intense at times).  They have a good chance to win it.  If not, I like Graham's chances.

On the other side of the ball, I think Graham should try the power - run package they used against V-High some, if they don't have a lot of success at first.  That is very hard to stop.  I wouldn't pass, if I was Graham, unless I had to.  They have a 2000 yard Running Back and a solid Fullback in Hughes that can run the ball, Floyd can come in the spell Clements and Edwards can do the mis-directions and end arounds pretty well.  Throw it sparingly and it could be very effective.

I agree with this. I’m not sure why they haven’t ran Floyd or Hughes that much since VA High game except a little. Hughes will wear their line out trying to get him down. I know they use Hughes a lot as main blocker. 

The best athlete on Grahams football team imo is Sawyers. They should give him an end around or some touches offensively out of the backfield. Kid is a freak athlete and probably the most underrated player in Region D or at least one of the most underrated.

39 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The best athlete on Grahams football team imo is Sawyers. They should give him an end around or some touches offensively out of the backfield. Kid is a freak athlete and probably the most underrated player in Region D or at least one of the most underrated.

I think Sawyers was probably the most improved player last year from beginning through the end of the season. It really hurt not having him against King William. He’s really played well this season. He’s a great athlete! He didn’t play last year against Ridgeview either due to being injured. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

My thought on him early on was that he would have been an excellent backup qb - if developed a little - super smart and very athletic.  But, I agree, I would try to get him some more touches and Wallace at tight end a few balls thrown his way also.  I guess there's just not enough footballs to go around for that crew.

36 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think Sawyers was probably the most improved player last year from beginning through the end of the season. It really hurt not having him against King William. He’s really played well this season. He’s a great athlete! He didn’t play last year against Ridgeview either due to being injured. 

Yeah, him and Z. Blevins were really missed against KW, they would have helped to seal the edge against KW's running back.  

5 hours ago, Graham32 said:

Not to stroke out own ego but Graham next year will be super scary. They will return majority of this team. 

But first lets focus on this year 🙂

This right here. If they can get 3 linemen playing pretty well the sky is the limit. Dalton Roberts is going to be very good at QB. A gunslinger type. Dare I say as good as this team or the last. Maybe even better.I believe they return 7 on defense.

3 hours ago, FootballFan77 said:

We are losing a few but have the majority returning, Dolan and Roberts are a big loss, but Graham has already been rotating kids into their spots all year. The lines will be just fine. 

These two will be hard to replace but the others are learning from them which bodes well for underclassmen having to step up next year. The Seniors on the team are great leaders! The best thing about this team & these boys aren’t “me” players. They are a team, a family. It will be fun to watch this young team grow next year. 

1 hour ago, CPF said:

This right here. If they can get 3 linemen playing pretty well the sky is the limit. Dalton Roberts is going to be very good at QB. A gunslinger type. Dare I say as good as this team or the last. Maybe even better.I believe they return 7 on defense.

Graham has potential to be reallt competitive for the next several years.

42 minutes ago, Faithful G-man said:

Alvis is also a senior on the o line

Alvis another player you don't hear much about but a vital part of the O line & team! Hopefully, the O line opens up some holes for our RBs! Ridgeview's defense seems to be clicking on all cylinders. 

16 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Alvis another player you don't hear much about but a vital part of the O line & team! Hopefully, the O line opens up some holes for our RBs! Ridgeview's defense seems to be clicking on all cylinders. 

Yes, they have.  Saturday, we will see if that defense is a 4 cylinder or an 8 cylinder.

Watching more and more on RV over the holidays on nfhs.  I like their chances against Graham.  The biggest difference I can see is Graham's attention to detail on special teams as opposed to RV.  RV matches up a little better than most with Graham.  If RV gets in a groove like they've been in the past few weeks they win by 2/3 scores.  If they can't produce a few stops along the way, I'm not sure they can win a slugfest/track meet with Graham.  

33 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Watching more and more on RV over the holidays on nfhs.  I like their chances against Graham.  The biggest difference I can see is Graham's attention to detail on special teams as opposed to RV.  RV matches up a little better than most with Graham.  If RV gets in a groove like they've been in the past few weeks they win by 2/3 scores.  If they can't produce a few stops along the way, I'm not sure they can win a slugfest/track meet with Graham.  

I think that too many people look over Graham’s ability to adapt mid game. I think RV’s best chance is to get a lead before the D adapts and the line starts breaking down. Graham tends to wear a team down over the course of a game, especially on the lines. I think RV will jump to a 1-2 score lead early, Graham pulls back by halftime. I  think Graham squeaks by in the 4th, both scores in the 20’s. (Unless either team implodes)