Grayson at George Wythe

MT FAN 91

GW definitely has the athletic advantage. I see this being close but GW squeaking it out. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Grayson wins because they are playing very well. It should be a good game. Congratulations to both for making it to the region final. 

We learned Friday night, giving Stephen James a second crack at you can be a game changer. In addition, I don’t believe GW has noticeably better athletes. These two teams are strikingly similar with Grayson having a coaching advantage. 

Grayson 31
George Wythe 28

13 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Personally I think Stephen James is one of better coaches in class one football and he'll have a good game plan for GW this weekend. Coach Harner better be ready to make adjustments of they want to win this one.

I watched the galax vs grayson and galax looked like they had already packed this season in!! no pass game to speak of and no matter who played QB it was bad!! All grayson did was put 10 in the box to stuff the run. They wont have that luxury against GW. GW has 3 good edge players then you have to worry about their QB and two RB's who run hard behind their pads. Not to mention they moved their QB who missed 6 weeks to WR who only needs one step to house it. if they play man on outside with no safety help. katy bar the door. Grayson does have some good players but i dont think they can beat them this year!

GW does not in any way have an athletic advantage.....I said before that  this is the best run of athletes Grayson has had in 15 years.  This was prior to some new arrivals via tranfer.  They will be a top tier program in 1A for awhile.  The Super has assembled a strong staff and has poured a ton of money into program.  The Def Coord is the best around IMO.

33 minutes ago, Pickett said:

GW does not in any way have an athletic advantage.....I said before that  this is the best run of athletes Grayson has had in 15 years.  This was prior to some new arrivals via tranfer.  They will be a top tier program in 1A for awhile.  The Super has assembled a strong staff and has poured a ton of money into program.  The Def Coord is the best around IMO.

hahahaaha ok

1 hour ago, Pickett said:

The Def Coord is the best around IMO.

I think Graham’s defensive mastermind might be in the running for that title, lol. Seriously, Grayson has had a great season and I won’t be surprised if they pull the win but I equally won’t be surprised if GW wins. I think it’s that kind of game! Good luck to both! 

1 hour ago, Dobb83 said:

hahahaaha ok

Yeah couldn't agree more GW definitely 1000000% has the better athletes and it isn't close. Grayson definitely has the better coaching and it isn't close. But anyone who has seen these 2 teams in person should be able to see GW is absolutely loaded at the skills and without questions has the better athletes.

3 hours ago, Pickett said:

They got beat by GW soundly and got handed their tails to them by Galax the last two weeks of regular season . Then caught Galax looking forward to GW and now all of the sudden they are a top tier program in 1 A???   That’s just to much BS to handle on one post.

The super intendant threatend legal action to stay in 1A. Told everyone last year that coach James had never lost to coach Dixon and wouldn’t lose to coach Allen either then proceeded to get beat three times in a row. 

lol I needed that laugh 

We can compare athlete to athlete all we want, but Grayson has speed on the perimeter with good hands, a QB that can get the ball out accurately with time, a balanced offense, and a defense that can give themselves enough stops to give themselves a shot. 

Add to that GW's tendency to give up big plays, and I'm very concerned about this game. Regardless of who has better athletes, Grayson has more than enough to take advantage of big plays if we let our guard down or miss an assignment. Some of y'all are selling Grayson mighty short in that department. 

It's going to be a close game. 

18 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

We can compare athlete to athlete all we want, but Grayson has speed on the perimeter with good hands, a QB that can get the ball out accurately with time, a balanced offense, and a defense that can give themselves enough stops to give themselves a shot. 

Add to that GW's tendency to give up big plays, and I'm very concerned about this game. Regardless of who has better athletes, Grayson has more than enough to take advantage of big plays if we let our guard down or miss an assignment. Some of y'all are selling Grayson mighty short in that department. 

It's going to be a close game. 

Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit on this board at times. Suggesting GW doesn't have the athletic advantage some might think somehow becomes "oh, you're an idiot if you think Grayson has better athletes than GW."  

Grayson has more than enough athletes to compete with GW. Grayson also has a clear-cut and sizeable advantage in the coaching department. This game was 27-22 a few weeks ago. James and Doss are more than enough to reverse a 5 point game the second time around.

9 hours ago, Topper22 said:

They got beat by GW soundly and got handed their tails to them by Galax the last two weeks of regular season . Then caught Galax looking forward to GW and now all of the sudden they are a top tier program in 1 A???   That’s just to much BS to handle on one post.

The super intendant threatend legal action to stay in 1A. Told everyone last year that coach James had never lost to coach Dixon and wouldn’t lose to coach Allen either then proceeded to get beat three times in a row. 

lol I needed that laugh 

Should be an entertaining game and one that could come down to the wire. I think they are evenly matched so it could come down to turnovers or who wants it the most. As far as the VHSL ruling allowng Grayson to remain in Class 1 with 363 students I thought was terrible considering they will be twice the size of most schools in Class 1. Grayson or most any school with that kind of enrollment will keep winning which brings more kids out, etc. Just look at Riverheads as an example. The cutoff was 350 so Grayson is above 350 and should bo playing in Class 2. Look at Lebanon who struggled mightily in Class 2 came down to Class 1 and found sucess. Enrollment is a huge advantage in Class 1 as the bigger schools tend to dominate most years. Someone said Grayson only had 5 seniors so yes they will be one of the favorites to win it all next year.

2 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Should be an entertaining game and one that could come down to the wire. I think they are evenly matched so it could come down to turnovers or who wants it the most. As far as the VHSL ruling allowng Grayson to remain in Class 1 with 363 students I thought was terrible considering they will be twice the size of most schools in Class 1. Grayson or most any school with that kind of enrollment will keep winning which brings more kids out, etc. Just look at Riverheads as an example. The cutoff was 350 so Grayson is above 350 and should bo playing in Class 2. Look at Lebanon who struggled mightily in Class 2 came down to Class 1 and found sucess. Enrollment is a huge advantage in Class 1 as the bigger schools tend to dominate most years. Someone said Grayson only had 5 seniors so yes they will be one of the favorites to win it all next year.

I guess threat of a lawsuit scares the VHSL. Grayson’s superintendent is …well, he just is! 😂😂😂

One -Grayson superintendent is an whiny asshat that trolls people on social media and doesnt even know his schools history to speak intelligently to it on the local news channel. He threatened legal action with the basis of geography, when in fact he would still be playing the same teams throughout the year as he would still be part of the MED. 

Two- ask Auburns leadership team about the bad blood between and the stunts he pulled. Especially this last vote. 

1 hour ago, Optimal62 said:

One -Grayson superintendent is an whiny asshat that trolls people on social media and doesnt even know his schools history to speak intelligently to it on the local news channel. He threatened legal action with the basis of geography 

Nailed it... couldn't of said it better myself 

2 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

One -Grayson superintendent is an whiny asshat that trolls people on social media and doesnt even know his schools history to speak intelligently to it on the local news channel. He threatened legal action with the basis of geography, when in fact he would still be playing the same teams throughout the year as he would still be part of the MED. 

Two- ask Auburns leadership team about the bad blood between and the stunts he pulled. Especially this last vote. 

My wife works for the school system and you guys have no idea what this administration is like .

So I am assuming you are speaking to the fact that he called Auburns Superintendant and had their superintendent call their  AD and told them they HAD to vote in favor of Grayson playing down! The AD for Auburn wouldn’t  do it so they just skipped the meeting all together.

As well as there is scuttlebutt that couple years ago a long term assistant coach spoke up during a game because he thought a player that took a hard hit should be in Concussion protocol and the Head coach at the time refused. When the assistant raised the red flag the week after.  Wilmore had him removed from the position.
 Not a good person at all if all the rumors are true. 

I thought that both GW and Grayson had to fight to stay down.  Should not be a fight in my opinion.  You should go where you belong based on numbers.  Once again this is a reflection of our society, cry enough when you don't get your way and people will appease you. 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I guess threat of a lawsuit scares the VHSL. Grayson’s superintendent is …well, he just is! 😂😂😂

Grayson at 363 isn't even close to the 350 cutoff number. A school with enrollment of 363 playing a school with 180 is much different than a school with an enrollment of 700 playing a school with 525. A discrepancy of 100-200 kids is huge at the Class 1 level. Makes it hard to pull for these schools that won't accept where the numbers put them.

5 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

I thought that both GW and Grayson had to fight to stay down.  Should not be a fight in my opinion.  You should go where you belong based on numbers.  Once again this is a reflection of our society, cry enough when you don't get your way and people will appease you. 

GW is at 353 and would have been the smallest 2A school so they are right at it

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

I thought 475 was the cutoff for single A.  When did it drop to 350?

Beginning next school year, VHSL is changing the way they calculate ADM. They will no longer be counting the senior class. They will only count grades 9-11.

Thus, 475 becomes 350.