Appo vs Graham

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, Faithful G-man said:

I could definitely see how we could look one dimensional from the outside, but we have a solid qb and receiving group. We are very capable of passing, but why pass when you can shove it down the middle for 400 yards?

I agree with this.  Graham can throw when they need to.  They haven't needed to.  However, they have been successful when they do pass.

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Agree.  Pennix is very similar to Clements.  He is a play-maker and was the difference for them in the Glenvar game.  I think Appo can pass the ball, but not nearly as pass oriented as Ridgeview, they run first and pass 2nd, very balanced team that Graham will be facing.  I think having everybody healthy is big for Graham this year.  Sawyers makes a big difference for Graham on the edge.  I believe that the lineplay for Graham has the edge on Appomattox, but Appomattox has enough athletes to compensate.  Should be a good one.  That power-run for Graham is something else, I love to watch them run that formation.  Not going to make a prediction, because Smith always makes the most of what he has and Graham's coaches have proven to be very good at game planning and adjusting as well.  Can't wait for this game.  Glad Graham has homefield advantage, maybe this year, the city of Bluefield won't let Appomattox practice on the field the day before the game like last season.  They should have go go somewhere else, like Princeton or Richlands.  I know it's courtesy to let another team practice nearby, but you have home field advantage for a reason.  Tazewell County pays for Graham to use that stadium, Appomattox shouldn't get a chance to practice on it for free.

I think the deciding factor in this game will be if the Appo QB can use his athleticism to escape and adjust to the pressure that Graham will undoubtedly bring to him.  He is a sophomore, he is good, but can he handle that kind of pressure.  If he can, could be a long day for Graham. 

Appo QB is a junior

10 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Also I am NOT attempting to start a massive transfer debate here so let’s please not let it get there 🤦🏻‍♂️. But where did this run of athletes from Graham come from? Did people see this coming or what is the deal? I know The staff at Graham is very good but you can’t teach what they have right now. 

middle school, a couple kids who moved here, but the most recruited lineman in WV grew up in Graham and moved to Charleston.He was in that senior class. 

It's not a disadvantage/advantage to be on the field the day before nor a sign of disrespect.  If Bluefield owns the stadium then it's up to them who's on it I suppose.  Graham does an excellent job of getting their athletes into positions to impact a game, weekly.  I'd say yes, coaching is happening.  They're blessed to have a great run of athletes over the years and continue to have them.  Numbers have dwindled a bit over the years but athlete numbers stay consistent.  Transfers are pretty common these days, at every school.  When you're at/near the top consistently people look.  When you're not in the hunt, nobody cares if your transfers are good or not.  Either way, they're rolling right now just as Richlands was for several years.  They're not unbeatable, but dang good.  Stop wasting time complaining about it and put the effort into improving to keep up.  I believe vs APPO will be a better ball game just on the simple fact that they're much more disciplined than RV or anyone else Graham has played all season, since KW last year.  Mix in their athleticism and simple approach, 42-38 kind of game.  Good luck to both but hoping D whoops up on C.

33 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

middle school, a couple kids who moved here, but the most recruited lineman in WV grew up in Graham and moved to Charleston.He was in that senior class. 

As well as the Jollay twins who both start for George Wythe.

38 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

It's not a disadvantage/advantage to be on the field the day before nor a sign of disrespect.  If Bluefield owns the stadium then it's up to them who's on it I suppose.  Graham does an excellent job of getting their athletes into positions to impact a game, weekly.  I'd say yes, coaching is happening.  They're blessed to have a great run of athletes over the years and continue to have them.  Numbers have dwindled a bit over the years but athlete numbers stay consistent.  Transfers are pretty common these days, at every school.  When you're at/near the top consistently people look.  When you're not in the hunt, nobody cares if your transfers are good or not.  Either way, they're rolling right now just as Richlands was for several years.  They're not unbeatable, but dang good.  Stop wasting time complaining about it and put the effort into improving to keep up.  I believe vs APPO will be a better ball game just on the simple fact that they're much more disciplined than RV or anyone else Graham has played all season, since KW last year.  Mix in their athleticism and simple approach, 42-38 kind of game.  Good luck to both but hoping D whoops up on C.

The way I see it, Graham may pay a bundle to use it every season. But I didn’t see the harm in—who’s the town? Bluefield?—allowing this team to use it for ONE evening to practice on. From the looks of things it doesn’t appear to have given this Appomattox County TOO much an advantage. 

I’ve seen videos of both teams this year. Both have speed. Appomattox County has more discipline. Don’t be surprised if some key penalties will decide the outcome. 

18 minutes ago, BlueDevilVolMan said:

The way I see it, Graham may pay a bundle to use it every season. But I didn’t see the harm in—who’s the town? Bluefield?—allowing this team to use it for ONE evening to practice on. From the looks of things it doesn’t appear to have given this Appomattox County TOO much an advantage. 

I’ve seen videos of both teams this year. Both have speed. Appomattox County has more discipline. Don’t be surprised if some key penalties will decide the outcome. 

The problem isn't they were allowed to do it. The problem is that the city didn't have enough respect for us to even  notify us muchless ask if we had a problem with it. Hell the coach is a city employee. It's the disrespect.

I guess one would have to understand the dynamics of the relationship between you guys and the city.  IMO it is kind of like letting one neighbor borrow my tools without telling the other.  Ain't really anyone's business but the tool owner.  It obviously wasn't  an advantage to be on it the day before.  It measures the same and will feel the same to each player no matter what the conditions.  Coaches just glad those hamstrings aren't busting from dragging stencils and painting.  Good luck to y'all.

2 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I guess one would have to understand the dynamics of the relationship between you guys and the city.  IMO it is kind of like letting one neighbor borrow my tools without telling the other.  Ain't really anyone's business but the tool owner.  It obviously wasn't  an advantage to be on it the day before.  It measures the same and will feel the same to each player no matter what the conditions.  Coaches just glad those hamstrings aren't busting from dragging stencils and painting.  Good luck to y'all.

It's way deeper than you think.

that's crazy, when you've got 2 successful programs right there together in different states that represent your area well yearly.  It's not like Hatfield's and McCoy's, or maybe it is.  I guess it's the same everywhere when some adults in charge aren't good at "adulting" because way back when they were on the receiving end of a loss or treat the other like an outsider because someone decided 200 years ago to use the same name in the same neighborhood.  Been said 100x, Graham G-MEN need their own headquarters, forget Mitchell.  With the success they've had over the years, and the following, how could TAZ CO say no?

39 minutes ago, CPF said:

The problem isn't they were allowed to do it. The problem is that the city didn't have enough respect for us to even  notify us muchless ask if we had a problem with it. Hell the coach is a city employee. It's the disrespect.

Quite frankly that is a twisted way to think about it. 

If the city owns the stadium and you all just rent it, then you all don’t get a say. 

Get over it. 

Graham definitely needs their own stadium. I’m sure you could build a nice one this day and age. plus, if taxpayer money really pays $70K/yr for Mitchell, you’d have it paid quicker than you think. Kinda reminds me of Lakers/Clippers dynamic. 

6 minutes ago, BlueDevilVolMan said:

Quite frankly that is a twisted way to think about it. 

If the city owHow ns the stadium and you all just rent it, then you all don’t get a say. 

Get over it. 

Not sure as a non tax payer, anybody outside the city of Bluefield has a dog in the fight. They also had folks show up at the Graham practice and were ask to leave. 

23 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

that's crazy, when you've got 2 successful programs right there together in different states that represent your area well yearly.  It's not like Hatfield's and McCoy's, or maybe it is.  I guess it's the same everywhere when some adults in charge aren't good at "adulting" because way back when they were on the receiving end of a loss or treat the other like an outsider because someone decided 200 years ago to use the same name in the same neighborhood.  Been said 100x, Graham G-MEN need their own headquarters, forget Mitchell.  With the success they've had over the years, and the following, how could TAZ CO say no?

Tazewell County needs to do a lot to improve athletic facilities in the county.  There is not a regulation track in the entire county, despite having successful track teams (Tazewell - with multiple individual state champions) recently.  The football stadium at Tazewell, could really use an upgrade and some improvements.  They haven't had a regulation track for as long as I can remember, the kids have to always be on the road to compete and cannot complete in front of their home towns.  Not sure how it gets done, the county usually has barely enough to keep the normal day to day operations going.  Closing schools may be the only option in the future for nicer facilities.  Perhaps there is some federal money out there that can be accessed?  Private organizations helping out?  I don't know how it gets done.  I do believe that the town of Bluefield, Va. is willing to step in and help out Graham's situation as they did with the gyms behind the high school.

Maybe Graham gets a new stadium in the near future, Tazewell gets an upgrade and a regulation track (which would be the only regulation track in the county).  

And my pet peeve is that each one of the schools need a good pressure washing.

Bluefield, VA never had any real intentions to build Graham a stadium. You’re naive if you really believed that headline grab a couple years ago. 

Graham will never have their own field. TCPS will keep paying whatever number the city of Bluefield wants to ask for rent, no questions asked. 

TCPS won’t make any significant upgrades to Tazewell or Richlands’ stadiums either. Consolidation is on the horizon, whether it’s 10, 20, 30 years away -  it’s inevitable. They’re not going to sink any money into something that won’t have a permanent shelf life. 

21 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Bluefield, VA never had any real intentions to build Graham a stadium. You’re naive if you really believed that headline grab a couple years ago. 

Graham will never have their own field. TCPS will keep paying whatever number the city of Bluefield wants to ask for rent, no questions asked. 

TCPS won’t make any significant upgrades to Tazewell or Richlands’ stadiums either. Consolidation is on the horizon, whether it’s 10, 20, 30 years away -  it’s inevitable. They’re not going to sink any money into something that won’t have a permanent shelf life. 

Yes, that entire area for a new stadium and other things is never going to happen. It went the way of the planned big development across from Lowes between East River Mountain and Rt. 460. None of those are happening now.