Appo vs Graham

Gridiron60

54 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Bluefield, VA never had any real intentions to build Graham a stadium. You’re naive if you really believed that headline grab a couple years ago. 

Graham will never have their own field. TCPS will keep paying whatever number the city of Bluefield wants to ask for rent, no questions asked. 

TCPS won’t make any significant upgrades to Tazewell or Richlands’ stadiums either. Consolidation is on the horizon, whether it’s 10, 20, 30 years away -  it’s inevitable. They’re not going to sink any money into something that won’t have a permanent shelf life. 

They already have 1.75 million to build the field part complete with a 8 lane track. Just waiting now on some adjustments with the state. It's going to be on the practice field at the high school. It was also approved by a 6-0  vote by the town council. So yeah it might.

What I want to know from you G-Men fans are, can the "Dirty Dozen" beat Appo?  When I heard that, I laughed my arse off.  BR is pretty good man.  Some of those calls were pretty ugly.  I'm more apt to blame coaches or players compared to officials, but good Lord, some of those seemed like shaky calls.   I've always argued (and could be wrong because I don't argue very well) that if you have a game that has a bunch of tough calls and one team benefits on an overwhelming majority of those 50-50 calls, then it's concerning.  It's not the huge or one missed major call that is a sign of shakiness in my opinion, it's when one team just seems to overwhelmingly garner the huge proportion of 50-50 calls.

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

What I want to know from you G-Men fans are, can the "Dirty Dozen" beat Appo?  When I heard that, I laughed my arse off.  BR is pretty good man.  Some of those calls were pretty ugly.  I'm more apt to blame coaches or players compared to officials, but good Lord, some of those seemed like shaky calls.   I've always argued (and could be wrong because I don't argue very well) that if you have a game that has a bunch of tough calls and one team benefits on an overwhelming majority of those 50-50 calls, then it's concerning.  It's not the huge or one missed major call that is a sign of shakiness in my opinion, it's when one team just seems to overwhelmingly garner the huge proportion of 50-50 calls.

Agree you can’t really get mad about penalties unless it costs you the game or is one sided.  Didn’t see the stats but I’m assuming Graham had many more yards in penalties.  Reminds me of Union Central game when Union had around 130 yards and Central 10

1 hour ago, CPF said:

They already have 1.75 million to build the field part complete with a 8 lane track. Just waiting now on some adjustments with the state. It's going to be on the practice field at the high school. It was also approved by a 6-0  vote by the town council. So yeah it might.

I believe it will happen sooner rather then later.  Pandemic money will pay for the turf and possibly a track (as long as it is labeled properly to receive the funds). the town of Bluefield may be able to help with the  grand stand and seating.  Zoning is the big issue right now, but they are trying to figure out a way around that.

The county could finance the grand stand and visitor seating, once the field is in place (which is going to happen), if they had to.

13 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I believe it will happen sooner rather then later.  Pandemic money will pay for the turf and possibly a track (as long as it is labeled properly to receive the funds). the town of Bluefield may be able to help with the  grand stand and seating.  Zoning is the big issue right now, but they are trying to figure out a way around that.

The county could finance the grand stand and visitor seating, once the field is in place (which is going to happen), if they had to.

It's my understanding it's an issue with the water drainage. Once that gets worked thru it should be a go.They've already decided it does not need rezoned. Also of note it will include a soccer field as well. When you figure in rent for soccer at East River between that and rent for Mitchell plus the 5K a playoff game in rent it's our best interest to get this done.

8 minutes ago, CPF said:

It's my understanding it's an issue with the water drainage. Once that gets worked thru it should be a go.They've already decided it does not need rezoned. Also of note it will include a soccer field as well. When you figure in rent for soccer at East River between that and rent for Mitchell plus the 5K a playoff game in rent it's our best interest to get this done.

I agree, wasn't aware that the zoning issue had been resolved. 

57 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Agree you can’t really get mad about penalties unless it costs you the game or is one sided.  Didn’t see the stats but I’m assuming Graham had many more yards in penalties.  Reminds me of Union Central game when Union had around 130 yards and Central 10

I think it was like 145 yds to 40 yards. 15 penalties for Graham and 4 for RV if I remember correctly. It was late when I read the article last night. 

2 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Graham had 16 penalties.  Ridgeview had 4.  Not sure of penalty yardage.  Over 100 for Graham for sure 

Appomattox has won 5 of the last 7 State titles in Virginia 2A.  One of the main reasons, is coaching and a hard nosed team that plays with purpose.  Graham needs to keep thinking how it felt last year to lose in that title game and keep focused on the task ahead and it is a monumental task to take down Appomattox at this stage of the playoffs.  As witnessed last week, Appomattox will come at you with everything they've got and with confidence.  Graham needs to play hard and play smart.  Limit the bone headed penalties, unsportsmanlike and personal fouls will get you beat against a team like Appomattox.  Appomattox will show up to Mitchell Stadium, expecting to win the game.  Graham needs to play their best football on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Appomattox has won 5 of the last 7 State titles in Virginia 2A.  One of the main reasons, is coaching and a hard nosed team that plays with purpose.  Graham needs to keep thinking how it felt last year to lose in that title game and keep focused on the task ahead and it is a monumental task to take down Appomattox at this stage of the playoffs.  As witnessed last week, Appomattox will come at you with everything they've got and with confidence.  Graham needs to play hard and play smart.  Limit the bone headed penalties, unsportsmanlike and personal fouls will get you beat against a team like Appomattox.  Appomattox will show up to Mitchell Stadium, expecting to win the game.  Graham needs to play their best football on Saturday.

That last sentence means so much in HS football. A lot of games are won simply stepping off the bus knowing you're gonna win or expecting to win, not hoping. 

For how good RV was, and they were talented, I'm not sure they got off the bus truly expecting to win. Graham did. Confidence is such a positive when it's across an entire team. Appomattox will get off the bus expecting to win. Graham absolutely should be considered the favorite, but I can't imagine Appo comes out and lays an egg.

Confidence or lack of it is the reason Radford and Glenvar keep losing to Appo.  Well, it's One of the big reasons.   Appo is in their heads and these teams internally have self doubt about their ability to beat em.  Graham on the other hand in my opinion just doesn't know better.  They come into any game thinking they are going to win.  That's the problem for Appo Saturday.  They are truly going to have to be better than Graham to win, because unlike Radford or Glenvar, Graham isn't coming to "compete".  They are thinking 2 to 3 touchdown win, and that's rare for an Appo opponent to have that mentality.  Appo isn't use to that.

16 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Don't know how they can afford to finance it since the county is so broke they want half your taxes early because their bank account is empty

19 hours ago, EH31 said:

Bluefield, VA never had any real intentions to build Graham a stadium. You’re naive if you really believed that headline grab a couple years ago. 

Graham will never have their own field. TCPS will keep paying whatever number the city of Bluefield wants to ask for rent, no questions asked. 

TCPS won’t make any significant upgrades to Tazewell or Richlands’ stadiums either. Consolidation is on the horizon, whether it’s 10, 20, 30 years away -  it’s inevitable. They’re not going to sink any money into something that won’t have a permanent shelf life. 

Unfortunately I see this as very accurate.  Graham is slightly smaller than Tazewell and I can see both of those getting rolled together in the future 

37 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

@BoBob @oldfool you guys making the trip this weekend?  If so, save me a seat on the Appo side.  Pulling for the Raiders.  😄

I'm scheduled to officiate a track meeet at LU this weekend so I'll have to tune in on Social media. Is there a station doing a radio broadcast?

8 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Confidence or lack of it is the reason Radford and Glenvar keep losing to Appo.  Well, it's One of the big reasons.   Appo is in their heads and these teams internally have self doubt about their ability to beat em.  Graham on the other hand in my opinion just doesn't know better.  They come into any game thinking they are going to win.  That's the problem for Appo Saturday.  They are truly going to have to be better than Graham to win, because unlike Radford or Glenvar, Graham isn't coming to "compete".  They are thinking 2 to 3 touchdown win, and that's rare for an Appo opponent to have that mentality.  Appo isn't use to that.

I dont think Radford had self doubt. i think they have an idiot coach that cant win a game where he doesnt have far superior talent.