Appo vs Graham

Gridiron60

58 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Just saw the facebook post.  Dang, they just take over when they go on the road.  Working out in the weightroom of Bluefield University, practicing on Graham's Home field,  gotta give them credit, they make sure they can prepare.  They come in like they already own the place.

What’s the new tune catchy chant about going to war with the GMen? I don’t know who came up with it this year but I love it! I don’t think the Raiders will get in their heads if that’s the intent. The GMen are prepared too! I asked one of the coaches what he thought about Appo practicing at Mitchell. “We don’t care what they do, we are focused on what we need to do!” Bring on 2pm! 

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Yes, but the VHSL has also sent a couple of card readers to the game.  GHS posted that if you are unable to buy tickets on GoFan or don't want to use GoFan, that you can purchase tickets at the gate with a credit card or debit card (home side only).

Finally got it to come up about 5 minutes after I posted it. Didn't want to make the drive up from Kingsport without a ticket.  Sitting in the stands now. I miss Florida. 😕

I thought Graham was the better team but the luck was on their side. Especially with the special teams. One ball hitting an Appo player and then the kick off rolling to the 1 instead of going out of bounds.  That safety was probably the biggest play of the game. 

8 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

I thought Graham was the better team but the luck was on their side. Especially with the special teams. One ball hitting an Appo player and then the kick off rolling to the 1 instead of going out of bounds.  That safety was probably the biggest play of the game. 

I agree with you.  With that written, Appo had a similar type ever bounce and every call their way type of game against Graham in 2019 down at Appo.

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

And Graham had 2 pooch kickoffs to field that nearly ended in disaster. You have to get your players to get up there and call for a fair catch. Anyone know how many yards Clements wound up with?

Doing some research on fourseasonsfootball and found it crazy that Palmer is like 85-16 in his time at Graham with 6(?) of those losses coming in his first season. Outside of Bluefield, Graham has only lost twice @ mitchell since 2017. Both to Union. That is dominance that deserves recognition for Palmer. 

So alot has been said about Coach Smith beating his team with your players. Well , he had 2 Power 5 commits and an FBS commit today and got sparked. Guess that logic doesn’t apply to Coach Palmer , who has an impeccable record. 

29 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

So alot has been said about Coach Smith beating his team with your players. Well , he had 2 Power 5 commits and an FBS commit today and got sparked. Guess that logic doesn’t apply to Coach Palmer , who has an impeccable record. 

Smith has 5 state titles in 8 years.  5 titles and 1 title (or 2 if Graham wins) aren't the same.

1 minute ago, Fairlawncat said:

Smith has 5 state titles in 8 years.  5 titles and 1 title (or 2 if Graham wins) aren't the same.

Your a Radford fan , right? At least that's what VA Preps say. How many do they have? You have 2 P5 also. 

59 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Doing some research on fourseasonsfootball and found it crazy that Palmer is like 85-16 in his time at Graham with 6(?) of those losses coming in his first season. Outside of Bluefield, Graham has only lost twice @ mitchell since 2017. Both to Union. That is dominance that deserves recognition for Palmer. 

Take away year one it's 79-10

20 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

He has 4. He didn't coach the spring 21 squad.

37 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

Your a Radford fan , right? At least that's what VA Preps say. How many do they have? You have 2 P5 also. 

I am a Radford fan and former player, and I'm not arguing that Radfords Coach is as good as Palmer.  I will certainly argue Appomattox's coach is as good as Palmer, and if we continue, my numbers to argue will beat your numbers for at least the next 4 years, and if everything goes your way, they will then be the same.

8 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I am a Radford fan and former player, and I'm not arguing that Radfords Coach is as good as Palmer.  I will certainly argue Appomattox's coach is as good as Palmer, and if we continue, my numbers to argue will beat your numbers for at least the next 4 years, and if everything goes your way, they will then be the same.

So no arguing here, I’m a Graham fan but didn’t play here. I will put up Salem numbers against anybody in 2A though. as for head to head, Palmer lead 2-1. 

15 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Smith record is 109-27 that's an 80.4% win percentage. I'm not counting games he did not coach.So he's not getting 5.

Palmer is 85-16 that's over 84% win percentage. 

Only thing he has is titles, and that's fair. For now.

9 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

So no arguing here, I’m a Graham fan but didn’t play here. I will put up Salem numbers against anybody in 2A though. as for head to head, Palmer lead 2-1. 

Palmer is up 2-1 over Smith with 2 great wins by the GMen.  Palmer does lead by 1 win  similar to the way Scott Moore from King William leads Palmer by 1 win.

4 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Palmer is up 2-1 over Smith with 2 great wins by the GMen.  Palmer does lead by 1 win  similar to the way Scott Moore from King William leads Palmer by 1 win.

You are correct.  I give the man his due. Beat us pretty good to boot. Hopefully one day we get a chance to play again.

2 minutes ago, CPF said:

You are correct.  I give the man his due. Beat us pretty good to boot. Hopefully one day we get a chance to play again.

I was hoping Graham could play them again so Graham could smack em and get some revenge.  Graham would have taken them this year.  History will not have an asterisk, but I like Graham's chances last year if both linebackers/QB healthy.  I still think it would be a different game.

1 minute ago, Fairlawncat said:

I was hoping Graham could play them again so Graham could smack em and get some revenge.  Graham would have taken them this year.  History will not have an asterisk, but I like Graham's chances last year if both linebackers/QB healthy.  I still think it would be a different game.

It is what it is. You play with what you have. That day they were better. No excuses. 

Not going to argue who has the better coach or staff whom has to assist a head coach, they all have to work with what they have and make something work. The GMEN had the better team on the field saturday they made mistakes and overcame them. Appo made mistakes and failed to shake them off and capitalize on grahams mistakes plain and simple. Graham played a good game and came away as the winner and they deserved it. Appo started this season with a very young and inexperience team and thru hard work and determination made a very very unlikely playoff run. I honestly gave us no chance in the first round. Graham on the other hand started the season like a beast and i inked them in as state champs this year from day one. Congratulations to the GMEN and i'm pulling for you next week not to let me down and win that state championship. 

On 12/2/2022 at 6:27 PM, Gridiron60 said:

Appomattox getting in another evening practice tonight at Mitchell. Heard they went through the “proper” channels this time, lol. I’m fine with it if they did ask the “right” people this time. 

Maybe next year they should ask to use the weight room instead. JS

@oldfool Out of reactions but thanks for the post. Appomattox is an elite program and I have great respect for the coaches and players, class act! Playing y’all only makes the GMen better. It was a dogfight and the Raiders should hold their heads high, great season for a young team. Pennix is amazing! I hope the Raiders & GMen meet again in the future. Hopefully, our boys play hard and smart and bring the hardware home! Certainly appreciate your support! 

Hated missing this game. My wife was listening to it and texting me almost play by play. The Raiders just made too many mistakes ( opening drive fumble, other fumble,...) and some where just bad luck,.. (the punt that bounced back to hit our player, the KO the looked like it was going out of bounds and made an incredible bounce left going straight to the gold line --I couldn't tell if our kid had to pick it up or if it would have carried into the endzone but,....)
Graham made plenty of penalties that the Raiders didn't make them pay for. I'm only watching the HUDL film and haven't finished the game yet but their RB is a problem for sure. And I think 56 made our line look JVish at times.

Graham made more plays (both years). 

Two stellar programs for sure.