Mount Rushmore of Players for each High School

Liam McPoyle

My second pick.  Richlands - Sam Barnett (1992 State Championship Center/Defensive End.)  Coach Willis White remarked that Barnett was the best high school Center he ever saw.  Sam ripped holes open for Brannon Breeding and ushered in the era of the big stud defensive end at Richlands.

I agree with old school blue with the exception of Devon Johnson, whom I replace with Brannon Breeding. My reasoning is not due to being a better player or after high school accolades, but by perceived importance to the program. The consistency and contribution to the state championship put Richlands on the map in my eyes.

Johnson had more stats, and measurables, but rarely played defense although somehow was recognized for it instead of Cody Thomas, the leader of the defense. By no fault of his own I think the foundation was laid prior his arrival by the 1992 and 2006 champions. Even with 2006, I struggle not to include Caleb Jennings and Austin Fuller.

I’ll be happy to hear other bear fans opinions on this but here goes mine. 

1. James Mitchell. What is there to be said? 4 year starter, all state TE each year, took the program to new heights on and off the field. Simply the best Union has had and not close. 

2. Bryce Spears- IMO the best QB in Union history due to his dual threat ability at the QB position. Was a very good WR aswell. 

3. Tanner Kennedy- the best LB in Union history and maybe the best defensive player overall. Incredibly smart on the field and was basically an extra coach. Tough as nails. 

4. Mason polier - absolute monster of a FB/RB and a stud on the defensive side of the ball. 

honorable mentions to Jeb Stidham, Raashaun noakes, Zach Qualls and Jay Gavin. 

Giles—— Leon King, Tyrone Meadows, Keith Johnson, tie between Rowdy Stump and Shawn Eaves

the reason I put Rowdy in the mix is because I don’t think he ever was tackled for a loss.  So many really solid HS football players Roger Nance, Tiger Williams, Greg Mance, Jeff Williams Mark Middleton, Ladale Janie, Marty Meredith could probably list a dozen more and that doesn’t include any one from the last 30 years. 

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

1. James Mitchell. What is there to be said? 4 year starter, all state TE each year, took the program to new heights on and off the field. Simply the best Union has had and not close. 

2. Bryce Spears- IMO the best QB in Union history due to his dual threat ability at the QB position. Was a very good WR aswell. 

3. Tanner Kennedy- the best LB in Union history and maybe the best defensive player overall. Incredibly smart on the field and was basically an extra coach. Tough as nails. 

4. Mason polier - absolute monster of a FB/RB and a stud on the defensive side of the ball. 

Honorable mentions All 16 Unions Coaches,I might of missed a few 

My "Mount Rushmore" for Galax football might surprise some folks. I'm sure others will disagree. 

1. Austin Pack - QB on the 2011 state runner-up team. Mark Dixon has told me several times, everything Galax football has accomplished over the past decade started with Austin. He's a natural born leader. People gravitate to him and follow him not fully knowing why. He was instrumental in getting this program off the mat. He was a really damned good athlete too!
  2. Steven Peoples - Not sure I need to explain more.
  3. Caleb Spurlin - See above.
  4. Brandon Brown - Brandon was supremely talented but unfortunate to play during an era when Galax football was nothing more than a doormat. IYKYK

I can provide the definitive Top-3 for Carroll County/Hillsville. Nobody could possibly argue against those. But I couldn't find a fourth. Maybe someone could offer some suggestions.

1. Frank Beamer - No explanation needed.
  2. Lynne Conner - Started all 11 games as a redshirt freshman at Wake Forest. Led the Demon Deacons in interceptions, punt return yardage and kick return yardage. Finished his career as an NAIA All-American at Ferrum for reasons I won't go into here. Supremely gifted athlete. 
  3. Kim Gillespie - Played at Richmond and was team captain in 1983. 
  4. ???

10 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

1. Brandon Bunch- best union o lineman ever by a wide margin 

2. James Mitchell - it’s james mitchell 

3. Mason Polier - absolute tank on both sides 

4. Tanner Kennedy - football genius pure stud LB

Hm: Lomax, Qualls, Spears, Jeb Stidham, Zirkle, Jay Gavin, Noaks, Fannon, Evan Duncan. 

10 hours ago, Bandana Knight said:

Giles—— Leon King, Tyrone Meadows, Keith Johnson, tie between Rowdy Stump and Shawn Eaves

the reason I put Rowdy in the mix is because I don’t think he ever was tackled for a loss.  So many really solid HS football players Roger Nance, Tiger Williams, Greg Mance, Jeff Williams Mark Middleton, Ladale Janie, Marty Meredith could probably list a dozen more and that doesn’t include any one from the last 30 years. 

Some of these guys were good players bur not at the level for this thread

From my alma mater, Richlands, I think I would put these four:

1. Mike Compton--went on to be a Consensus All-American at WVU. Started at Center for three years there. Lombardi Award Finalist, named a first team All-American by numerous outlets, 2x First Team All Big East. Third Round NFL Draft pick. Blocked for Sanders in Detroit. Won SB XXXVI and XXXVII in New England and played for the Jacksonville Jaguars before embarking on a high school and collegiate coaching career.

2. Devon Johnson--at Richlands, Johnson in his career finished with 457 carries 4,340 rushing yards, 9.5 yards per carry, 63 rushing touchdowns, 23 receptions, 399 yards receiving, six receiving touchdowns to go along with 216 tackles, 47 TFLs, 16 sacks, 10 FFs, 1 INT--this was at a time when the starters at Richlands were pulled after the first drive in the third quarter on a lot of nights. At Marshall, Johnson rushed for 2,373 yards which ranks ninth all time at Marshall. 25 rushing touchdowns, which is 12th all time at Marshall. Johnson averaged 7.78 yards a carry (305/2,373)--the best in Thundering Herd history. Johnson had six games in which he rushed for 150 or more yards. (12 at 100 or more). Johnson rushed for 100 or more yards in seven consecutive games and three consecutive games where he had 150 or more yards--the best in Marshall history. Johnson holds the single game rushing record at Marshall where he finished the 2014 contest with FAU in 2014 with 272 rushing yards. Johnson's 2014 season saw him rush for 1,767 yards which is second most in Marshall history for a single season. Johnson also finished sixth in the country in rushing in 2014 (behind some guys you may have heard of Melvin Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Ezekiel Elliott, Donnel Pumphery and Jay Ajayi). Devon was a first team Conference USA selection and a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award. Devon went on to sign with the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent where he stayed on with the Panthers for the 2016 season before being waived in 2017. 

3. Matt McGlothlin--Matt was a first team all SWD selection on offense and defense, and a firs team all state selection. McGlothlin walked onto the Tennessee program in 2002 and then played in all 12 games for the Vols in 2003 where he even started two contests. In 2005, McGlothlin saw significant playing time but in 2006 McGlothlin saw his most productive where he finished with 15 tackles. Matt signed a UDFA deal with the Kansas City Chiefs and then spent some time in the Arena League with the Orlando Predators.

4. Terry Wess--A 1969 graduate of Richlands High School that started for three years as a QB at RHS, who had an offer to go to Marshall on a football scholarship. His number is retired by the program. Wess was a longtime assistant coach at Richlands and was the head coach in 1993 where he led the Blues to a 7-3 record. 

These are the four I would put on the list. The Honorable Mentions would have to consist of: Caleb Jennings, Justin McCracken, Austin Fuller, John Luke Asbury, Billy Cranwell, Brannon Breeding, Jeremy McCommons, Sandy Rogers, Bradley Strong, Taylor Wade, Josh Hess, Cody Thomas, Brad Salyers, Timmy Brown. And others. I am sure I am leaving out some names.

53 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Didn't Brandon Steele end up having a pretty nice career at Penn State? 

Great memory, Sixcat. Brandon Steele,1996 Roanoke Timesland POY, went to Penn State as a walk-on before  earning a scholarship. https://gopsusports.com/news/2000/12/21/brandon_steele_earns_nacda_post_graduate_scholarship.aspx

Mine for Richlands would be:

Devon Johnson

Mike Compton

John-Luke Asbury

Caleb Jennings

HM: Brannon Breeding, Cody Thomas, Terry Wess, Brian Beavers, Austin Fuller, Cody Howie, Matt McGlothlin, Justin McCracken, Shane Wicks

Tazewell:

George Grimes, John Rainey, Jesse Davis, Robbie Colley

Could also throw in: Steve Mitchem, Dave Rider, Stephan Holloway, Cassius Harris, TJ Rasnick, Matt Muncy, Mark Muncey, Chancellor Harris, I am sure I am leaving some folks out.

5 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Great memory, Sixcat. Brandon Steele,1996 Roanoke Timesland POY, went to Penn State as a walk-on before  earning a scholarship. https://gopsusports.com/news/2000/12/21/brandon_steele_earns_nacda_post_graduate_scholarship.aspx

My brother played against him in high school and he always stood out in my mind. He was as dominant a high school player as I've ever seen. We are in the same profession also, so our paths cross on occasion. Very nice guy!!!

2 hours ago, rvtne216 said:

Tazewell:

George Grimes, John Rainey, Jesse Davis, Robbie Colley

Could also throw in: Steve Mitchem, Dave Rider, Stephan Holloway, Cassius Harris, TJ Rasnick, Matt Muncy, Mark Muncey, Chancellor Harris, I am sure I am leaving some folks out.

Dave Rider played at Big Creek and played 3 ways at WVU, offense, defense, and special teams. He played under Merle Gainer at Big Creek, the legend who went on to coach at Bluefield High