Mount Rushmore of Players for each High School

Liam McPoyle

15 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Cook would be top 4 for sure at Giles imo.  Side Note- Kip Green (not close to top 4 at Giles or Radford) but neverthless, a pretty good High School player, who transferred to Radford High of course, will be in contention for 2nd string next year at Coastal Carolina.  Coastal loses some up front, but he has a chance for a fair amount of playing time for the Chanticleers next year.

Good for Kip....great kid

Think he was in 2 deep this year...at least his dad said he was earlier in year

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Mine would be Edd Clark, Tom Turner, Travis Turner, and Travis Clark with HMs including Chris Mabe and Jamie Jessee

Yeah it’s kinda impossible to pick 4 from a school that had so many great players over 50 years.  Be easier picking 4 from each decade 

11 hours ago, bearforce1 said:

1. Brandon Bunch- best union o lineman ever by a wide margin 

2. James Mitchell - it’s james mitchell 

3. Mason Polier - absolute tank on both sides 

4. Tanner Kennedy - football genius pure stud LB

Hm: Lomax, Qualls, Spears, Jeb Stidham, Zirkle, Jay Gavin, Noaks, Fannon, Evan Duncan. 

Apparently you must be new and on the coaching staff. There is no one in Unions short history that should go above James Mitchell. Started all 4 years 4 time all state and so on. Tanner Kennedy hands down 1 of the greatest lbs to ever step foot on bullet parks grass. Including the old lpd days. Would have loved to see him play and wear blue and gold. Bryce Spears in 1 year at qb had 35 tds and 2 picks. Pollier was just a beast off the edge his 1st 2 years and then then coaches screwed up and put him in the middle. Jeb stidum was by far a beast in the middle of that defense line and could take over a game by himself started all 4 years as well. Not saying bunch wasn't good but he doesn't even make top 10. I can name so many more from 2011 to 2015 to keep him possibly outside top 20.

38 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

Apparently you must be new and on the coaching staff. There is no one in Unions short history that should go above James Mitchell. Started all 4 years 4 time all state and so on. Tanner Kennedy hands down 1 of the greatest lbs to ever step foot on bullet parks grass. Including the old lpd days. Would have loved to see him play and wear blue and gold. Bryce Spears in 1 year at qb had 35 tds and 2 picks. Pollier was just a beast off the edge his 1st 2 years and then then coaches screwed up and put him in the middle. Jeb stidum was by far a beast in the middle of that defense line and could take over a game by himself started all 4 years as well. Not saying bunch wasn't good but he doesn't even make top 10. I can name so many more from 2011 to 2015 to keep him possibly outside top 20.

wasn’t meant to be in order, mitchell the obvious best. and no i’m not on backpack brigade LOL and yes i agree polier should have been left at end but who else would have lined Cj jones up correctly haha 

The consolidated schools should be fairly easy.  I’m not sure why we have to pick top 4 instead of 5. It might be easier to pick the best at each position….probably more fair. As for Ridgeview you have to start with Trenton Adkins at top.  If COVID hadn’t of taken his senior year he had a shot at the all-time VHSL rushing record.  The next four are debatable but you’d have to look at the Sproles brothers, Gibson at DL, Jacob Hensley at DB. The current players have valid arguments…O’Quinn and Beavers have all of the school passing and receiving records and they might stand for a while although Beavers lost most of a year to COVID and O’Quinn avoided that.  If O’Quinn stays he will have around 10,000 yards passing!  Counts was a four year starter at SS and Hill has to be looked at for all-around play.

11 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Yeah it’s kinda impossible to pick 4 from a school that had so many great players over 50 years.  Be easier picking 4 from each decade 

Sums up how I feel about Narrows from the 1960's onward.  Hell, had kids getting full rides to schools that are present day SEC schools back in the 30's.  Would be damn near impossible.

12 hours ago, EH31 said:

Has any Richlands folks named Bradley Strong?

I did mention his brother, Reece Strong, but you are right #1, Bradley Strong was money for Richlands.  When ball thrown to him he was going to catch and rarely negative yards.  Reece and Bradley were a great duo as QB and WR, also very personable young men.  

23 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Appy would have to be Edd Clark Tom Turner Chris Mabe Travis Turner or Travis Clark for the fourth slot but I’m missing some of the old school guys who went about 4 years and lost about 2 games in their career 

Any Appalachia list would need to include Paul Davis who played at UNC and 2-3 seasons in the NFL. 

So hard for Graham fans.  Only four is a disservice to so many.  I’ll go Bradshaw, Eddie Hall, Glynn Carlock, and, as current trajectory supports, Palmer as a coach/player.  

1 hour ago, GHS89 said:

So hard for Graham fans.  Only four is a disservice to so many.  I’ll go Bradshaw, Eddie Hall, Glynn Carlock, and, as current trajectory supports, Palmer as a coach

Without coaches it would be Dickie Asbury,Ahmad Bradshaw, Bullet Bill Dudley and Cameron Allen. In my opinion if you get your number retired or are in a Hall of fame you make the list. Honorable mention.....Eddie Hall, Eddie Neel, and Don Danko. Too many to have to choose from.

Despite a vast number of great players at Gate City, I believe Phil Rogers, Mickey Rogers, Chad Beasley, and Jake Houseright stand above all the rest. Of course all four went on to have successful careers at Virginia Tech. Phil Rogers was VT's first 1,000 yard rusher before switching positions to become the school's first Black QB. He was drafted by the Cardinals and played a season in the CFL. Beasley was drafted by the Vikings and played for the Browns.

10 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Despite a vast number of great players at Gate City, I believe Phil Rogers, Mickey Rogers, Chad Beasley, and Jake Houseright stand above all the rest. Of course all four went on to have successful careers at Virginia Tech. Phil Rogers was VT's first 1,000 yard rusher before switching positions to become the school's first Black QB. He was drafted by the Cardinals and played a season in the CFL. Beasley was drafted by the Vikings and played for the Browns.

Jeff Baker gets a mention here as well. He played at Georgia Tech. 

20 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I agree with you.  Those guys were exceptional players.  I think Stan Rogers and Carson Jenkins are high on the list too.

12 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Jeff Baker gets a mention here as well. He played at Georgia Tech. 

11 hours ago, KevinG said:

I agree with you.  Those guys were exceptional players.  I think Stan Rogers and Carson Jenkins are high on the list too.

Absolutely agree on all three. I'd also throw Josh Shoemaker into the conversation. I'm fairly confident he could've also had a successful D1 football career.   

On 11/30/2022 at 4:06 PM, Union_Fan said:

I'm not even sure where to start on that. So many outstanding players.

PV - Thomas and Julius, Upton Jackson, Dennis Blagg, Chris Harris, Matt Stidham, the McCoy brothers, Chad Bishop, Robbie Duncan, Keith Hall, etc...

Appy - Ed Clark, Travis Turner, Travis Clark, "Radio" Stuart, Tim Sturgill, Huff that went to West Point, Tom Turner, Chris Mabe, Jason Evans, etc...

I agree with everyone you listed and think it would be about impossible to nail down a top four from PV. TJ and JJ are for sure but there's 25 other guys worthy as well. Not to mention guys like the Dortons, Todd Zirkle, and I know people thought a little diff bc his last name but Brad Robbins was a very, very good HS QB

On 12/1/2022 at 6:00 AM, SW_VA_boy said:

Sums up how I feel about Narrows from the 1960's onward.  Hell, had kids getting full rides to schools that are present day SEC schools back in the 30's.  Would be damn near impossible.

But with only 1 All-american in the history of the school? I'd say Dan Phlegar is the best player ever from Narrows and it's a crap shoot after that. There's been several All State players but nothing really to speak of.