Mount Rushmore of Players for each High School

Liam McPoyle

On 11/30/2022 at 5:27 PM, elefan said:

Yes, I believe you’re right. I’m sure I’m leaving out a couple of other great guys from the the first few years that lhs was opened. I am getting too old to remember back that far! I remember their abilities, just can’t remember all of the names. The level of talent was out of this world back then and it remained top notch until around the early 2000’s if my memory serves me correctly. Not putting anyone down that came after. I just feel like it is a different for world now and MOST kids are not the same.   

Chris Day was the quarterback Lee High's first season.  Brady Yeary was one of the best RB's in Lee's history.  Had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball the first 7 or 8 years Lee was open.

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, UnionGuy2017 said:

I’ll be happy to hear other bear fans opinions on this but here goes mine. 

1. James Mitchell. What is there to be said? 4 year starter, all state TE each year, took the program to new heights on and off the field. Simply the best Union has had and not close. 

2. Bryce Spears- IMO the best QB in Union history due to his dual threat ability at the QB position. Was a very good WR aswell. 

3. Tanner Kennedy- the best LB in Union history and maybe the best defensive player overall. Incredibly smart on the field and was basically an extra coach. Tough as nails. 

4. Mason polier - absolute monster of a FB/RB and a stud on the defensive side of the ball. 

honorable mentions to Jeb Stidham, Raashaun noakes, Zach Qualls and Jay Gavin. 

Raashaun Noaks was a 2 time All state WR and One Time All state Safety with 5-6 touches a game.... 

On 11/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, old_school_blue said:

For Union fans...what about Powell Valley and Appalachia.  Thomas and Julius have to be top of the list for PV.  Tucker at fullback in the early 90's...lot of good ones there.  I am not as familiar with Appalachia.  I recall Chris Mabe, I think.

Matt Stidham was the best fullback at PV and Robbie Fox would be the next.

Solid list provided by Sixcat regarding Galax........I would have Spurlin at the top for all 4 years contribution.  I would also have J. Dixon and in the same line as Pack , Frankie Shalabi(sp) who was a great defender,blocker and caught some timely passes from FB/TE position. 

On 11/30/2022 at 3:58 PM, Duke2015 said:

Definitely the best QB we’ve had just wish it wasn’t 1 year 

The success of Union QBs is based on how well the slot rec. can manipulate screen passes. That Noaks kid (that everyone is forgetting) would have 2-3 touchdowns off 6 touches. let alone him and mitchell are the only players at Union that was all state on two sides of the ball..   

On 12/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, JDHoss said:

Jeff Baker gets a mention here as well. He played at Georgia Tech. 

Baker is the only GC football player in the VHSL HOF...he was a man among boys!

On 12/1/2022 at 5:50 PM, Observer said:

Clintwood - Justin Hamilton, Johnny McFall, Yogi Mooney and Seth Askins

Askins isn’t in the top 100 of players to have came through Clintwood. First three would be hard to argue against. As for a fourth player I would have Gavan Meade, Austin Dotson, Honaker Brothers, Bobby Meade all in consideration but I would have to lean towards Gavan for the forth spot. He was a state champ and had the single season rushing record. 

B. Hackney - 2,000 yard Tailback

J. Bowen - 2,000 yard Tailback and a hell of a Linebacker

J. Compton - QB, still in the VHSL record book. Led probably the most prolific passing offense in Haysi history

#4 gets tricky and im not sure honestly

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

J. Compton - QB, still in the VHSL record book. Led probably the most prolific passing offense in Haysi history

Redtiger, where did Tester play?  Was he out of Haysi?  

On 3/7/2023 at 10:54 AM, redtiger said:

4 Might as well be Coach Colley himself if he played there and combine his coaching history.  If not, maybe one of his sons.  Blake Owens was a pretty stout back in the day as well.

Blake was a stud on both sides of the ball. Game changer at LB and a complete TE.

Robby was a tremendously skilled player, really shined at Safety and as a kick returner.

Jake was an incredible athlete and very versatile. Would have been incredible as a WR. 

You might be right about Coach, very strong career as a player and his impact as a HC cant be put into words.  

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia High School Bearcats—-first 3 were easy, 4th was tough to choose…

Gene Evers—All American at Tennessee and College HOF

Beattie Feathers—1st NFL RB to go over 1000 yards in a season

Darryal Wilson—Tennessee WR, New England Patriots WR; Olympic Track

Milton Franklin—VT RB, now Bridgewater College Chief of Police  

22 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Virginia High School Bearcats—-first 3 were easy, 4th was tough to choose…

Gene Evers—All American at Tennessee and College HOF

Beattie Feathers—1st NFL RB to go over 1000 yards in a season

Darryal Wilson—Tennessee WR, New England Patriots WR; Olympic Track

Milton Franklin—VT RB, now Bridgewater College Chief of Police  

If I may make a suggestion for your #4 spot...

http://hof.ehc.edu/members/william-m-earp/

My Marion Mt. Rushmore consists of four Emory & Henry Hall of Famers. 

-Art “Scrapper” Broady (RB?/DB) came to Marion HS when Smyth Co schools integrated in the mid-60s and made Marion way better in everything. He became the first African-American player for Emory & Henry where he became a record-setting DB  http://hof.ehc.edu/members/art-scrapper-broady/

-Larry Bales (QB) was All-State at Marion in the mid-60s before becoming starting QB as freshman at E&H. Bales also played RB and WR for the Wasps and was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in 1969 (R7). http://hof.ehc.edu/members/larry-bales/

-Johnny Wilson (WR) played in mid-70s and remains among Marion's best-ever all-around athletes. He began his collegiate career at Virginia Tech before transferring to E&H and becoming a three-time all-ODAC WR. http://hof.ehc.edu/members/johnny-wilson/

-Marshall Doss (RB/LB) played for the Canes  from '98-'01. Doss began his career at ETSU before transferring to, you guessed it, Emory & Henry. He was the 2006 ODAC Defensive POY  and an NCAA Division III All-American Honorable Mention.http://hof.ehc.edu/members/marshall-doss/

Honorable Mention:

Ron Bales QB mid-60s (also in E&H HOF)

Ethan Richardson- RB '09-'12-Holds most every rushing record at MSHS; Played collegiately at Concord U

Mark Puckett-RB/LB '84-'87-A true man among boys. An opponent once described Puckett as a tank in football cleats.

Kokie Wagner: RB ''74-'77 Played collegiately at Bluefield State

7 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

-Marshall Doss (RB/LB) played for the Canes  from '98-'01. Doss began his career at ETSU before transferring to, you guessed it, Emory & Henry. He was the 2006 ODAC Defensive POY  and an NCAA Division III All-American Honorable Mention.http://hof.ehc.edu/members/marshall-doss/

Isn't he the varsity boys basketball coach and defensive coordinator at Grayson? Former defensive coordinator at Ferrum College?

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Isn't he the varsity boys basketball coach and defensive coordinator at Grayson? Former defensive coordinator at Ferrum College?

For now yes. He was also had coaching stints at Brevard College and Emory. His name keep popping up for head coaching opening in Smyth county

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Yes, you're correct. I wonder if Grayson realizes how fortunate they are to have both Stephen James and Doss on the sidelines?

10 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Yes, you're correct. I wonder if Grayson realizes how fortunate they are to have both Stephen James and Doss on the sidelines?

It depends on who you ask. For one of the lowest paying school systems in the state to be paying two coaches in excess of $80k per year, it's driven a wedge in the community. I'm not sure how sustainable it's going to be long-term. The Grayson school system already has one of the highest rates of turnover in Virginia. This can't be helping solve that problem. 

14 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It depends on who you ask. For one of the lowest paying school systems in the state to be paying two coaches in excess of $80k per year, it's driven a wedge in the community. I'm not sure how sustainable it's going to be long-term. The Grayson school system already has one of the highest rates of turnover in Virginia. This can't be helping solve that problem. 

You beat me to it. I was going to say the know because they are paying for it. I dont know how much they are pay Doss but I knew James is make admin pay to run the weight room and coach football which is a nice deal if you can get it

23 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

You beat me to it. I was going to say the know because they are paying for it. I dont know how much they are pay Doss but I knew James is make admin pay to run the weight room and coach football which is a nice deal if you can get it

Rumors being what they are, I guess Doss is making a normal salary. But James is making more than the principals. 

https://govsalaries.com/salaries/VA/grayson-county-public-schools?page=1